Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Three_of_us
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Apr 2015, 12:27 pm

Just curious if there are any others that prefer mechanical keyboards. I type a lot for work so I am picky about keyboards and have tried pretty much every style I can find on the market.

My preferences in order:

Cheap rubber domes like what comes free with a desktop - Blah. OK at first if that, but not for long term use

Scissor switch boards - laptops, Apple keyboards - OK in a pinch. Short throw of the keys throws me off for speed and I get finger/joint pain if I use too long.

Alps switches - used a Matias Quiet Pro for quite a while but the key wobble and "crunchy" feeling got to me.

Buckling spring - good old IBM Model M or Unicomp, I really like using these but they are LOUD!!

Cherry switches - Tried every popular one made - prefer Ergo Clears by far followed by Browns, Clears, Reds, Blacks, Blues, Greens. Never tried white but they arent very popular.

Topre - current daily driver. Using a Realforce 87U Silent right now. Funny that is basically a rubber dome inside but feels so much better than any cheap rubber dome and lasts infinitely longer. Dont need to bottom out the board but that is hard to do on any Topre let along a light variable but I can bottom out much softer on Topre vs. a standard RD. Also have used a 55g and 45g uniform. Like all three but the variable silent is my current favorite. I also have a HHKB Pro but the key layout messes with me too much to use daily. Love the feel of it though so it sticks around.

So my two daily use boards are a Topre RF 87u/s and a vintage Cherry Corp modded to Ergo Clears. Like both pretty much equally but the Topre is much quieter so I tend to use it more since I work from home.

RTFM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Apr 2015, 10:29 am

I have a IBM M, good keyboard but noisy, plus due to the key height I found it difficult swapping to another keyboard after typing a lot on it.

My favorite keyboard was the SGI granite, shame I spilt a can of beer on it !

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2015, 3:29 pm

I use them.

I have an old IBM Model M which is faulty (I partially repaired it. Needs more work). Currently I'm using a brand new Unicomp Model M which I bought last year.

Alps switches are fine. Don't mind them at all, but I think I prefer Cherry Blues. I have a Cherry G80-3000 which uses Blue switches which have a nice feel (clicky). The whole thing is a bit flimsy though, but that's not much of an issue. I'd like to try Cherry Browns at some point.

Rubber dome keyboards do vary a lot, and some are pretty good, but I'd go for switches/springs any day :).

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 5:46 pm

Three_of_us wrote:
Just curious if there are any others that prefer mechanical keyboards. I type a lot for work so I am picky about keyboards and have tried pretty much every style I can find on the market.

My preferences in order:

Cheap rubber domes like what comes free with a desktop - Blah. OK at first if that, but not for long term use

Scissor switch boards - laptops, Apple keyboards - OK in a pinch. Short throw of the keys throws me off for speed and I get finger/joint pain if I use too long.

Alps switches - used a Matias Quiet Pro for quite a while but the key wobble and "crunchy" feeling got to me.

Buckling spring - good old IBM Model M or Unicomp, I really like using these but they are LOUD!!

Cherry switches - Tried every popular one made - prefer Ergo Clears by far followed by Browns, Clears, Reds, Blacks, Blues, Greens. Never tried white but they arent very popular.

Topre - current daily driver. Using a Realforce 87U Silent right now. Funny that is basically a rubber dome inside but feels so much better than any cheap rubber dome and lasts infinitely longer. Dont need to bottom out the board but that is hard to do on any Topre let along a light variable but I can bottom out much softer on Topre vs. a standard RD. Also have used a 55g and 45g uniform. Like all three but the variable silent is my current favorite. I also have a HHKB Pro but the key layout messes with me too much to use daily. Love the feel of it though so it sticks around.

So my two daily use boards are a Topre RF 87u/s and a vintage Cherry Corp modded to Ergo Clears. Like both pretty much equally but the Topre is much quieter so I tend to use it more since I work from home.

What keyboard is the quietest, has the least vertical travel, and requires the least force to depress the key?

These are the features i would pref. in a keyboard.

I would be grateful for any counsel in this regard.

I use the Logitech K320 at present. Entry level crap obviously.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 4:33 am

My absolute favorite is a Compaq keyboard from twenty years ago. I have never seen a more satisfying keyboard to use.

Several years ago, I bought a number of them on eBay. About half arrived broken, but I only needed about half as many as were in the lot anyway.

Three_of_us
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2015, 8:46 am

slave wrote:
Three_of_us wrote:

My preferences in order:

What keyboard is the quietest, has the least vertical travel, and requires the least force to depress the key?

The Apple Aluminum would fit the bill. It will work with Windows for 99% of the use you would need. It is a solid chunk of aluminum so very solid with no flex. The chiclet style keys are scissor switches so low profile. It is like typing on a Macbook laptop if you have ever tried one.

