Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 10:52 pm

Came across this on the website

"The game boy is the "chiptune" artists instrument of choice there are musicians who use vintage game hardware to make electronic music. With special sequencer cartridges, artists can get the device to make a range of weird sounds"

what are some practical uses of outdated technology?

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 10:57 pm

I bought a tube type ham radio to use alongside my solid state equipment. It also keeps things warm in the winter.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 11:44 am

I have an IBM-XT (c.1982) running my home-made security system.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2019, 1:21 pm

Fnord wrote:

That sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures or other information to share about it?

I recently started making a home energy monitor using a BBC Model B. See: https://stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic ... 53&t=17809

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2019, 2:54 pm

steve30 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
That sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures or other information to share about it?
No, because it's a security system.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 1:39 pm

Any audio-TECH people on WP?

I once had a (sleep) dream that combined a 1930s phonograph's sounds with 21st Century audio processing technology. I had successfully interfaced the 1930s phonograph with modern audio processing technology. The song that was playing was the 1981 song 'The Sound of the Crowd' by British Synthpop group 'The Human League.'

I sensed that this dream stemmed from that yearning to best reproduce music from an analog format. The result (in the dream) appeared to do a very good job in enhancing the Synthpop beats.

In the dream, I noted a few people gathered around my successful audio project, and expressing ample interest while enjoying refreshments and light snacks.

Has such an audio project been done in real life? How were the sound qualities?

PHOTO 1930s phonograph's large bulky stylus needle that rests on the record.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kgbkitchen/395420072