Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 7:39 pm

Battery service message 6+ months over a year for sure but sadly can't afford to fix it $150 at the Mac store and it's only a Mid 2012 model Macbook Air. But I noticed of late that opening 2-3 windows the fan starts blowing and it feels like touching a stove!

I have an i7 core 8GB Ram PAID $1700 TO MAX THIS SUCKER OUT! Yes I've looked but financially I can NOT afford to repair the battery yet alone an expensive new computer OR ANY COMPUTER! (Trying to get back on disability ZERO income right now).

So trying to make this WORK for now! But 2-3 windows and it's STOVE TOP HOT SHEESH!

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

I don't know that much about macs, but I'm guessing that they are built similarly to laptops I've owned. I've had to open one of mine up and clean out the fan a few times.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Extend-your-laptop-s-life!-Clean-the-dust-out-of-i/

This is just some random article I found, but it's what I did. Plus put some compound on the heat sink to help transfer the heat. It worked pretty well. I don't know much about computers, but if I have problem, I usually just look it up online and fix whatever it is myself.

Jermaine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Apr 2016, 10:44 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Battery service message 6+ months over a year for sure but sadly can't afford to fix it $150 at the Mac store and it's only a Mid 2012 model Macbook Air. But I noticed of late that opening 2-3 windows the fan starts blowing and it feels like touching a stove!

I have an i7 core 8GB Ram PAID $1700 TO MAX THIS SUCKER OUT! Yes I've looked but financially I can NOT afford to repair the battery yet alone an expensive new computer OR ANY COMPUTER! (Trying to get back on disability ZERO income right now).

So trying to make this WORK for now! But 2-3 windows and it's STOVE TOP HOT SHEESH!

Fixing it yourself will cost $75-85. That includes the "official" apple battery or best possible 3rd party knock off (never buy cheap batteries) + the tool set.

What's the screen size of your Macbook ?

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 7:58 am

Jermaine wrote:
zeldapsychology wrote:

Fixing it yourself will cost $75-85. That includes the "official" apple battery or best possible 3rd party knock off (never buy cheap batteries) + the tool set.

What's the screen size of your Macbook ?

13" :-)

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 6:16 pm

From the sounds of it, there are more problems at work than a dead battery and I wouldn't throw serious money on ageing hardware. Best bet is a full disassembly and clean and possibly reapplication of thermal compound for the CPU as suggested by Yigeren. The other possibility is that your ageing machine is starting to struggle with Apple's bloatware and you could try running a lighter operating system from the GNU Linux family to get a bit more life out of your system.