If you dont want to go Apple, then try the Logitech Illuminated K740. Again, nice scissor switches but slightly longer throw. I also used a K750 Solar for a while, similar feel and it is a wireless keyboard that is solar powered so no battery changes!

On all of those the key effort isnt super light but no scissor switch is super light. They are not overly heavy though and if you have never used a light switch like a Cherry MX Red or Topre 35g you probably wouldnt notice!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 3:18 pm

Three_of_us wrote:
slave wrote:
Three_of_us wrote:

My preferences in order:

The Apple Aluminum would fit the bill. It will work with Windows for 99% of the use you would need. It is a solid chunk of aluminum so very solid with no flex. The chiclet style keys are scissor switches so low profile. It is like typing on a Macbook laptop if you have ever tried one.

If you dont want to go Apple, then try the Logitech Illuminated K740. Again, nice scissor switches but slightly longer throw. I also used a K750 Solar for a while, similar feel and it is a wireless keyboard that is solar powered so no battery changes!

On all of those the key effort isnt super light but no scissor switch is super light. They are not overly heavy though and if you have never used a light switch like a Cherry MX Red or Topre 35g you probably wouldnt notice!

Thanks for the well considered reply. I will take your counsel. :D

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 4:13 pm

The butterfly keys in the Logitechs Dell ships with their XPS all in ones are nice, I took mine to work and since the Dell has Logitech's receiver built in I use it with the k350 'Wave' ergonomic keyboard I already had.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 12:47 pm

cberg wrote:
The butterfly keys in the Logitechs Dell ships with their XPS all in ones are nice, I took mine to work and since the Dell has Logitech's receiver built in I use it with the k350 'Wave' ergonomic keyboard I already had.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 9:46 pm

I don't need a keyboard, I have a mouse with 18 buttons-- it handles pretty much all my computer related tasks, except straight out typing, even then I'm using the copy/paste/delete/cut buttons on my mouse more than the keyboard it seems.

I did have one gaming keyboard a while back that was mechanical and the noise was damn near enough to give me a meltdown, so I vowed never to touch another one again.

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 8:41 am

I just go to newegg, find the most reliable cheapest keyboard from a manufacturer I know, because any keyboard in our house is susceptible to children/wife dumping their beverages on it, and rather than get mad, since it was so cheap, just say "oh well", it was only $15.

And yes it happens at work too, morons put their coffee cup with no lid right next to the computer that is running an important test. And yes, twice in my life, I have seen beverages, at work, by so-called adults, get dumped on keyboards or electrical equipment, this is not paranoia, it happens, and of course, the person that has to fix it is the one in the mirror.

And even the keyboards I use have been known to have pieces of fingernail in between the keys. Not saying how they got there, only that it happens.

Three_of_us
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2015, 3:07 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
I don't need a keyboard, I have a mouse with 18 buttons-- it handles pretty much all my computer related tasks, except straight out typing, even then I'm using the copy/paste/delete/cut buttons on my mouse more than the keyboard it seems.

I did have one gaming keyboard a while back that was mechanical and the noise was damn near enough to give me a meltdown, so I vowed never to touch another one again.

Are you actually serious? What mouse as 18 buttons? I just counted on mine and I have 9 which surprised me but I use 5 of them daily.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

I wish I knew enough about keyboards to even recognize all those different types listed in this thread. I thought that all keyboards were mechanical.

All I know is that I have a standard USB keyboard, and that I'm going to buy a SafeType when I have enough money because it allows me to type with my hands, wrists and arms in a more natural position.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 5:07 pm

Three_of_us wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Are you actually serious? What mouse as 18 buttons? I just counted on mine and I have 9 which surprised me but I use 5 of them daily.

Logitech G600

It's fully programmable with auto profile switching. I have it set up to a series of different shortcuts depending on the software I'm using. It's got three main buttons, left click/right click/far right click. The far right click can be used as an internal shift and that allows the 12 side buttons to have a new set of shortcuts, so it's really like ~30 shortcut keys available, but I don't use the shift, I bind it to whatever my most used tool is in my current software. It's an mmo gaming mouse so it has a significant learning curve, but well worth it in my opinion.

alex07
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2019, 1:54 pm

As I am a writer, I have to type a large no. of pages per day. So I wanted to buy the perfect keyboard which helps me to type fast. At that point, my friend suggested me a website named keyboardbattle for online comparison among the best keyboards with their advantages and disadvantages. The comparison was so great that I didn't set aside any effort to pick my desired keyboard.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2019, 11:06 pm

alex07 wrote:
As I am a writer, I have to type a large no. of pages per day. So I wanted to buy the perfect keyboard which helps me to type fast. At that point, my friend suggested me a website named keyboardbattle for online comparison among the best keyboards with their advantages and disadvantages. The comparison was so great that I didn't set aside any effort to pick my desired keyboard.

What keyboard did you go with?