Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 11:14 am

Are there any good programming keyboards out there?
My typing position is WASD with my left hand and I type with more then 3 fingers from this position.
I want a good keyboard for programming with.
Any one know a good cheap one for under 50 pounds?

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 3:31 pm

I think it really depends on what you are looking for in a keyboard. I know lots of newer keyboards having many fancy features/buttons that you can kind of program as macros but I don't know if those would really help you with programming?... maybe? It is probably worth it to just go to the store and type on all the keyboards there and see which is most comfortable for you.. because that is the most important feature.

I find keyboards that are more 'clickly' are better for programming, lots of people swear by old IBM Model M keyboards (used to have one)... of course you could probably find one of those for very cheap on ebay or something. The only think I would suggest is to stay away from apple keyboards, I had one a few years back and it was very 'mushy' and was a pain for to type on... the newer ones might be better.

Madbones
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 4:11 am

FearOfMusic wrote:
I think it really depends on what you are looking for in a keyboard. I know lots of newer keyboards having many fancy features/buttons that you can kind of program as macros but I don't know if those would really help you with programming?... maybe? It is probably worth it to just go to the store and type on all the keyboards there and see which is most comfortable for you.. because that is the most important feature.

I find keyboards that are more 'clickly' are better for programming, lots of people swear by old IBM Model M keyboards (used to have one)... of course you could probably find one of those for very cheap on ebay or something. The only think I would suggest is to stay away from apple keyboards, I had one a few years back and it was very 'mushy' and was a pain for to type on... the newer ones might be better.

Yeah.
The Apple Keyboards of today are actually pretty good, the only reason im not getting one is because I want one of the IBM ones anyway. Just waiting for the right model to popup.
Thanks for your suggestion.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 5:29 pm

...the Kinesis Advantage keyboards are excellent ergonomically, and they have programmable foot-pedals (which are also really-expensive) and other buttons. I haven't used it for programming, but I know that there are devs who really like them. I certainly do. If you can find an old one on eBay, go for it. Not going to meet the <$50 mark new, though.

alex07
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2019, 8:39 am

Hi,
Yes, there are many programming keyboards out in the market but finding the right one for you can be a hard task and tiring. Once I was in the same situation scratching my head; choosing the right keyboard for my writing my codes ( I am also a programmer). I searched and searched but couldn't find one but in this process, I got my hands on a very useful website named KeyboardBattle which does an online comparison for various types and brands of keyboards and also helps in choosing dust and waterproof cover and all sorts of keyboard related stuff. I strongly suggest to check them out and you won't regret choosing from there. I got a Razer Blackwidow chroma which was totally worth to spend money on ! ! :heart: