Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 8:14 pm

If people have public wifi protection on their iPads or laptops, do they really work?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 8:17 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:
If people have public wifi protection on their iPads or laptops, do they really work?
I don't know, since I have my own WiFi at home, and no WiFi at work.

If I do use a public WiFi system, I won't log in to any of my accounts, but only visit news sites and read webcomics.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Deemar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2018, 1:57 pm

What is Wi-Fi protection and what are you expecting to achieve with it?

brightonpete
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2018, 1:25 pm

Probably means, "Do you use a VPN?"

I don't use public wifi. I get enough data on my phone that I don't need to use public hotspots. But if I did, I would certainly use a VPN. Besides, I have home internet as well.

clthomps
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Oct 2018, 9:32 am

No they do not work. First always assume that anything you do on public wifi is logged at the access point. Second don't assume that because the access point says "Starbucks" that it is actually owned and operated by a legitimate business. Always use a VPN when accessing sites with logins. Don't use the same password over and over again.

If you are going to use public wifi boot your computer from a liveCD version of your preferred OS. Look into Qubes ( https://www.qubes-os.org/ ) it was designed for privacy. Barring that run a VM with a USB wifi adapter (do not use your onboard wifi with a VM). After you are done reboot the machine or restore to snapshot the VM.

Cheers! and safe browsing!