What If We Burned All The World's Fossil Fuels?

Page 2 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:14 am

auntblabby wrote:
a warmer earth is also a more violent earth. one picks one's poison, I suppose.

Why would it be more violent if warmer? I suspect that the violence will escalate greatly once the Earth cools down for the next glaciation as people fight over the inevitable rapidly dwindling resources.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:22 am

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Why would it be more violent if warmer? I suspect that the violence will escalate greatly once the Earth cools down for the next glaciation as people fight over the inevitable rapidly dwindling resources.

people smarter than me [scientists] say with the higher global temperatures come more virulent diseases and nastier insects and more poisonous plants and more violent storms.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

people smarter than me [scientists] say with the higher global temperatures come more virulent diseases and nastier insects and more poisonous plants and more violent storms.
Some of that might be true in a way. Some of the nastier insects from the equatorial regions will be able to move further from the equator and take their diseases with them. And the plants would be able to more further north, too.

I don't see why the insects and diseases would be worse -- they would just be spread out more.

I've seen plenty of people complain that the hurricanes will get worse. There is some research that suggests that we may have fewer hurricanes and those that form won't be as bad because increased wind sheer will be more limiting than now.

In reality, if you want to see how the weather will be in a warmer Earth, just look at what it's like a few hundred miles to the south. Also, look at the plants that you will be able to grow that you can't grow now.

It will likely be somewhat wetter, however, since warmer air can carry more moisture. That's hardly a bad thing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:36 am

people in areas that get too hot will have to migrate to coolers areas that may not accept them. water levels rising will do likewise. I for one don't wanna live in a hotter world, as our summer here has kept me indoors too many days as it is.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:37 am

Then maybe we could destroy the planet in a day.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
people in areas that get too hot will have to migrate to coolers areas that may not accept them. water levels rising will do likewise. I for one don't wanna live in a hotter world, as our summer here has kept me indoors too many days as it is.

The projections I've seen are that the warming would not be even over the whole earth. The warming at the equator would likely be minimal but would be increasingly more the further north or south of the equator you are.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:52 am

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Some of that might be true in a way. Some of the nastier insects from the equatorial regions will be able to move further from the equator and take their diseases with them. And the plants would be able to more further north, too.

I don't see why the insects and diseases would be worse -- they would just be spread out more.

I've seen plenty of people complain that the hurricanes will get worse. There is some research that suggests that we may have fewer hurricanes and those that form won't be as bad because increased wind sheer will be more limiting than now.

In reality, if you want to see how the weather will be in a warmer Earth, just look at what it's like a few hundred miles to the south. Also, look at the plants that you will be able to grow that you can't grow now.

It will likely be somewhat wetter, however, since warmer air can carry more moisture. That's hardly a bad thing.

Well nice optimism but global warming is actually a serious issue, and your cute little community garden wont survive the climate change most likely. People have died of asthma as we speak from pollution. Apparently in Texas near some of their oil refinaries its pretty common for people to die of asthma related causes. Coal pollution causes it and yet I hear still our electricity is 80% produced by fossil fuels. And we have all the technology to look to other sources...its a bunch of BS really.

Oh you can grow so many more crops with global warming, well who are you going to have to buy these crops if global warming and crazy global changes are not so easy to adapt to. You don't get it global warming KILLS us regardless of what it does to your crops.You cannot survive if global warming gets much worse is there any other way to tell people...you will die if this is not adressed.

Like does litterally no one get it...''oh it will be so great for my CROPS' NO IT WONT, what are you going to do with your freaking crops with no one to buy them? OHHH but my aparment building has a community center there is no problem because my luxary apartment is equipped. ' Ohhh how dare those homeless people try to take shelter under bus stops from elements like rain...well I declare we remove the tree garden and put a gravel pit so if any homeless people even think of taking a rest at the bus stop its totally uncovered and exposed to hot sun rays with no shelter whatsoever while you wait for the bus. Oh yeah such a great design...but no it was a design specifically meant to push homeless people out, so long as you cant see them as clearly I guess is better. There used to be shade trees and such close enough to the bus stop you could wait in the shade at least. Now all those are gone to its just a gravel pit where if you are homeless you would not want to stick around because its just gravel and dust. There used to be some trees and at least a kind of nice area around there, but they made it a very obvious anti-homeless zone, which turns out makes it much uglier than it was before.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 10 Aug 2018, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 2:56 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well nice optimism but global warming is actually a serious issue, and your cute little community garden wont survive the climate change most likely. People have died of asthma as we speak from pollution. Apparently in Texas near some of their oil refinaries its pretty common for people to die of asthma related causes. Coal pollution causes it and yet I hear still our electricity is 80% produced by fossil fuels. And we have all the technology to look to other sources...its a bunch of BS really.

Oh you can grow so many more crops with global warming, well who are you going to have to buy these crops if global warming and crazy global changes are not so easy to adapt to. You don't get it global warming KILLS us regardless of what it does to your crops.You cannot survive if global warming gets much worse is there any other way to tell people...you will die if this is not adressed.

Does this mean that everyone in the equatorial regions is now dead since it is considerably warmer there than here?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:03 am

another thing, the warmer it gets up north, the more northerly will be the infestation of Africanized ["killer"] bees. I DON'T want those bastards anywhere near me! 8O

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:04 am

kokopelli wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Does this mean that everyone in the equatorial regions is now dead since it is considerably warmer there than here?

No it means if people don't address it immediately we are probably screwed but no one cares about that so is whatever I suppose. OH who cares about global warming, I still have my INTERNETZ so clearlly everything is great.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 10 Aug 2018, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
another thing, the warmer it gets up north, the more northerly will be the infestation of Africanized ["killer"] bees. I DON'T want those bastards anywhere near me! 8O

How do you feel about fire ants?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:08 am

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

they can go suck eggs as well. :x

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

When I lived in the Houston area, there were plenty of fire ants around. They never really bothered me much. On at least one occasion, I got a great number of bites on my ankle while mowing my yard. I just shook them off and kept mowing.

The more common larger ants tend to be much more of a problem for me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2018, 3:16 am

kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

When I lived in the Houston area, there were plenty of fire ants around. They never really bothered me much. On at least one occasion, I got a great number of bites on my ankle while mowing my yard. I just shook them off and kept mowing. The more common larger ants tend to be much more of a problem for me.

wow :o you sound like you have what used to be called "true grit." :wtg: I've noticed the bees and skeeters are ganging up worse here as our hot seasons have gotten longer and hotter. I don't like that trend one bit.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 3:58 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
No it means if people don't address it immediately we are probably screwed but no one cares about that so is whatever I suppose. OH who cares about global warming, I still have my INTERNETZ so clearlly everything is great.

As this very discussion attests, “Unless a big part of humanity, particularly in the US, agrees to coöperate by making some sacrifices for the rest of their lives and keeps their promise, we’re screwed” can be readily simplified to “We’re screwed”.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 1:53 pm

auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

When I lived in the Houston area, there were plenty of fire ants around. They never really bothered me much. On at least one occasion, I got a great number of bites on my ankle while mowing my yard. I just shook them off and kept mowing. The more common larger ants tend to be much more of a problem for me.

wow :o you sound like you have what used to be called "true grit." :wtg: I've noticed the bees and skeeters are ganging up worse here as our hot seasons have gotten longer and hotter. I don't like that trend one bit.

Not that much. Once I got a bunch of ants in my pants crawling up my legs. At one point, there were enough biting that I pulled my pants off then and there and then headed for privacy.