A little help please for a computer challenged person

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2007, 11:06 pm

How would I set up an e-mail account with a Mac OSX? Whenever I try to set up a new account through Mail it tells me that my either username and password are wrong. How can it be wrong if I haven't set it yet?

I have an e-mail account through my college and it is automatically my name followed by the college's name. Is there a way that the college wireless can set it up so that that is the only e-mail account I can use? Or am I just doing it wrong?

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 2:18 am

GoatOnFire wrote:
How would I set up an e-mail account with a Mac OSX? Whenever I try to set up a new account through Mail it tells me that my either username and password are wrong. How can it be wrong if I haven't set it yet?

I have an e-mail account through my college and it is automatically my name followed by the college's name. Is there a way that the college wireless can set it up so that that is the only e-mail account I can use? Or am I just doing it wrong?

I don't know much about computers, either-but mine is an emac which runs on OS X.

Have not been able to use Mail program without having a special account through Apple's ".mac" service, which costs money (was free for a month when I first bought computer). So I just use browser when online & have free email through Yahoo, and have settings such that a Yahoo page is what browser opens with, so I can get to my mail quickly. I have dial-up, so in that my situation may also be different-don't know anything about wireless. Sorry that's probably not adequate answer-it's all I've got figured out.

overflow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Oct 2007, 3:29 am

GoatOnFire wrote:

Never used OSX myself, but if Mail is like any other typical email application you'll need to know: username, password, incoming server (POP), outgoing server (SMTP).

Typically, those settings are provided by your ISP, but there are a some free email providers that let you use POP and SMTP. Google does. Yahoo does, but only if you pay. You can also just go to their web site to access your mail as Belfast mentioned about Yahoo.

GoatOnFire wrote:

I wouldn't think they are blocking anything that prevents you from using other email providers, especially web-based ones. As long as Mail on OSX allows for multiple accounts, or you go with a web-based free email provider, you should be able to use both your college account and another one.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2007, 3:52 pm

Thank you all for the advice. If there is anything useful you see unposted don't hesitate to post it.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2007, 1:17 am

get a gmail account.
gmail rules