Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,266
Location: Boulder CO

16 Jul 2018, 7:49 pm

RIP Intel Wireless Display


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,339
Location: Adelaide, Australia

10 Aug 2018, 12:34 am

Quote:
21st Century Consumer Electronics Are Rubbish
Yes, yes, yes! I agree 100%! 21st century consumer electronics are awful!


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,667
Location: the island of defective toy santas

10 Aug 2018, 12:36 am

except for the ones that are good, which are many. or at least good enough, which are many more.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,339
Location: Adelaide, Australia

10 Aug 2018, 12:36 am


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,339
Location: Adelaide, Australia

10 Aug 2018, 12:42 am

The worst thing about electronics from this stupid century are that everything is controlled with touchscreens. I hate touchscreens!


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,667
Location: the island of defective toy santas

10 Aug 2018, 1:09 am

yeh, I miss the tactile reassurance of actual buttons and switches and knobs and sliders.



cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,266
Location: Boulder CO

10 Aug 2018, 1:14 am

I have a touchscreen here on my desk and I have to rebuild the whole machine again just to stop the 'phantom clicking' problem that plagues the right half of the screen. It almost just deleted my whole post.


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,667
Location: the island of defective toy santas

10 Aug 2018, 1:23 am

all too often, my fingers seem too sausage-like to properly register on a touchscreen.



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,915
Location: Indiana

10 Aug 2018, 7:57 am

I found the modern computer keyboards to be unworkable because they often produced double strikes or no strikes. So I bought a special keyboard called a Das Keyboard Model S Professional for my Mac computer because it gives an audible click every time a key is depressed, similar to a typewriter. This keyboard provides outstanding tactile and audible feedback.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,339
Location: Adelaide, Australia

10 Aug 2018, 8:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
yeh, I miss the tactile reassurance of actual buttons and switches and knobs and sliders.

I know right? I mean which looks more satisfying to use? Those buttons, knobs and sliders or that touchscreen?


Image


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


Last edited by RetroGamer87 on 10 Aug 2018, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,044

10 Aug 2018, 8:11 am

If you are willing pay what electronics used to cost a few decades ago, you can usually find very high quality modern versions of all sorts of stuff. For instance, I built a digital clock back in 1975. In today's dollars, it easily cost $50 to $100 in parts.



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,339
Location: Adelaide, Australia

10 Aug 2018, 8:24 am

BTDT wrote:
If you are willing pay what electronics used to cost a few decades ago, you can usually find very high quality modern versions of all sorts of stuff. For instance, I built a digital clock back in 1975. In today's dollars, it easily cost $50 to $100 in parts.

That's about how much my digital clock clost 6 or 7 years ago. Ask me again in 40 years if it still works. My Atari is about 40 years old and it still works.


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,667
Location: the island of defective toy santas

10 Aug 2018, 8:18 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
yeh, I miss the tactile reassurance of actual buttons and switches and knobs and sliders.

I know right? I mean which looks more satisfying to use? Those buttons, knobs and sliders or that touchscreen?


Image

ooooohhhh, all those kool knobs to twiddle, slick sliders to slide, jazzy joysticks to swivel, boppin' buttons to push and super switches to fluup. :mrgreen:



RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,339
Location: Adelaide, Australia

11 Aug 2018, 2:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
ooooohhhh, all those kool knobs to twiddle, slick sliders to slide, jazzy joysticks to swivel, boppin' buttons to push and super switches to fluup. :mrgreen:

Yes but Apple wants to replace all of your buttons, sliders and knobs with a 10 inch touchscreen. Screw you Apple! :ninja:


_________________
The days are long, but the years are short


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,667
Location: the island of defective toy santas

11 Aug 2018, 2:20 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ooooohhhh, all those kool knobs to twiddle, slick sliders to slide, jazzy joysticks to swivel, boppin' buttons to push and super switches to fluup. :mrgreen:

Yes but Apple wants to replace all of your buttons, sliders and knobs with a 10 inch touchscreen. Screw you Apple! :ninja:

I've been boycotting apple since 1992. hmph. :|