Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 7:23 am

I live in a country with many electric cars. The government here taxes everything, so the Norwegian net salaries for skilled workers and graduates aren't higher than in the UK, Germany or many other western countries. They do not tax electric cars, though, so you have regular middle-class people owning Teslas.

It is extremely rare for an electric car to catch fire; much less likely than a gasoline-powered car.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 8:50 pm

I think that flexible solar cells mounted all over the body of an electric vehicle, as well as something like a flywheel regenerative brake system could go a long way toward reducing the amount of battery a car would need to carry. As well as using more efficiently designed electric motors.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 9:42 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I think that flexible solar cells mounted all over the body of an electric vehicle, as well as something like a flywheel regenerative brake system could go a long way toward reducing the amount of battery a car would need to carry. As well as using more efficiently designed electric motors.

I have my doubts about the practicality of flexible solar cells mounted all over the body of an electric vehicle. They are looking at super-capacitors to store regen power. Presumably EVs will be improving greatly in the coming years.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2020, 11:11 pm

i read a while ago, that chrysler was working on extracting hydrogen from ordinary gasoline, to power electric vehicles with. how ironic, to gas up your [chrysler] electric car.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 1:15 am

CarlM wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:

I have my doubts about the practicality of flexible solar cells mounted all over the body of an electric vehicle. They are looking at super-capacitors to store regen power. Presumably EVs will be improving greatly in the coming years.

I think the solar cells are basically untapped potential. Not opposed to the idea of capacitors (or supercapacitors). Don't really know anything about them.
I'm actually trying to develop a motor right now. Haven't made much headway yet, but so far my idea is proving to have some validity.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 7:38 pm

elbowgrease wrote:
I think the solar cells are basically untapped potential. Not opposed to the idea of capacitors (or supercapacitors). Don't really know anything about them.
I'm actually trying to develop a motor right now. Haven't made much headway yet, but so far my idea is proving to have some validity.

Good to hear you're working on improving EVs :D. I can see how supercapacitors would add some complexity to the now simple motor drive circuitry. And they have more value for small battery EVs and the battery capacity keeps growing. Still, they might use the supercapacitors at some point.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2020, 9:49 pm

various people have experimented with using compressed air as an energy storage medium. solar power could run the air compressor while the car is resting, topping up the tank as it were. :idea: the compressed air basically powers an engine with pistons. for city cars this has been proven to be practical with enough range to get around town. less expensive than a buncha batteries.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 4:53 am

^^ ^^ ^^ etc. Just found this thread.
The Air Car was a stock fraud. Air gives very low range, and if every car used it, traffic jams and parking lots would be highly explosive. Batteries and gasoline can burn, but air can release all its power at once.

There have been tremendous advances in lightweight electric motors lately, using pancake designs and new construction techniques, as well as better magnets and electronic commutation. It is a new frontier.

The solar race cars competing in Australia are showing the limits of the area of a car vs its power draw. However, in sunny places, a neighbourhood runabout seems feasible.

The biggest bone I have to pick with modern electric cars is that people are starting from the gasoline car rather than a velomobile. There is no good excuse for a land vehicle to weigh more than its payload. If we are going electric, we can also merge the trends toward self-driving cars and delivery robots, light rail, and electric trains. Our pods should be able to form road trains in special lanes to reduce air resistance and improve both road usage and safety. The trains can re-form at entrances and exits like regular freeway traffic, but again with computers planning the merging safely.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 7:11 am

Dear_one wrote:
^^ ^^ ^^ etc. Just found this thread.
The Air Car was a stock fraud. Air gives very low range, and if every car used it, traffic jams and parking lots would be highly explosive. Batteries and gasoline can burn, but air can release all its power at once.

There have been tremendous advances in lightweight electric motors lately, using pancake designs and new construction techniques, as well as better magnets and electronic commutation. It is a new frontier.

The solar race cars competing in Australia are showing the limits of the area of a car vs its power draw. However, in sunny places, a neighbourhood runabout seems feasible.

The biggest bone I have to pick with modern electric cars is that people are starting from the gasoline car rather than a velomobile. There is no good excuse for a land vehicle to weigh more than its payload. If we are going electric, we can also merge the trends toward self-driving cars and delivery robots, light rail, and electric trains. Our pods should be able to form road trains in special lanes to reduce air resistance and improve both road usage and safety. The trains can re-form at entrances and exits like regular freeway traffic, but again with computers planning the merging safely.

wait a minute. you're saying that personal cars should be designed so that they could hook up to other cars to form adhoc railroad trains?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 7:13 am

self-driving cars electronically connected via something like 5G wouldn't need physical bonds, they would automatically form in closer order, perhaps a foot away from each other to form virtual caravans designed to greatly increase traffic density and fit more cars onto the existing roads. cheaper in the long run than building more roads.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 9:20 am

auntblabby wrote:
self-driving cars electronically connected via something like 5G wouldn't need physical bonds, they would automatically form in closer order, perhaps a foot away from each other to form virtual caravans designed to greatly increase traffic density and fit more cars onto the existing roads. cheaper in the long run than building more roads.

That's the idea. They might have matching bumpers, but normally, they could run at near-zero clearance and never touch. The roadway would know when a gap was approaching an entrance ramp, and time the merge perfectly. Once on the guideway, you could select an exit and pay no more attention until reaching it. You could re-charge while under way, possibly using steel wheels on rails for extra efficiency on the expressway. With lightweight pods as the primary traffic, roads could go over instead of through neighbourhoods. There could be robo-cars for hauling children and freight, with bulk goods spread over a long train. Real drivers could take over from the exits on the much more demanding open roads.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 9:22 am

i wonder if any oldsters [like me] among us will live long enough to experience this brave new techy world?