Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 2:43 pm

JohnInWales wrote:
I wonder if OpenSCAD is more autistic friendly than trying to draw with a mouse, which is something I've never really got on with.... OpenSCAD is my first successful attempt at drawing the modern way!

I've tried various CAD software, usually losing interest. I really need to learn something like LibreCAD, or SketchUp, to help speed up my work though. As much as I love OpenSCAD, I come across coding roadblocks that take a while for me to figure out and/or research, copy, dissect, and apply to my own project.

JohnInWales wrote:
The Python syntax confused me. It's claimed to be simple to learn, but there are no semi-colons at line ends, and indenting is done to make it work, not just to make it human readable. So I gave up for now. I may go back to it one day. The good thing is that the Pi will work with the nRF24L01 transceivers I'm using for my radio control, and Python will handle C structures that I use for transmitting data, so I should be able to mix Arduinos and Pis in my RC system if I want to.

Maybe we need an Arduino thread too!

I'll circle around to Python again, one day.
Once I get some experience with my Arduino Uno, I'd like to check out an RPi.

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Feb 2020, 3:04 pm

wsmac wrote:
I've tried various CAD software, usually losing interest. I really need to learn something like LibreCAD, or SketchUp, to help speed up my work though. As much as I love OpenSCAD, I come across coding roadblocks that take a while for me to figure out and/or research, copy, dissect, and apply to my own project.

I think I'm well on the way to being able to do everything I want with OpenSCAD. I've learned a bit of Blender too, for a few special uses I have in mind, but I'm not going very far with it.

wsmac wrote:
I'll circle around to Python again, one day.
Once I get some experience with my Arduino Uno, I'd like to check out an RPi.

You've only got one Uno? That won't last! I've got Unos, Megas, Nanos and Pro Minis, and have recently bought some ATtiny84 chips to miniaturise some of the things I'm making. Rabbits have got nothing on the speed that Arduinos breed :lol: .

To get back to the Pi, I watched this useful video about linking a Pi and Arduino using I2C. Arduinos are better at controlling mechanical stuff than Pis, and if you manage to blow up an Arduino it's a fraction of the cost of a Pi to replace. I'm tempted to build my Pi up as a "PiDuino" (don't know if anyone has already called them that!), which could give it some interesting uses.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 3:25 pm

I have one that I use as a retro gaming console. It can easily emulate PS1 games in 1080p (probably better as well), complete with various graphical touchups and 60 fps. :D It struggles when it comes to emulating anything with a 3D accelerator (such as the N64), though.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 6:36 pm

JohnInWales wrote:

You've only got one Uno? That won't last![/quote]
hahaha :lol: