Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2022, 7:29 pm

Anybody notice smartphones equipped with styluses? What about foldable smartphones? These are older phone designs which may be experiencing comebacks.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2022, 5:30 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Anybody notice smartphones equipped with styluses? What about foldable smartphones? These are older phone designs which may be experiencing comebacks.

ADDENDUM: (STORY) Removable Batteries On Smartphone Could Make A Comeback: Here's Why:

STORY: https://www.news18.com/news/tech/remova ... 58993.html

themizarkshow
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Dec 2022, 4:23 pm

At least from my perspective, these are all "gimmicks" from companies trying to find a way to distinguish this years model from last years model. For years, I was on a yearly upgrade model, but gave it up after there really was no change between what I have vs what I could get.

I think that is being reflected in how Apple is splitting its phones into a regular and pro model, where the "regular" iPhone is basically last years "pro" phone being repackaged without a camera or feature they're saving for the Pro users. I wouldn't be surprised if more hardware companies start staggering their big releases from a yearly cycle to bi-yearly until the next big thing happens (Augmented Reality?). The software isn't changing much these days, and the hardware is hitting a wall in terms of how fast they can innovate vs actually produce at scale.

- Late-Dx Autie in Milwaukee
- Interests include: twisty puzzles, videogames, zines, & typewriters
- My main Mastodon account
- My most active NeoCities page (hooray for the old web)

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 3:04 pm

themizarkshow wrote:
At least from my perspective, these are all "gimmicks" from companies trying to find a way to distinguish this years model from last years model. For years, I was on a yearly upgrade model, but gave it up after there really was no change between what I have vs what I could get.

I think that is being reflected in how Apple is splitting its phones into a regular and pro model, where the "regular" iPhone is basically last years "pro" phone being repackaged without a camera or feature they're saving for the Pro users. I wouldn't be surprised if more hardware companies start staggering their big releases from a yearly cycle to bi-yearly until the next big thing happens (Augmented Reality?). The software isn't changing much these days, and the hardware is hitting a wall in terms of how fast they can innovate vs actually produce at scale.

Aside from smartphones with stylus' (for better control in selecting screen options), and smartphones with replaceable batteries (for environmental concerns), TECH. gimmicks are pervasive.

The discussion thread in this forum, 'TECH Concerns, Pet Peeves, Whys & Why Nots Of TECH Etc. Etc.' may be of interest.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2023, 4:02 pm

All I want is a headphone jack...

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 5:11 pm

Egg Freckles.

Wikipedia - Apple Newton - Later history and cancellation
gocomics.com - Doonesbury - Egg Freckles

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2023, 5:23 pm

usagibryan wrote:
All I want is a headphone jack...

^^^^^^AGREED^^^^^^ > :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2023, 8:34 pm

https://www.amazon.com/8ware-Lightning- ... B099S54LW1

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 12:50 pm

Fenn wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/8ware-Lightning-Headphone-Earphone-Charging/dp/B099S54LW1

thank you for this link , am using a usb-c. but found it through the link you provided . :D

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 9:29 am

I use something like this one for my Bose Quiet Comfort over the ears earphones

https://www.amazon.com/APEKX-Bluetooth- ... B01MUXYVOA

I think this must be the one you wanted:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Headphone- ... B09D8MKKDS

For 20 or 40 bucks you can get an adapter for almost anything.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 9:49 am

Fenn wrote:
I use something like this one for my Bose Quiet Comfort over the ears earphones

https://www.amazon.com/APEKX-Bluetooth- ... B01MUXYVOA

I think this must be the one you wanted:

https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-Headphone- ... B09D8MKKDS

For 20 or 40 bucks you can get an adapter for almost anything.

Reveiws on the bluetooth devise scared me off but the other one ...
Very very good .. you did better on your search than I did ... ""Thank you again"" ...Sold ..!
Went a different site to buy .. got same price ..Am not happy with Amazon from some past shippping mistakes they made Sometime ago . Was Precisely what i was looking for this time . :D

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2023, 8:04 pm

Please refocus on the topic 'Smartphone Features Making a Comeback?'

Smartphones with stylus' (for better control in using smaprtphones) seems to be a trend which avoid TECH gimmickry.

A smartphone stylus can be purchased separate - the pointed stylus' offers the best control over stylus' - as opposed to stylus designs using flat, padded tips.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 12:52 am

JustFoundHere wrote:

I've been noticing smartphones equipped with styluses since I bought one a few months ago. It's a Samsung S22 Ultra.
I've been noticing folding phones since one of my friends bought a Samsung Z flip.

If older phone designs are making a comeback I sure hope they bring back the physical keyboard.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2023, 4:37 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

I've been noticing smartphones equipped with styluses since I bought one a few months ago. It's a Samsung S22 Ultra.
I've been noticing folding phones since one of my friends bought a Samsung Z flip.

If older phone designs are making a comeback I sure hope they bring back the physical keyboard.

Yes - SmartPhones with styluses. SmartPhones with physical keyboards, or both!

Princess Viola
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2023, 7:14 pm

There's honestly only two major smartphone features that I want to come back universally:
3.5mm headphone jacks and microSD expansion.

I am not kidding when I say that I am not even remotely interested in a phone that lacks those features, I refuse to use wireless earbuds or headphones and I want the ability to expand the available storage I have without needing to drop more money on a phone with more preinstalled storage. You could give me a phone with 1 TB of internal storage and I'd still want to be able to expand it.

My current phone (Moto G Stylus 2021) has both of those features and a stylus and let me tell you, I love this damn phone. Also styluses are great for more precise tapping and stuff - especially compared to my fat fingers, I use it a lot.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2023, 4:17 pm

Are the (old-style) 'flip phones experiencing comeback -- with younger generations?
https://patch.com/connecticut/milford/a ... g-comeback