Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 May 2018, 8:08 am

wiped out a banquet of them a few weeks back. Haven't seen any since. But they're starting to creep back in again.

I shall kidnap them!! One by one, each time i spot one venturing into MY territory, it shall be kidnapped! And if i get a queen, then i get a queen. But if not, meh. For science an' all that.

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 11:29 am

Buy a pet anteater. :D

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 May 2018, 12:27 am

Oh my!

They look so playful! XD

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 1:15 am

This might sound stupid...but wherever they seem to be coming out from. You should sprinkle pepper there, just typical table top black pepper, they hate that stuff. Me and my boyfriend had some ants in our kitchen, we killed those ones and than i sprinkled the pepper have not seen any ants around there since. So could be something to try.

Also though we are going to move out of the apartment when the lease is up, there is probably mold in the walls because we got flooding due to people upstairs running a sink or dishwasher or something while their water was clogged in the skink or something. So not sure what I suggest is a long term thing...I mean truth be told we don't care what maintenance they have to do to this apartment when we leave and don't want our walls torn apart for the remaining months. So the pepper might just keep them at bay from being visible, not sure it actually gets rid of them...like they are probably still in the floor and walls of this place. Seriously if my and my boyfriend where more wealthy and didn't depend on cheap sh***y places to live on we could try to sue for bad living conditions, but chances are it would cost us more than the reward to pursue anything like that.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 May 2018, 7:59 pm

We have ants coming in our kitchen rite now cuz our cat's food dishes are in there. We had this problem before & got rid of them by getting some kind of strips but we quit being able to find them. We should try looking online. We tried sealing up the places the ants come in from but they just find other nearby holes cuz this is an old place & property management & maintenance don't give a sh!t about maintaining it. They've been trying to sell for over a year now. We should move but moving is expensive. Have to hire movers, pay the security deposit & 1st months rent so we can move our stuff in before our lease runs out. Section 8 only pays most of our rent & won't pay the stuff I just mentioned. It's also kind of hard to find a place within the Section 8 rent limit that will allow us to have pets & where we won't have neighbors that are connected to a large part of our place. We live in a townhouse apartment & have neighbors on both sides of us & the 1s on one side keep listening to music & TV loudly & smoking pot & the smell gets in our place. It's NOT worth moving if we'll have to deal with these or similar neighbor problems in our new place.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 11:16 pm

Honey and boric acid works well for this problem. Have the ants take it back to the nest, kills the hive.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 10:46 am

I’ve had success using corn meal (sprinkle where you see ants).

My parents use diatomaceous earth (also sprinkled where you see ants).

Kind of messy, but safe for use around humans & pets.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 May 2018, 1:08 am

hobojungle wrote:
I’ve had success using corn meal (sprinkle where you see ants).

My parents use diatomaceous earth (also sprinkled where you see ants).

Kind of messy, but safe for use around humans & pets.
We used diatomaceous earth to get rid of bedbugs before but never considered using it for ants. Might have to give that a try Thanx :D

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 May 2018, 6:06 am

i think i need some of this diatomatus (sp) earth stuff lol

I know where they more than likely are. Our kitchen sink and all plumbing sits on the wall facing the front of the house. So they're all more likely situated in the cavity somewhere between the back of the cupboards, the insulation and the outer wall. Stone wall building so, kinda perfect place for ants. No way am i tearing out the cupboards, regardless of it being rented property. And I'm not getting the landlord to start tearing sh!t out either. I just don't have time or patience for that and not all that comfortable with the idea of people taking up our kitchen space trying to irradicate the ants. I don't mind them being there as long as they're not everywhere.

Though, since i decided I wanted to collect them like pokemon, haven't seen a single one :-/

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2018, 8:01 am

napalm...

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 7:04 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
Honey and boric acid works well for this problem. Have the ants take it back to the nest, kills the hive.

This is very effective and boric acid causes minimal harm to the environment and non insect animals.

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 3:41 pm

jon85 wrote:
wiped out a banquet of them a few weeks back. Haven't seen any since. But they're starting to creep back in again.

I shall kidnap them!! One by one, each time i spot one venturing into MY territory, it shall be kidnapped! And if i get a queen, then i get a queen. But if not, meh. For science an' all that.

I once had that problem. I put out ant bait, and waited. After a while, the ants became fewer and fewer, and finally one day I saw a decent sized one leading a group of really small ones on a quest for food.

I realized these must have been very young ones they'd normally not have had venture out, but they were running out of "people" because the poison they'd been taking back to the nest and sharing was wiping the colony out.

I felt a little bad (not much), and only wondered how the little ones hadn't been affected yet.

Put out one of those poisoned "ant traps" which don't actually trap them, but have poison they take back to the colony and share. That should take care of the problem. If only one doesn't do the job, put out a second one. Eventually, they'll all die.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 2:42 pm

With 'stay-at-home' directives, we have opportunities to become proactive towards discouraging ants. Where I live, ants start showing-up in mid-Spring - finding their ways into cupboards, under the sink, and behind the fridge.

Getting a jump on the arrival of the ants, I will apply organic approaches towards discouraging, and killing ants. It's been found that pepper (as in ground pepper-corns), and Peppermint-oil might discourage ants.

I still have store-bought organic spray left-over - hence combining various approaches.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 3:06 pm

I have tried ALL of the previously-mentioned remedies for ant infestations (except the napalm).  The ants stopped invading many years ago after I made a thorough cleaning of the kitchen, dining room, and pantry, right down into the cracks between the floorboards and the spaces under that cabinets.

Then I put ALL food -- especially sugar and sugary foods -- in seal-able containers.  Anything with a snap-top or screw-on lid will do.  Even Zip-Lock bags will work.

Now, every time something spills or drops to the floor, I clean it up immediately.  Same for splatters around the stove, oven, and microwave.

I either clean kitchen gadgets immediately, or leave a little water with a few drops of soap inside.  I've set aside a special tray just for cutlery and attachments (i.e., blades, beaters, et cetera) to soak during meals.  Otherwise, everything used to prepare and consume the meal gets washed immediately after use.  Trash gets taken out at least once each day, too.

No more ants!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 3:29 pm

A thread from two years ago.

Ants serve a useful purpose. They are enemies of termites. So I hate termites more than I hate ants. The ancient proverb, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

But if you want to get rid of the nest, the best product I found was called "Ant Honey". It is an effective insecticide used as baits, fed on by ants and returned to the nest where it killed the queen. It was an insecticide composed of honey and arsenic trioxide. It may have been replaced by new insecticides.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 5:21 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
With 'stay-at-home' directives, we have opportunities to become proactive towards discouraging ants. Where I live, ants start showing-up in mid-Spring - finding their ways into cupboards, under the sink, and behind the fridge.

Getting a jump on the arrival of the ants, I will apply organic approaches towards discouraging, and killing ants. It's been found that pepper (as in ground pepper-corns), and Peppermint-oil might discourage ants.

I still have store-bought organic spray left-over - hence combining various approaches.

I hope that you are aware that this thread ended two years ago. The OP hasn't even been on the site in almost that long.