Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 8:50 am

What kind of horror stories have you heard about coding boot camp?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 3:29 am

Mostly that recruiters laugh at them.

pigsrock
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2022, 7:19 pm

i enjoyed my coding boot camp

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 11:50 am

Might cost less than taking a full set of masters degree classes at a university. For me I sometimes need external structure to learn new things. I would consider them for skill building. A lot of job interviews include a “skills test” these days. If you are rusty or, like me, program in many different languages they can be hard to get through. A bootcamp to brush up could help.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2022, 6:46 am

No horror stories per se, but boot camps aren't really an adequate substitute for a full computer science degree.

Boot camps might be a good way to learn (or brush up on) specific skills. But a well-rounded computer programmer needs much more than just specific skills.

A well-rounded computer programmer needs to understand what computers fundamentally are and how they work, and needs to know how to solve a variety of problems. A well-rounded computer programmer needs to know what kinds of problems are relatively hard or easy to solve on a computer -- and what kinds of problems are or aren't even possible to solve on a computer, in the first place. A well-rounded computer programmer needs to be able to recognize which algorithms are relatively efficient, or not, as a way to solve a given problem. Also it's important to learn the art of software engineering, to learn ways to keep bugs to a minimum and make it as easy as possible to find and fix bugs.