Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 10:10 pm

I may have downloaded an emulator that did not agree with my Windows 7 laptop. I tried removing what I downloaded and performing a system restore thrice, but it was all to no avail. What should I do (besides purchase a new firewall or computer)?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 10:37 am

Are you using the Windows System restore rollback utility, or does Nortons now provide one? I've used Nortons years ago, and I was NOT impressed with it at all.

I would not purchase a new computer unless you can afford one. Does the computer have a system restore partition on it, that can be accessed on boot? If you don't know what this is, a lot of computers sowadays do not come with media, but there is a partition on the system that allows you to restore the system to factory spec that can be accessed via function keys not unlike you bios access when you cold boot the system. --This may be an option for you, but bear in mind if you do this, you will loose any data that you have on the system, as it essentially wipes the Windows partition clean and does a fresh install.

If you have another system that you can use to backup you files from the hard drive, this will be a plus if you cannot access your files from the system that is has the problems.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 2:50 pm

You need to be more specific. What "emulator" did you install, and what exactly do you mean by that it "did not agree" with your laptop? Normally, if my system is hosed beyond repair, I back up my files to another drive, format my hard disk, and reinstall Windows (provided that you have the installation disc). I've seen it way to often where computer illiterate people get malware or other kinds of software that slows down Windows, so instead of just reinstalling the operating system and having a clean PC again, they throw out their computer and buy a new one.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 5:19 pm

^ I believe "jxpiinstall.exe" was what it was called. After restarting my computer, it was running pretty slow, so I restarted it again and learned that my Norton was wrecked beyond repair (the white X on red seemed pretty straightforward). I'm really scared because my mom might get upset because of what I did; I don't think she'll want to get her next Norton CD earlier than usual, and I doubt she'll trust me with computers anymore. (Yes, I still live with my parents.) My uncle might also be displeased since he was the one who got me my most recent PC.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 11:20 am

If the worst comes to pass and you cannot find windows to install on the computer, install this. the latest version of LinuxMint's Long Term Release with KDE Desktop Environment. --You'll still be able to use the computer, and you will not have issues with malware with it.

FWIW, KDE is a desktop environment with a workflow that is similar to Windows.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jul 2016, 11:11 pm

Perhaps there's something like a virus on your comp. I would try installing some free antivirus programs(one at a time of coarse) & seeing if one of em can fix your comp. I use AVG but perhaps others can suggest better free programs.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition