Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2018, 6:00 pm

Ok so we've got most of the setup sorted but I'm still not sure about what combination of hard drives to get

Some suggestions are

• 500GB SSD for the OS and some games and 4TB HDD for movies
  • 250GB SSD for the OS and 4TB for movies and fast 2TB HDD for games
  • 250GB SSD for the OS and 2x 4TB software raid for games and movies

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 6:25 am

Here's a how to build a PC build video that might help

you to know how not to build a PC. (It's funny but don't do anything he says).

Last edited by Enigmatic_Oddity on 17 Sep 2018, 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 6:32 am

How not to build a PC?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2018, 6:42 am

Yes. It's funny because he recommends putting it together with a swiss army knife whilst wearing magical rubber bands around your wrists, avoiding electrical damage by putting rubber between components before screwing them together with metal screws, emptying the entire contents of a thermal paste tube onto the CPU, installing intake fans against solid metal and numerous other mistakes that make it seem like a parody, except it's from a major tech site.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 7:54 am

If you want an actual useful build guide, I am partial to GamersNexus which has a video I'm sure will suffice. It looks like the Verge took down their embarrassment of a guide.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 5:54 pm

I'm slightly ashamed to admit this but I got a friend to build it for me. His cable management skills are greater than mine.

We got the cheapest Geforce 1080. An Asus one. It has the worst heatsink. Now I'm wondering if it would be worth adding closed loop water cooling to the GPU.

The case has thrree spaced in front. Two spaces are already taken up by the double fan radiator for the CPU but that still leaves one space for a single fan radiator in front (or we could put it in the back).

This is assuming the GPU makes roughly half as much heat as the CPU.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2018, 7:57 pm

No. It is not worth adding water cooling to a 1080. If you wanted more performance you should've got a better card. 1080s are able to hit a maximum boost clock at 2100Mhz on air cooling and this has been very consistent across the range. Water cooling adds no further performance increase. Consider improving your case ventilation or using a program like MSI Afterburner to plot a more aggressive fan curve.