Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 10:00 pm

Can anyone help me? I’m looking for a router for streaming & playing games. I want to cancel cable with internet, I want a new internet company.

gabemai314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

Location: Loveland, Colorado, USA, Earth, Solar System, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea Supercluster, Universe

30 Mar 2018, 9:18 am

I recommend buying the Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart Wi-Fi Router! The router has a quad core processor. It has six Ethernet ports and one SFP+ port. There are three Wi-Fi bands: one 802.11n, one 802.11ac, and one 802.11ad. It can even run Plex media server if you so desire! All of this for only $400!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Mar 2018, 10:26 am

Netgear is a good brand & the one I have is NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router with Dual Band Gigabit for Amazon Echo/Alexa - AC1750 (R6400-100NAS). I got it in 2015 but it's still pretty good for basic typical internet stuff which it sounds like that's what you need it for. It cost about $100 on Amazon rite now. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
I'm thinking about giving(or selling) this one to my parents & getting another during the next Black Friday sale(which is when I got this one). I don't really need a new one cuz I haven't noticed any problems but my parents router is pretty old & I wouldn't mind a slightly faster one cuz I do heavy file-sharing while my girlfriend is on her xBox one. It would probably help if I increase my internet speed too which I may do if I get some more money coming in. Somebody can probably recommend a newer router that won't cost too much more. I'll do my research when I'm ready to get one.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2018, 8:31 am

I found gaming is quite low bandwidth, because you aren't streaming HD video, just a small data stream.

But, if you need a better router, look for the keywords"5GHz" or "dual band", and Gigabit, and pick something with more than 1 aerial.

The most important thing for gaming is your ping - how long it takes a message to come back. I am super pleased with my <6ms ping, though I think anything up to mid double digits is acceptable. The next thing is upload speed; you'll be wanting megabits, not kilobits. Download speed is almost irrelevant. These are all things to do with your provider though, not your router.

For video, I think HD is around 40Mbps for super smooth and crisp video, that's bits, not bytes. Be careful when checking speed not to confuse the two - a byte is 8 bits, so HD is 5MB per second. You never use your whole bandwidth though, so you will need more, but not anything like 200Mbps unless you have multiple devices going at the same time.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 2:30 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Can anyone help me? I’m looking for a router for streaming & playing games. I want to cancel cable with internet, I want a new internet company.

Before you consider a router, you need to consider who you will be getting service from. You say you want to cancel cable with internet. Typically the only alternatives are through a conventional phone company or a satellite company such as DISH. If you are lucky, the conventional phone company will offer fiber optic internet, but if they don't, then chances are they will only offer DSL which can't match the speeds of cable or fiber optic.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:29 pm

MisterSpock wrote:
I found gaming is quite low bandwidth, because you aren't streaming HD video, just a small data stream.

But, if you need a better router, look for the keywords"5GHz" or "dual band", and Gigabit, and pick something with more than 1 aerial.

The most important thing for gaming is your ping - how long it takes a message to come back. I am super pleased with my <6ms ping, though I think anything up to mid double digits is acceptable. The next thing is upload speed; you'll be wanting megabits, not kilobits. Download speed is almost irrelevant. These are all things to do with your provider though, not your router.

For video, I think HD is around 40Mbps for super smooth and crisp video, that's bits, not bytes. Be careful when checking speed not to confuse the two - a byte is 8 bits, so HD is 5MB per second. You never use your whole bandwidth though, so you will need more, but not anything like 200Mbps unless you have multiple devices going at the same time.

I do have my iPad & iPhone on at the same time, I’m on a reward site & I play videos for points. Is 500 Mbps better? There this internet site that say blazing fast high speed internet, people in my town love this internet, I have Spectrum cable/internet. Thanks!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:39 pm

gabemai314 wrote:
I recommend buying the Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart Wi-Fi Router! The router has a quad core processor. It has six Ethernet ports and one SFP+ port. There are three Wi-Fi bands: one 802.11n, one 802.11ac, and one 802.11ad. It can even run Plex media server if you so desire! All of this for only $400!

I read about Netgear Nighthawk. I have Plex on my Roku media player, it can do alot, music, photos, videos & tv. I have other apps that have like cable free tv & dvr, I have YouTube TV too. I haven’t subscribed to anything yet, I want to compare stuff. Thanks for helping!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:47 pm

Chronos wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

Before you consider a router, you need to consider who you will be getting service from. You say you want to cancel cable with internet. Typically the only alternatives are through a conventional phone company or a satellite company such as DISH. If you are lucky, the conventional phone company will offer fiber optic internet, but if they don't, then chances are they will only offer DSL which can't match the speeds of cable or fiber optic.

There an internet site that I want, there are blazing fast, they are located in my town near where I live.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:50 pm

Should I cancel cable after I get my new internet or cancel before?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Sep 2018, 8:05 pm

gabemai314 wrote:
Would you still recomend this :?:
I'm wondering if there's something better out now cuz I'm really thinking about getting a new one & giving/selling my current one to my parents. Black Friday seems like a good time to buy & that's about two months away. Me & my girlfriend watch alot of vids on her xBox(she has a couple vid apps on there) & we also sometimes may both use tablets/phones using wifi while my comp is DLing vids. My comp is hooked to the router with a network cable. I'd like something that would be great for this as well as keeping up with the future. I don't want to have to upgrade the router for a long time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2018, 10:12 pm

nick007 wrote:
gabemai314 wrote:
Would you still recomend this :?:
I'm wondering if there's something better out now cuz I'm really thinking about getting a new one & giving/selling my current one to my parents. Black Friday seems like a good time to buy & that's about two months away. Me & my girlfriend watch alot of vids on her xBox(she has a couple vid apps on there) & we also sometimes may both use tablets/phones using wifi while my comp is DLing vids. My comp is hooked to the router with a network cable. I'd like something that would be great for this as well as keeping up with the future. I don't want to have to upgrade the router for a long time.

This is an amazing router for half the price. I have one and it has been really reliable, extremely fast and has no problem handling 8 devices and streaming 4k and gaming without any lag or latency.

https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-RT-AC68U-Wir ... B00FB45SI4