Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 4:08 am

My very first time, was in my dad's office in 1995 (fall), I was 10 years old.
Not a big event, just some boring inter-office stuff.

1998 - My primary school upgraded all their Mac's to iMac's.
This was a big event because since the new mac's were untested, we were all the testers.
As a result, there was no internet filtration yet or rules on what games we can play.
Most of the time we just played escape velocity.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 10:17 am

The earliest that I can remember was Googling Chiasm to find the artist that made the really good song "Isolation" which I discovered through Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, at which point I came across MySpace. I think this was around 2000 or 2004.

Before that I really didn't have much use for the Internet.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

dumbgenius
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 6:09 pm

I remember in January 1996 when I was in 6th grade and the class got an hour of time on the Internet at a local college/university. I remember looking up space shuttle launch dates and reading that one would launch on the next Thursday. Looking it up now I found that there was a launch on Thursday Jan 11, 1996. I think I spent the entire hour at the NASA website. The computer was running Windows95. Over the years in high school I got to use the Internet for research. In Jan, 2000, I got a computer at home. Two weeks later in February I got dial-up Internet at up to 28.8kbps. Later it dropped to 9.6kbps-14.4kbps. I got too many loading page errors. I then switched to satellite Internet on June 16th, 2006. It might have a 1600ms ping, but it's a lot faster at downloading files and loading dozens of pages at a time.