Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2016, 6:42 am

Hello, does anyone here knows if my computer is well protected?

I use Microsoft security essential, SUPERAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, CCE, and TDSSKiller.

I also use CCleaner, Password Safe, and Driver Booster.

I wanted to ask that question on another forum, but am afraid to look like an idiot, so I post this here.

Thank you.

Lantylam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 7:52 am

There is no such thing as a 100% safe computer, especially if you are running Windows. There are always zero day exploits cropping up with Windows or Adobe Flash. Best to uninstall Adobe Flash as it is quite a security risk and is essentially obsolete technology, replaced by HTML5 by most mainstream websites (e.g. YouTube and Facebook). You didn't say what version of Windows you are using; ensure you keep up to date with updates / patches. The next weakest link in protection is the end user. If you visit the wrong website you can pick up malware, especially if you are using a browser like Internet Explorer which is targetted by malware writers more than any other web browser. Even if you visit mainstream popular sites and you allow adverts to be shown then you are also open to attack by malware which is sometimes disguised as adverts. Better to use a browser that allows add-ons such as Firefox with the Adblock+ extension. Also beware what links you click or what you download. Beware of all links in emails, especially shortened links that could go anywhere e.g. on forums or Facebook etc.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2016, 7:53 am

What browser extensions do you have installed ?
I recommend to use an ad blocker, something to limit trackers like Disconnect or Ghostery, and if you don't trust a page you can setup your browser to block Javascript, Flash or other specific scripts depending on the page. I prefer a lightweight browser (I use Chromium). Same thing with the OS. If you're really concerned with security, you might need to change your OS or at least make a dual boot so you can use all the software you want and switch smoothly. Windows will always be your computer's main vulnerability.

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2016, 8:42 am

Thanks for the answers.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and use Chrome as my browser, with uBlock Origin and WOT (Web Of Trust).

I don't have much money, but I hope one day i'll build my own computer and set a VPN, also anonymous search engines such as Ixquick could help me, I think.

I was just wondering with all these tools, if it was safe to say I would not get in trouble too easily.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2016, 8:51 am

Many safe options are cheap. You don't need specific hardware for that. If somebody makes you pay a fortune for Linux, you just got scammed :mrgreen: And it's a perfect choice for older computers. They can live much longer this way than running on Windows.

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2016, 10:54 am

But since I play lots of games, Windows stays the best option.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 11:05 am

It's safely in Microsoft's hands—in yours, probably not so much.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2016, 11:19 am

VYcma wrote:
But since I play lots of games, Windows stays the best option.

For games. It's only one use. Why have only one partition on your computer ? Your computer will be at its best with a dual / triple boot.

Last edited by MissAlgernon on 23 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lantylam
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

MissAlgernon wrote:
For games. It's only one use. Why have only one partition on your computer ? Your computer will be at its best with a dual / triple boot.

This is a good idea, or even to run Linux from a VM under Windows, which wouldn't cost anything. That way you could use Linux to browse the web and in the unlikely event that Linux picked up any nasty while online, you can simply delete the Linux VM and reinstate another. Your Windows installation wouldn't be harmed in any way.

One possible issue with running dual boot nowadays is that Microsoft sometimes doesn't play nice. The Windows 10 update trashed my Windows 8.1 dual boot laptop and wiped the Linux installation making it Windows only, screwing around with the BIOS and secure boot too. :evil: If the OP is running Windows 7 he *may* be less vulnerable to such nastiness.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 11:58 am

To Microsoft, free operating systems are malware.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2016, 12:24 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
To Microsoft, free operating systems are malware.

Yep, but I have read that Spybot Anti-Beacon is a nifty little utility which shuts down all of the spyware within Windows 10 and some other products. Generally, I know that it is good to avoid all Google and Microsoft products unless you must use them. Stop using social media.

I have also read good things about:

--Avast Free Antivirus in combination with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
--Bleachbit (yes, THAT Bleachbit) in combination with CCleaner
--GPG4win encryption software
--Mozilla Firefox with its best-rated privacy and security add-ons (Adblock Plus, Calomel SSL Validation, Click&Clean, Disconnect, eCleaner, Empty Cache Button, HTTPS-Everywhere (download from https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere), Masking Agent, NoScript, Privacy Badger and Private Tab)
--StartMail.com encrypted e-mail service located in the Netherlands
--StartPage.com Internet search engine located in the Netherlands
--Tor Browser located everywhere
--Tunnelbear VPN located in Canada

I know that it is good to read EFF.com for its advice. Edward Snowden and Steve Wozniak support EFF.

Even after all that, realize that, as Snowden has said, "if they wanted to shut down my box with enough time and resources, they could." So, only do good on the Internet.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

VYcma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Sep 2016, 3:37 pm

I'm taking notes, thanks for the tips.

I believe dual boot is not for me since I use the internet and games both at the same time, and don't have much RAM and free space left.