Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 9:20 am

Google drive- crap, One drive-crap,Dropbox-crap, Mega-crap-says up to date, but only 15% of files uploaded.

Want something reasonably priced/good storage/ auto uploads new and updated files/simple to use-no fiddle faddle/ doesn't take ages to upload files/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 10:35 am

what kinds of things do you have files of that you need so much storage for?

Games?

Movies?

Music?

Just text documents?

Do you run a business?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 11:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
what kinds of things do you have files of that you need so much storage for?

Games?

Movies?

Music?

Just text documents?

Do you run a business?

Lots of text files, some pdfs, some images, html files. In all 19.9 gb

Run a business ?! Struggle at running my own life.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 11:35 am

Just text text, and still pictures?

How did you manage to rack up 20 gigs?

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 2:13 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Just text text, and still pictures?

How did you manage to rack up 20 gigs?

I've got a number of 10,000 kb+ files which are raw data files from Ancestry DNA,23andme etc

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2021, 11:33 pm

Do you mean "ten kilobytes" (which is ten thousand bytes)?

Or do you actually mean that those files take up "ten thousand kilobytes".

If the later then that would be the same thing as "ten megabytes".

Not much of an expert I do know that text and still pics take less memory than do music, and moving pictures.

An hour of audio (like on album length cd of music) is about 60 megabytes. So even if a text report from a DNA ancestry company used ten megabytes (i doubt that it would use that much) that would still be only equivalent to like ten minutes of music (like three pop songs on your playlist). That still wouldnt be much.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 3:20 am

10 mb+ files.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 9:48 am

Firemonkey - Why not buy a nice external hard drive for your data storage? I bought a Seagate version off of Amazon for $65 shipped that was 2 Terabytes (2000 Gbyts) and it arrived the next day. It is small and portable. I needed to backup my files from my school laptop as the lease is up on it soon. I do not trust putting grading/research files up on the cloud. Too many hackers could get into them that way. I have 100 Gbyts in research data alone to store long term.

Seagate and Toshiba are good brands for external hard drives if you go that way. Stay away from the stranger named versions, as many of them have unstable mediums for data storage. I picked up two cheap ($20 each) off brand 1T memory sticks that are now basically are worthless for storage. You live and then learn that you get what you pay for. They can only transfer some amounts of data between Apple and a PC or they would get recycled. Most of the files I try to save on them fail in the transfer. Photos are the only files that they save well. I also do not trust some of the off brands not to have viruses on them for data spying.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 11:09 am

QuantumChemist wrote:
Firemonkey - Why not buy a nice external hard drive for your data storage?

I'm wary of doing so, because a while back I had a lot of music on such a drive. The drive failed, and I lost all the music.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 4:11 pm

Yeah. I have an old external hard drive. Supposedly I could still get data off of it, if I did enough work, or paid someone to do the work, but its inaccessible now.

But now I just use thumb drives.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 5:49 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Google drive- crap, One drive-crap,Dropbox-crap, Mega-crap-says up to date, but only 15% of files uploaded.

Want something reasonably priced/good storage/ auto uploads new and updated files/simple to use-no fiddle faddle/ doesn't take ages to upload files/

Why Google Drive is crap? It works very well for me. I couldn't be happier so far.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Many technologies and some ISPs have asymmetrical up/down speeds.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 5:51 pm

firemonkey wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
Firemonkey - Why not buy a nice external hard drive for your data storage?

I'm wary of doing so, because a while back I had a lot of music on such a drive. The drive failed, and I lost all the music.

"Two is one and one is none". Ideally you should have at least two local copies of your most important information on different drives and offsite backup.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 6:05 pm

You can measure your connection speed with some meter like https://www.speedtest.net/

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 10:44 pm

badRobot wrote:
firemonkey wrote:

Why Google Drive is crap? It works very well for me. I couldn't be happier so far.

What kind of internet connection do you have? Many technologies and some ISPs have asymmetrical up/down speeds.

Google drive was crap because it took ages to upload files to it. At present I'm with Plusnet.It's hyped up as being good, but is very flaky. My s/daughter has said it's very slow . Tomorrow I'm being switched over to BT fibre - estimated download 35 - 36
Mbps. Estimated upload 8 - 9 Mbps.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 10:48 pm

badRobot wrote:
You can measure your connection speed with some meter like https://www.speedtest.net/

Terrible.

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2021, 11:26 pm

firemonkey wrote:
badRobot wrote:

Terrible.

OK, this is xDSL connection, that's what I suspected. Google Drive should work perfectly fine after your switch to fiber connection with 8Mbps upload speed.

If you have unlimited data plan on your smartphone you could try uploading using tethered access point connection like Apple's "Personal Hotspot" to upload through your phone. LTE and even 3G connection would be much faster than xDSL upload, but your cellular operator might charge extra money for this type of connection, be careful.