Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 6:17 pm

For the last few years I've been obsessed with Apple! Every day im thinking about how much I hate them and how they've ruined technology by dumbing it down! Every time Tim Cook says it's easy to use he means they designed it for idiots. I actually find OSX harder to use because I have to fight against the user-friendliness to make it do what I want.

The fact that most people like these dumbed down interfaces is enough to make me a misanthrope. I think people are getting used to these simplistic interfaces. Now the iPhone has produced the dog-faced snapchat generation. Computers use to be useful tools but now they're used by teenaged girls to superimpose dog ears over their photograph. With Apple, you are the product.

It's not bad enough that Apple products are designed more as fashion accessories than useful tools, but they seem to be designed as fashion accessories for vapid teenaged girls! (Note that nowadays many people continue to think like teenagers through their 20s, 30s and even their 40s).

The worst part is that other companies copy Apple. I hate when other companies copy their terrible ideas! It's like trying to cheat on the exam by copying from the dumb kid in class. It means there's less consumer choice. My choices are either a terrible design from Apple or another company's near exact copy of a terrible design from Apple.

That's why so many products have touchscreens. Touchscreens are so imprecise. Apple popularised the idea and now every company is using them. E.g the Microsoft Surface is a copy of Apple's worst product, the iPad. And why don't laptops have trackpoints and traditional keyboards anymore? Because they all copied the Macbook which has no trackpoint and a mushy feeling "chicklet keyboard". I'll be sticking with my Lenovo Thinkpad thanks.

Apple also put a touchscreen on their smartwatch. It seems ridiculous putting touch on such a tiny screen! a 1.5 inch touchscreen would be a trial to use. My Pebble watch doesn't use a touchscreen. Pebble went out of business while Apple watches are selling millions. See why I'm a misanthrope?

My girlfriend wants me to buy her a present since she saw me give a CD to my mother (because it was my mother's birthday). The present she wants is an Apple Watch. As much as I like smartwatches, why does it have to be from Apple?

The scariest part is that the Apple watch only works with iPhones so if she had an Apple watch and upgraded her phone, it would have to be another iPhone or she'd lose the use of her watch.

I showed her many other smartwatches I could buy her that work with both iOS and Android. Some of them even work with BB10. She found excuses against all of them. The $200 smartwatch, was too cheap, the $300 smartwatch was too expensive, etc.

She was worried that some of them might be made by Chinese companies. She's Chinese and no one hates Chinese products more than Chinese people!

The Chinese love for Apple is even stronger than westerners because the iPhone and Macbook are status symbols for China's emerging middle class.

They especially like the iPhone X because it's more expensive. Because they grew up dirt poor, they want to show off how rich they are.

I get that China has many cheap and nasty electronic devices and buying Apple can be an easy way for Chinese people to avoid that yet the Chinese girlfriends I've had can't understand that other brands aren't always cheap and nasty. Some of them are as expensive or more expensive than Apple.

Even the Chinese brands are really good nowadays. ke for example HTC, Huawei and Lenovo. I think it's really good that China is rising out of its poverty and making higher quality goods yet the Chinese people need to stop hating stuff made in theiw own country.

So what do you think? Should I just buy her the Apple Watch even though the thought of it makes my skin crawl?

jikijiki53
Raven
Raven

19 Jun 2018, 9:14 am

I wouldn't bother buying an apple watch for your gf. You'll be spending a lot of money already just for buying a new iphone for compatibility sake.

Apple is a cash grab to me. They are finding more ways to suck up our own hard earned money. With the removal of the headphone jack, they expect us to pay more money to them for the headphone adapter or an adapter that has the USB-C port and the headphone jack. Another, no SD card for additional storage space built onto the phone, gotta buy an adapter for that. It makes it a complete mess having wires that should not be needed!! ! :x

A lot of Android products that are made by other companies, even though they are copying apple, are much cheaper and some may have devices that have more luxury quality than apples for a cheaper price. Samsung's Galaxy S series phones are more of a high-range phone like the S9. They are very much near identical specs if not better specs than the iphones. They also have better build quality, has a headphone jack, has better battery life, and a place where you can put your SD card in. All the stuff you need is all built right onto the phone. You could even save a couple hundred dollars if you bought that than the iphone X.

While Apple products may be luxury items for the Chinese, what they are not getting is the fact that they won't last as long either because of these factors. To me, everything about Apple is a complete waste of time and money and there is better stuff that's out there I'd rather buy for a better price and not have to call them and pay to the extreme for fixing their own devices. Apple is not worth my time.

One last thing, have you heard about Apple's shady business practice by not telling anyone about their recent iOS update that slowed the older iphones down because of the battery? I find more and more excuses of not buying Apple products than buying Android products. :evil:

I could go on and on but those are the main points.

If I were you I'd just stay the f*** away from Apple altogether. Your wallet will thank you.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 1:48 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
For the last few years I've been obsessed with Apple! Every day im thinking about how much I hate them and how they've ruined technology by dumbing it down!

