Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

hifiveghost
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2018, 1:21 pm

What is your favorite element from the periodic table? What's your favorite group of elements?

I like Krypton, Boron, Bismuth, Xenon, and Neodymium. I also like Gallium because it can melt in a human hand (great for pranks!).

My favorite group of elements is the Noble/Inert Gases.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 1:28 pm

praseodymium

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 3:05 pm

Upsydaisium

That was the rare element needed by NASA in the Sixties because of its anti gravity properties.

And it was thing that the Soviet spy team of Boris and Natashia were after. Somehow Rocky and Bullwinkle got saddled with a sample of upsydaisium, and that's why they became the target of international espionage.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 3:50 pm

^ I presume from the same group as every engineer's favourite: Unobtainium!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2018, 8:11 pm

Probably.

So many elements to choose from.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 4:10 pm

Hydrogen, because it's the only atom for which the Schrödinger equation can be solved explicitly.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2018, 4:11 pm

And the Schrödinger equation is, of course, my favourite equation.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2018, 11:23 pm

I have an ambition to publish a scientific paper using every element of the periodic table, the rule is that if you publish something new using an element then you can claim it.

For example if you use a copper wire to make an electrical connection then this does not count, but if you were to use a copper target in a cyclotron and make some new observation with it then you can claim copper. The rule of the game is that once you have published something new with an element you can add it to your list.

I would rather not name my favourite element as it might put a trail of bread to my door.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2018, 7:02 pm

Copper, silver, and gold. Who doesn't want them in their pockets?

They say that elements on the periodic table that line up in columns have a chemical kinship. Kinda like notes on the music scale. Each element is like the same note octave above as you down the column (my own analogy, for whatever its worth). The three "coinage metals" are an example of that. Copper, then comes silver, then comes gold.

In chemical properties silver is a super version of copper, and gold is like a super version of silver.

The table is empty at the slot an octave above gold, but they could in theory create a new element that would be in that position in the periodic table that would be a kinda "super gold".

So the three coinage metals are kinda cool that way (on top of them already having a lot of glamour).