Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2022, 7:08 pm

I have an iPhone & iPad Pro, I really want to buy a laptop, what kind is the best? I haven’t had a laptop in over 10 years. I don’t know what they have on laptops anymore.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 7:18 am

Similar to a smartphone, RAM is very important. I had 4gb and had to upgrade it to 8gb for windows to run decent.

So either buy one that has 8gb or one that is easy to upgrade (a part of the case that comes off the back and allows you access to RAM)

If you want to play up to date games,edit video,or do 3d modelling you'd need an expensive one.

Garthilium
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2022, 2:13 pm

This is a bit late but since you have apple devices you may want to look at getting a macbook, I'd ether get a use 15inch from around 2015 (not 2016-2021 as they have bad issues) or look at the new M1/2 Air. If you plan on doing gaming or intensive computational stuff ie not basic internet use, office work, media use etc then I'd look at getting a windows(or linux) device, MSI is a good brand imo although I prefer clevo laptops because they are customiseable.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2022, 8:32 am

Too little information to recommend anything. What are you going to use it for, how willing are you to learn how to use it, budget, other constrains (weight, size).

In any case, I'd say there's a better choice than Apple (cheaper, more freedom, same performance) for whatever it is you need.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 8:33 am

I've been getting reconditioned laptops for a few years. Much cheaper and if you can find a good company recommended by Microsoft or Apple or whoever, you'll be well looked after.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2022, 8:58 pm

KitLily wrote:
I've been getting reconditioned laptops for a few years. Much cheaper and if you can find a good company recommended by Microsoft or Apple or whoever, you'll be well looked after.

The second hand market also has many many gems. Those T400 ThinkPads can be found very cheap but they still got it. Many laptops just need a cleanup and a new SSD to replace the old slow HDD and they'll do fine for a few years. If you plan on runnig Linux, even better, more options available.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2022, 9:23 pm

If you already have an iPad Pro, what do you need or want the laptop for? Add a keyboard, and you've already got more than a laptop for most uses.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2022, 5:46 am

SpaceMartian wrote:
The second hand market also has many many gems. Those T400 ThinkPads can be found very cheap but they still got it. Many laptops just need a cleanup and a new SSD to replace the old slow HDD and they'll do fine for a few years. If you plan on runnig Linux, even better, more options available.

Yes the SSD is so much better isn't it! Also stays much cooler. My old laptop without the SSD used to get so, so hot! I couldn't work on it for long.

SpaceMartian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Aug 2022, 8:04 pm

KitLily wrote:
SpaceMartian wrote:

Yes the SSD is so much better isn't it! Also stays much cooler. My old laptop without the SSD used to get so, so hot! I couldn't work on it for long.

Well seems like you had bad or fried HDD there, usually SSD cause computers to run hotter, not cooler! Reason is simple, instead of having your CPU idling while your hard drive does it's thing, not it has to work much harder because wait times are almost eliminated. I've seen with older laptops or low end ones, that as soon you swap the drive, the CPU instantly becomes the main bottleneck for the system, often becoming the source of 95% of all the "wait time" you experience. HDD do heat up a bit (SSD also do, but it is inappreciable in any average laptop, they never give it enough work to that become a factor), but to the point you describe, it was either damaged or bad quality. Or that laptop has hideous thermals, which could also be the case.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2022, 4:41 am

SpaceMartian wrote:
Well seems like you had bad or fried HDD there, usually SSD cause computers to run hotter, not cooler! Reason is simple, instead of having your CPU idling while your hard drive does it's thing, not it has to work much harder because wait times are almost eliminated. I've seen with older laptops or low end ones, that as soon you swap the drive, the CPU instantly becomes the main bottleneck for the system, often becoming the source of 95% of all the "wait time" you experience. HDD do heat up a bit (SSD also do, but it is inappreciable in any average laptop, they never give it enough work to that become a factor), but to the point you describe, it was either damaged or bad quality. Or that laptop has hideous thermals, which could also be the case.

I've no idea what any of that means, sorry.

My old laptop with a disc drive was about 7 years old so it got very hot. The one with an SSD is nice and cool.