What part of the solar system should we colonize?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2018, 6:21 pm

I'd want to colonize Titan ... though this could come with some issues. For example, Saturn would likely block out the sun at times. It would be one Hell of on eclipse ... again and again.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 3:57 am

Why not to terraform parts of our moon? It is much closer to us.

The Biosphere 2 mission was a failure though.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 17 Apr 2018, 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 4:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Why not to terraform parts of our moon? It is much closer to us.

Yeah but the moon might have moon aliens on it and we might need to blast them with lasers.

https://armorgames.com/play/14825/nuclear-plant-2
^^^
This game is awesome by the way. Play it.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2018, 5:07 am

Maybe Titan or Europa.

There is also a near Earth asteroid object almost like a 2nd small satellite. I wonder if this could be an alternative to the Moon or something that could be built on to make a large space station.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 2:34 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I'd want to colonize Titan ... though this could come with some issues. For example, Saturn would likely block out the sun at times. It would be one Hell of on eclipse ... again and again.

That illustration shows liquid methane. Do you think humans could possibly live in a place that cold?

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 4:40 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
That illustration shows liquid methane. Do you think humans could possibly live in a place that cold?

All we need to do is warm Titan by producing CO2 emissions.

This won't destroy the environment on Titan because Titan doesn't really have an environment to destroy.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2018, 5:37 am

Personally I don't think other planets are made for advanced life forms. If they were then there would already be life forms there. I don't think I believe in aliens. I believe other planets may have simple life forms like bacteria and fungus but I doubt anything else would be able to survive.

ChurchGoingGirl
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 May 2018, 9:05 am

I think we should try to colonize the Moon first like The_Face_of_Boo said. It is closer, and if people run out of food or supplies, then shuttles from the earth could deliver them before they starved to death or dehydrated. Plus, they could attract geologists there to study rock forms and stuff. They could begin to learn about planets other than the earth with realistic and concrete information. It would be a neat tourist destination. They could have a hotel there for people transitioning from earth to Mars to stay at or for tourists to just go to. It would lower the costs of space shuttles and gas since the more people interested means the more information and intelligence gathered. The more likely it would be to find an alternative fuel method and alternative materials to build shuttles with. Since Space shuttles are made with refractory clay materials, maybe geologists studying the moon could find out the properties of space rocks...maybe one would be more durable and long lasting and lighter in weight too. It would also be interesting for physicists studying the effects of less gravity, and health folk for studying the long term effects of space environments on health, etc. Before going to Mars, it could also be important to see whether they could grow plants in the soil of the Moon and to see how they could efficiently water it. It would be a great place to have a Moon Academy and Hotel. Maybe they could try playing moon basketball with less gravity or some other sports for fun?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 4:36 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Maybe Titan or Europa.

There is also a near Earth asteroid object almost like a 2nd small satellite. I wonder if this could be an alternative to the Moon or something that could be built on to make a large space station.

You couldn't build "on" an asteroid like you can on the surface of the earth, or even the Moon, because of the lack of gravity to hold any structure there. But you could, in theory, hollow out an asteroid and build a city inside the asteroid.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 4:41 pm

The most promising path to space colonization seems like, not building upon the surface of planets, but building space colonies that orbit planets at the stable LaGrange points in the near space around the planets. We would start with those points in the Earth-moon system, and then maybe progress to mars.

The book "the Hight Frontier" lays it all out. Cylinder shaped cities built in pairs that counter rotate (so that the whole thing stays stable, but so each cylinder would have artificial gravity on the inside surfaces of the cylinder due to centrifical force).

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2018, 7:32 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Maybe Titan or Europa.

Europa is likely not a good idea because it's in the Jupiter radiation belt; colonists living there could be fine under a heavy shielding of ice, but you must first get there.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 3:42 pm

Let's refocus, and reclaim what's important here on Earth first - so we're able to learn to avoid those bad-habits, regardless of where we chose to colonize!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2018, 2:27 pm

Before we start trying to bring intelligent life to other plants, moons, asteroids, space stations, ..., maybe we should start by trying to bring intelligent life to Earth.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2018, 8:01 pm

It would be much easier to stop destroying Earth than to terraform some useless rock in our solar system. If they need to mine these other planets, let robots take that job.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 7:11 pm

I'd like to build Cloud City floating above Venus.

Or maybe would collinise the space between worlds and live in artificial structures as naturalplastic suggested.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2018, 4:12 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'd like to build Cloud City floating above Venus.

Cool. It would be like Elysia from Metroid Prime 3, which is one of my all-time favorite video games.

Hopefully the steampunk robots won't turn on us.

More importantly, we shouldn't place any mean robots on the ziplines. I hate having to constantly shoot when I'm going between sky buildings.