Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 1:23 pm

What do you think would happen if the earth was found by aliens?

In my opinion, if aliens found the earth, they would likely cut the earth in half with a giant lightsaber, take the earth's inner core, and then just leave the rest of the earth to wander through space.

If there are intelligent aliens out there who are capable of travelling across the vastness of space, they have probably augmented their intelligence using a combination of genetic engineering and cybernetics. Their intelligence would likely be beyond our comprehension. They likely wouldn't even see us as living beings entitled to rights.

In other words, we should hope that the aliens out there in the universe are less advanced than we are. I would prefer it if aliens were animalistic ... or medieval at most.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 9:35 am

Years ago I went to the then new Smithsonian Aerospace Museum. The place with the real Spirit of St. Louis hanging from the ceiling like a toy, alongside actual Mercury capsules.

Finnished the visit by browsing in the bookstore and looked at a huge coffee table book called "the field guide to space aliens". A book of artists' conceptions of what the various aliens that figure in all of the Nebula Award winning sci fi novels of the past several decades would look like. Laugh out loud funny some of the social commentary.

The most believable aliens IMHO were the ones in some novel who were "SWORN, to rid the Earth of man,...and of other pests!".

We tend to assume that aliens would view us the way we view an enemy human army (to be conquered), or alternatively as beings to shake hands with. In truth evolution on another planet would create aliens SO alien that they would probably view us the way we view silver fish, or cockroaches. And we probably wouldn't even have the honor of being the "pests" most feared by the aliens. They would probably be more terrified of pigeons, or rats, or some other species of pest. Humans would probably barely make the top ten (below poison ivy, but above fire ants as the earth species the alien invaders would most despise). They would dispatch us pretty fast. But kudzu would take some time to eradicate. Damned Earth pests!

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 10:02 am

I wonder what aliens laughing hysterically is going to sound like? (or maybe look like, taste like, who knows?) :wink:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 12:27 pm

About 20 years ago I was in the checkout line, and I saw my absolute favorite grocery store tabloid headline of all time: "Farmer says UFO Alien Sang 'Love Me Tender'".

So there ya have it! PROOF that aliens probably sound something like this:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 26 Mar 2018, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 12:29 pm

And if you doubt what I am saying all I gotta say is this:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 1:33 pm

^ :lol:
Naturalplastic, thankyou - I've had a crappy day, and that is just what I needed! :D

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 9:22 pm

It's highly likely that aliens will never find us anyway. After all, we have the Fermi Paradox to contend with.

I totally understand why we don't see intelligent life out there, given that there are so many potential hazards which could potentially extinguish an intelligent species. An intelligent species could potentially be extinguished by a nuclear war, germ warfare, cybernetic revolt, global warming, ect. There is also the chance that intelligent beings inevitably create brutal world dictatorships, or lose the desire to explore the universe due to the influence of soma.

... or perhaps our obsession with outer space is just an adolescent fantasy which is derived from the desire to escape from the brutal, capitalist system in which we live. Perhaps future generations will turn the earth a perfect social utopia, and then lose the desire to leave the earth.

... or may be the vastness of space is full of unseen hazards. Perhaps the space between solar systems is full of cancer-causing radiation. Perhaps the Oort Cloud is so dangerous that it forms an impenetrable barrier. Perhaps the space between solar systems contains dark energy ... and dark energy is like Cthulhu or something. Perhaps the hazards that we already know about (such as bone deterioration) become deadly after a few years in space.

... or maybe the evolution of intelligent life was just an incredibly unlikely event.

In any case, there are many reasons why aliens are not interacting with us.

If aliens ever do invade earth, they will likely be robots who killed off their parent species. Robots are effectively immune to most of the filters that could potentially extinguish an intelligent species.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2018, 4:27 pm

Overall, I never want to find intelligent aliens out in the universe. In my opinion, it would be far more interesting to discover a safari of alien animals on a wild planet.

I watched Alien Planet when I was a teenager and, to this day, I still fantasize about journeying across Darwin 4 just like Ike and Leo. ^-^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_Planet

The cosmos is wild ... or at least I hope it is.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2018, 5:07 pm

when you say aliens do you mean human level intelligence right? because in that case i think the aliens would look similar to us - if not the same. since all patterns in the universe are replicated to some extent it makes sense to think there are earth like planets with human like civilisations. I would be more surprised if the opposite was true - though not overruling the possibility. it would be interesting to see if indeed earth is the ideal living habitat or if there are other combinations but as far as we know earth is the ideal one for human like intelligence and from there i'd deduce that aliens would be like us.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 9:29 pm

Would it be at all possible to communicate with intelligent aliens and convince them that our lives matter?

I mean ... it might be unlikely ... but it's a nice thing to think about.

Perhaps intelligent aliens will eventually outgrow their desire to kill other intelligent beings. Hopefully that happens before they take to the stars.

We'll see I guess. Humans still haven't reached that point, since war, bullying and murder are still very common occurrences ... but we are arguably closer to world peace than we are to interstellar travel.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 9:32 pm

Do you think that human beings will still have religion once we contact aliens?

Perhaps we'll need to create a new religion which binds humans and aliens together in galactic harmony.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2018, 10:06 pm

Quote:
Do you think that human beings will still have religion once we contact aliens?

^^ Ursula LeGuin had an interesting take on this in her short story The Field of Vision (The Wind's Twelve Quarters).

Well worth a read, or a watch: Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3noUznJ4-8

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 10:09 am

I just realized something.

If aliens actually invade earth, we might actually have a good chance of survival because the Aliens will learn the error of their ways before we are all dead ... though in this scenario our descendants will spend the rest of their years in reservations without adequate electricity or drinking water.

The real danger occurs if aliens just decide to demolish the earth or something like that.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 11:01 am

^^ Meh, you're equating superior technology with superior ethics. That has not exactly worked for this species (cf. Hiroshima and Nagasaki) so it's fallacious to assume that it would for others.

Just as likely they'd find out we taste like chicken* and hunt us to virtual extinction before their brains got in front of their greed. Bison bison, anyone? How about Ectopistes migratorius (the delicious, apparently, and now extinct, passenger pigeon, whose flocks were once so huge they could obscure the sun on a cloudless day)?

*Edit in: apparently, we actually taste like pork. If you are ever offered "long pig", politely decline.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 11:46 am

The OTHER white meat!

Long pig. :lol:

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2018, 12:12 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
^^ Meh, you're equating superior technology with superior ethics. That has not exactly worked for this species (cf. Hiroshima and Nagasaki) so it's fallacious to assume that it would for others.

Just as likely they'd find out we taste like chicken* and hunt us to virtual extinction before their brains got in front of their greed. Bison bison, anyone? How about Ectopistes migratorius (the delicious, apparently, and now extinct, passenger pigeon, whose flocks were once so huge they could obscure the sun on a cloudless day)?

*Edit in: apparently, we actually taste like pork. If you are ever offered "long pig", politely decline.

I doubt that our meat would even be edible to aliens. Remember: They come from a different planet with a different atmosphere ... so they likely have alien biochemistry.

If course, this means that they will likely terraform the earth before colonising ... which would kill most life in earth.