Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2016, 8:19 am

Seeing of us predicted the collapse of the housing market and bet against it doing so whenever thought he was crazy I sort of had some thoughts on this.

Anyone have any experience in investing and growing nest egg or something for quick returns?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 8:49 am

Yes, forget about quick returns. You can't beat the professionals, who are experts at extracting money from people who want quick returns.

But, if you have reasonable expectations, patience, and a strategy appropriate for your risk tolerance, you can get a good return over a long period of time (over 10 years).

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/t ... 22384.html
And, even if you do beat the professionals, chances are that the government will take a big bite out of your profits.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2016, 11:43 am

BTDT wrote:
Yes, forget about quick returns. You can't beat the professionals, who are experts at extracting money from people who want quick returns.

But, if you have reasonable expectations, patience, and a strategy appropriate for your risk tolerance, you can get a good return over a long period of time (over 10 years).

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/t ... 22384.html
And, even if you do beat the professionals, chances are that the government will take a big bite out of your profits.

You know a good site or place to get good advice on this subject?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2016, 11:58 am

http://www.fool.com/60second/indexfund.htm
Here is a page that seems pretty reasonable--lots of other stuff on the site that I don't have time to critique.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2016, 12:30 am

HisShadowX wrote:
Seeing of us predicted the collapse of the housing market and bet against it doing so whenever thought he was crazy I sort of had some thoughts on this.

Anyone have any experience in investing and growing nest egg or something for quick returns?

I have 'followed' this issue extensively.
I'm willing to help you, if you'd like but I'll need some context first.

Approx. answers will suffice.

1. your age range?
2. employed/not?
3. how much have you read?.......ie. gauge your present knowledge level
4. do u have children?
5. how deep do you want to get into this?...ie.motivation/commitment level

:D

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2016, 8:15 am

slave wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:

1. your age range?
2. employed/not?
4. do u have children?

1. 31
2. Employed
3. Beginner tried doing some things on Nadex. I won one and lost about 100 bucks quick.
4. Yes
5. Definitely looking to get into this and learn as much as I can. I am really looking to get to know how the market really works and where those little holes are here and try to make a profit.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 8:50 am

By nadex I assume you mean binary options? This is really unregulated gambling, not investing.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2016, 10:43 am

BTDT wrote:
By nadex I assume you mean binary options? This is really unregulated gambling, not investing.

Right.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 12:58 pm

Aspies are good at spotting patterns and identifying issues that can be quite useful in investing.

But, making a quick profit also requires precision timing--this fellow figured out that the housing market would collapse but he did it way too early.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/12/31/housin ... tlett.html

You can't make a profit if the market is too stupid to realize what you have figured out. 8O

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 6:24 pm

HisShadowX wrote:
slave wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:

1. your age range?
2. employed/not?
4. do u have children?

1. 31
2. Employed
3. Beginner tried doing some things on Nadex. I won one and lost about 100 bucks quick.
4. Yes
5. Definitely looking to get into this and learn as much as I can. I am really looking to get to know how the market really works and where those little holes are here and try to make a profit.

Nadex is a very dangerous place to start. Options require a very definite skill set and engaging in Options/Spreads trading without said skills is pure gambling...not investing.

I don't mean to be harsh, just honest.

Given that you have youth on your side, I would respectfully advise you to acquaint yourself with the context within which you will be functioning as an Investor.

Dr. C. Martenson has prepared this series for ppl like you to provide said context.

All market activity occurs within a Geo-political-regulatory-historical context and the machinations of the market cannot be understood, regardless of trading knowledge, without a good handle on the Overall Picture.

It is germane that the GFC of 2008 be well understood as it pertains to the flattened yield curve, interest rates and the CB policy interventions.

Let me know if you need clarification. :D

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2016, 9:24 pm

HisShadowX wrote:

Eliminate the word "quick" from your vocabulary. You can make money with -sound- investments. The only "quick" returns are for people who win the lotto or pick a winner at the race track.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2016, 8:04 pm

slave wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:
slave wrote:
HisShadowX wrote:

1. your age range?
2. employed/not?
4. do u have children?

1. 31
2. Employed
4. Yes

Nadex is a very dangerous place to start. Options require a very definite skill set and engaging in Options/Spreads trading without said skills is pure gambling...not investing.

I don't mean to be harsh, just honest.

Given that you have youth on your side, I would respectfully advise you to acquaint yourself with the context within which you will be functioning as an Investor.

Dr. C. Martenson has prepared this series for ppl like you to provide said context.

All market activity occurs within a Geo-political-regulatory-historical context and the machinations of the market cannot be understood, regardless of trading knowledge, without a good handle on the Overall Picture.

It is germane that the GFC of 2008 be well understood as it pertains to the flattened yield curve, interest rates and the CB policy interventions.

Let me know if you need clarification. :D

Thank you I am going to review that video in the morning on the way to work. I'll send you a private message afterwards if thats okay if I have any more questions?

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2016, 12:32 pm

What do you all think about betterment?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 1:32 pm

Hard to find an honest online review since nearly all sites get kickbacks (money for referrals)
http://www.gocurrycracker.com/why-bette ... r-dollars/

Doesn't really make sense for the typical Aspie investor who needs to micromanage his finances. Go right to Vanguard and cut out the middleman.

HisShadowX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2016, 1:45 pm

BTDT wrote:
Hard to find an honest online review since nearly all sites get kickbacks (money for referrals)
http://www.gocurrycracker.com/why-bette ... r-dollars/

Doesn't really make sense for the typical Aspie investor who needs to micromanage his finances. Go right to Vanguard and cut out the middleman.

Where is vanguard?

Edit:
Quote:
total dollar value of your current investment portfolio. To take advantage of Vanguard Personal Advisor Services, a $50,000 minimum is currently required

I have no where near that kind of money

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran