Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 8:56 pm

Now that the university is finally in person rather than remote, I am thinking of a really good way of dealing with my internet addiction. I will purposely leave the computer at my office, and go home to study. That way at home I can focus on all my studying without any disractions.

The only problem with this is that I want to write some physics papers that I want to send for publications. So I do need both computer and internet in order to accomplish it. However, if there was such a thing as a computer without an internet, then I can do the following. Take the computer without the internet to my dorm while leaving the computer with an internet in my office. Write my paper on the computer without the internet. Then once my paper is completely done, use the flash drive to transfer it to the computer with an internet, and then submit it.

I know I could switch off internet on my own computer. But that doesn't cut it because it is too easy to switch it back on. I would like to make it impossible for myself to get on the internet unless I walk half a mile to university. So do you think there are such computers? For example, maybe some parents want to buy their kids computers without an internet, or something?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2021, 11:35 pm

You could always get an older computer that has an operating system (something like XP that is no longer supported) that will not work well being connected to the internet anymore. Those would be fairly cheap to buy, yet can still be used to write papers on. The data can be transferred in the manner that you describe as long as the computer can recognize the drive. You may need an older flash or external drive to do the transfers though. I have purchased desktop versions like that at garage sales for $5 with everything needed. They still work many years later for playing DVDs and storing research papers.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 2:12 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
I have purchased desktop versions like that at garage sales for $5 with everything needed.

How do you find the garage sales? I remember my mom's neighbors used to have garage sales once in a while, but I don't know how to specifically look for one. Is there a website where garage sales are posted or something?

Dr_Manhattan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Aug 2021, 3:07 pm

Air gap your computer from any WiFi networks? WiFi has only so much effective range. Or you could just disable your WiFi card.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 3:20 pm

Just use any website blocker e.g. "Cold Turkey Blocker". It will lock you out temporarily when you need focus. Good thing is you can add exceptions for relevant sites like scholar.google.com while working on your paper.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:26 pm

QFT wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
I have purchased desktop versions like that at garage sales for $5 with everything needed.

How do you find the garage sales? I remember my mom's neighbors used to have garage sales once in a while, but I don't know how to specifically look for one. Is there a website where garage sales are posted or something?

I use www.estatesales.net. With it, you can search for area garage/estate sales and auctions in the USA. It does not cost anything to use.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:44 pm

badRobot wrote:
Just use any website blocker e.g. "Cold Turkey Blocker". It will lock you out temporarily when you need focus. Good thing is you can add exceptions for relevant sites like scholar.google.com while working on your paper.

Is there a way to block it so that I can't un-block?

If so, I can make "cold turkey" blocker for everything except the website of my university and the websites of the journals I am submitting my papers to. If I want to go to other sites (such as wrongplanet) I can go to the library or something. But my laptop should be exclusively for work.

But the key is that I don't want to be able to un-block it. Is there a way to make it impossible for myself to un-block it?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 8:55 pm

If you can't find a used computer, and you have an old computer you don't mind sacrificing, then you can downgrade to Windows XP. Even if the computer hardware has a built-in WiFi receiver, Windows XP won't detect it and it'll become ineffective.

In case anyone is wondering: Windows XP can receive WiFi if you have an external USB WiFi adapter plugged into a port and the correct software is installed, but it can't recognize internal, in-built WiFi in the computer itself. So, no way to "turn it on/off" since it doesn't exist as far as XP is concerned.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:00 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
If you can't find a used computer, and you have an old computer you don't mind sacrificing, then you can downgrade to Windows XP. Even if the computer hardware has a built-in WiFi receiver, Windows XP won't detect it and it'll become ineffective.

In case anyone is wondering: Windows XP can receive WiFi if you have an external USB WiFi adapter plugged into a port and the correct software is installed, but it can't recognize internal, in-built WiFi in the computer itself. So, no way to "turn it on/off" since it doesn't exist as far as XP is concerned.

So will I be able to use "external USB WiFi" when I will be submitting my paper?

I know what USB is (in fact I can store my papers on USB), but I didn't know it has WiFi. How does it work?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 9:16 pm

QFT wrote:
So will I be able to use "external USB WiFi" when I will be submitting my paper?

I know what USB is (in fact I can store my papers on USB), but I didn't know it has WiFi. How does it work?

External = outside of the computer, not built-in.

Your USB stick is like a modern-day floppy disk. You plug it into the USB port (those little slots on the computer) and transfer files between computer and USB. It doesn't have WiFi. That's not what I mean.

What I'm talking about is an external WiFi adapter that you buy separately and plug into one of these same USB ports on the computer. It's basically a little WiFi antenna that connects to the computer in a USB slot. It should come with software that you install on the computer, and then you can use WiFi.

Most modern computers have these WiFi antennas built-in, so you don't need to buy an outside one. And most operating systems (Windows 7 and above) recognize them. This makes it easy to turn on/off the WiFi connection from the computer screen itself, which seems to be too tempting for you.

However, Windows XP doesn't recognize these built-in antennas. So, if you have a computer that has a built-in antenna, and you install Windows XP, the built-in antenna will no longer work. Windows XP won't recognize it, and you won't be able to turn on/off WiFi. There will be no WiFi.

If, later on, you wanted to add WiFi to this Windows XP computer, you'd need one of these external WiFi adapters. But, in the meantime, it will be impossible to access WiFi Internet with Windows XP.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 10:19 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
QFT wrote:

External = outside of the computer, not built-in.

Your USB stick is like a modern-day floppy disk. You plug it into the USB port (those little slots on the computer) and transfer files between computer and USB. It doesn't have WiFi. That's not what I mean.

What I'm talking about is an external WiFi adapter that you buy separately and plug into one of these same USB ports on the computer. It's basically a little WiFi antenna that connects to the computer in a USB slot. It should come with software that you install on the computer, and then you can use WiFi.

Most modern computers have these WiFi antennas built-in, so you don't need to buy an outside one. And most operating systems (Windows 7 and above) recognize them. This makes it easy to turn on/off the WiFi connection from the computer screen itself, which seems to be too tempting for you.

However, Windows XP doesn't recognize these built-in antennas. So, if you have a computer that has a built-in antenna, and you install Windows XP, the built-in antenna will no longer work. Windows XP won't recognize it, and you won't be able to turn on/off WiFi. There will be no WiFi.

If, later on, you wanted to add WiFi to this Windows XP computer, you'd need one of these external WiFi adapters. But, in the meantime, it will be impossible to access WiFi Internet with Windows XP.

Can you show me some photos of USB with antena on it? Or even better: the motion picture of attaching anthena to USB?

Also, can you show me instructions on how to downgrade laptop to Windows XP?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 10:32 pm

QFT wrote:
Can you show me some photos of USB with antena on it? Or even better: the motion picture of attaching anthena to USB?

It's like saying "USB mouse," or "USB keyboard." A mouse and a keyboard can't store anything, but they connect into a USB port (unlike an older mouse or keyboard that need a special place to plug in). An external USB WiFi adapter is an antenna that plugs into a USB port.

They're not USB drives used for storage. You can't save anything on them. They're simply WiFi antennas that attach into the USB port, allowing the computer to receive WiFi. This is because Windows XP doesn't recognize built-in WiFi.

These antennas come in different shapes and sizes. Here's a good example: https://www.amazon.com/EDUP-Wireless-De ... 8335162698

It should also come with a software disc that you install so the computer can recognize the antenna.
Most computers don't need them, because they're built-in and the operating system recognizes the built-in antenna. But if Windows XP is the operating system, you'd need one of these to get WiFi, it won't pick up on the computer's built-in antenna.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 10:39 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
It should also come with a software disc that you install so the computer can recognize the antenna.

But the picture you shown doesn't show that disc.

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
But if Windows XP is the operating system, you'd need one of these to get WiFi, it won't pick up on the computer's built-in antenna.

Can I simply buy another computer that is Windows XP? Or is it too expansive and/or not sold any more?

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2021, 10:46 pm

QFT wrote:
But the picture you shown doesn't show that disc.

No, but on the same webpage it reads: Install Driver : First install the driver from CD Disk ( Included in the package ), then plug the Wi-Fi Adapter into your PC. They don't show it, but it comes included in the package.

QFT wrote:
Can I simply buy another computer that is Windows XP? Or is it too expansive and/or not sold any more?

QuantumChemist suggested you buy a used one. If you can't find a used one, you can always install Windows XP on one of your computers. Preferably an older computer that you don't really care about.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 1:47 am

Hmm, I think it's going to be difficult to find a computer old enough, they've had integrated WiFi for quite some time now. Especially if you go with a laptop, as desktop computers are going to set you back a ton in shipping cost. I know I have one from around 2002 that has integrated WiFi. Older than that, and you're looking at Windows 98/ME/2000 (unless that's okay with you).

I think something like Cold Turkey Blocker is going to be your best bet. I don't know if it's the same program, but I've heard of being able to set timers on them so you can't unlock them.

Another idea: someone changes your WiFi password for you and doesn't tell you what it is. They can update all other wireless devices in the home except for your "work" computer.

Another idea: if you're the only one using the WiFi in the house, you could just unplug the router while you're working.

QuantumChemist wrote:
You could always get an older computer that has an operating system (something like XP that is no longer supported) that will not work well being connected to the internet anymore.

Windows XP can still go online just fine. Internet Explorer doesn't work very well (https sites won't load), but there's nothing stopping you from installing FireFox.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2021, 5:26 am

QFT wrote:
badRobot wrote:

Is there a way to block it so that I can't un-block?

If so, I can make "cold turkey" blocker for everything except the website of my university and the websites of the journals I am submitting my papers to. If I want to go to other sites (such as wrongplanet) I can go to the library or something. But my laptop should be exclusively for work.

But the key is that I don't want to be able to un-block it. Is there a way to make it impossible for myself to un-block it?

It supposed to lock you out for specified period of time with no way to reverse your decision. If you have admin privileges on your computer, in theory it is possible to workaround any soft lock, but for most users this is good enough. This is more about making your bad habit less convenient, not making it completely impossible.