Why can't I pay attention if I am learning to program?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2016, 8:38 pm

I tried learning languages in the past, but I have some kind of intertia or I get stuck because I get distracted by something else or I just couldn't pay attention to the code and thought process. I also get distracted by questions I have like how many times daily/week should I focus on programming, I get stuck on manuals and tutorials but I don't have a mind of my own to create original projects, etc.

How can I focus on learning? I might have some ideas for *what* I want to code also, but even then, I can only pick just one at the same time.

Saga41
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Nov 2016, 3:17 am

I'm trying to learn to program and I feel I have the same kind of problems as yours.

Distraction (powered by ADD) mainly. Sometimes I don't understand what to do and ask myself to much questions.

Quote:
I don't have a mind of my own to create original projects

I can relate.

Lantylam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2016, 5:45 am

It may be related to ADD. I've been a professional programmer for thirty years (now retired) but went through frequent bouts of mental lethargy and inability to concentrate on coding. At other times I worked feverishly at the keyboard non-stop. It helps if what you are trying to program is interesting. I found it very hard to motivate myself on a dull project. As you are just starting out, it is better to set yourself small goals, tiny projects you can code up, such as trivial games like noughts and crosses (tic-tac-toe) or hangman, or number puzzles etc.