I agree with you 100%

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 10:03 pm

People are only obsessed with Apple because people like simplicity. I agree, the design is stupidly simple, but this can be good for some people, especially people without an interest in technology. Maybe you have somebody who doesn’t want to read through pages of manuals or learn how certain software works to be able to call their family or access the weather.

I recently volunteered with some other people my age at a nursing home to help older people with knowing how to work their technology. You wouldn’t believe how confused some of these people were. We ran into people who didn’t even know how to take a picture using their phone, download any applications, change the brightness level, or even set a reminder for their medication or appointment time. The point is, there are people besides teenage girls (for the record, I don’t have Snapchat :wink: ) who want something simple because they didn’t grow up with computers, much less mobile smartphones.

I think your issue is less with Apple as a company and more what stupid people do with its products :lol: !

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 10:06 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
We ran into people who didn’t even know how to take a picture using their phone......

I wouldn't know how to take a picture using a phone.

Seriously.

:lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2018, 10:25 pm

DeepHour wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
We ran into people who didn’t even know how to take a picture using their phone......

I wouldn't know how to take a picture using a phone.

Seriously.

:lol:

How about a dog-faced Snapchat picture :lol: ?

What was really interesting to see was how annoyed the older people got if something didn’t load right away. They say my generation has a short attention span....... :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

I've never been very good with computers. I'm glad Apple has "dumbed things down."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 8:45 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
People are only obsessed with Apple because people like simplicity. I agree, the design is stupidly simple, but this can be good for some people, especially people without an interest in technology. Maybe you have somebody who doesn’t want to read through pages of manuals or learn how certain software works to be able to call their family or access the weather.

I recently volunteered with some other people my age at a nursing home to help older people with knowing how to work their technology. You wouldn’t believe how confused some of these people were. We ran into people who didn’t even know how to take a picture using their phone, download any applications, change the brightness level, or even set a reminder for their medication or appointment time. The point is, there are people besides teenage girls (for the record, I don’t have Snapchat :wink: ) who want something simple because they didn’t grow up with computers, much less mobile smartphones.

I think your issue is less with Apple as a company and more what stupid people do with its products :lol: !

Please accept my apologies for stereotyping teenaged girls.

I'll admit that simplicity might by good for some people but for others it might not make much difference. For example, my aging mother would be equally unable to send an email using an iPhone, an Android, a Mac or a PC. All of them are equally unknown to her.

I'm going to get her a Polaroid camera because, while she could take a photo with a digital camera she wouldn't know how to copy the photos onto another device. With a Polaroid she'll be able to produce her own hard copies :)

I don't think the majority of Apple customers are elderly. I think some of them are slaves to fashion. They tell me I'm poor because I didn't buy a thousand dollar phone but really they made themselves a thousand dollars poorer by buying it :lol:

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 6:16 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

Please accept my apologies for stereotyping teenaged girls.

I'll admit that simplicity might by good for some people but for others it might not make much difference. For example, my aging mother would be equally unable to send an email using an iPhone, an Android, a Mac or a PC. All of them are equally unknown to her.

I'm going to get her a Polaroid camera because, while she could take a photo with a digital camera she wouldn't know how to copy the photos onto another device. With a Polaroid she'll be able to produce her own hard copies :)

I don't think the majority of Apple customers are elderly. I think some of them are slaves to fashion. They tell me I'm poor because I didn't buy a thousand dollar phone but really they made themselves a thousand dollars poorer by buying it :lol:

Don’t worry about it :D . The stereotype is true for quite a few people, but I’m autistic, so yeah... 8)

I definitely agree with the fact that people buy it for the name brand or design. Unfortunately, the more sleek, modern design is quite appealing to many people, which is another reason why Apple does so well. I also don’t think the majority of Apple customers are elderly, and most are younger people (such as myself :lol: !) who fall victim to simple, modern design.

If you haven’t already bought the Apple Watch I wouldn’t recommend doing so. It really is a cash grab, and you’d probably be better off with another slightly off-brand product. It will save you a lot of money.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 6:52 pm

...Briefly, the Apple store in San Francisco's In IP on Square was sh***y to me and so I hate Apple and will NEVER buy them :x - I guess :evil:.
No matter how " cool " Apple is and how much the " Now Generation " worships Steve Jobs' ashes :twisted: .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 5:40 am

ASS-P wrote:
...Briefly, the Apple store in San Francisco's In IP on Square was sh***y to me and so I hate Apple and will NEVER buy them :x - I guess :evil:.
No matter how " cool " Apple is and how much the " Now Generation " worships Steve Jobs' ashes :twisted: .

What did the sh***y Apple store do to you?

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 5:49 am

...Briefly, the Union Square Apple store was sh***y to me regarding my use of the free for everyone to use computers on the first floor...Even though, let me emphasize this, I followed the " rules " on how long I should use them, I didn't come in every day...They still threw me out anyway. f**k 'em :( :cry: :x .

RetroGamer87"]

ASS-P wrote:

What did the sh***y Apple store do to you?[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!