Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2004, 8:52 pm

In windows xp you can turn off tons of the screen effects and in essence close virtually everything down but essentials. Optimally I have it so that its just the program I'm running and the hardware interface parts to allow it to work. (utilizing a mere 20 megs of system resident in memory).
For mac OS x, can a similar amount of things be turned off?

I hate how Microsoft made that "blue theme" the default and its one of the first things I switch off while using xp. I also hate how mac OS x looks by default almost as much as I hate xp's look. I'm all about efficiency, and don't enjoy having a companies' idea of beauty bungle up speed for what I'd really want a computer to do. I don't mind things that are useful, like more detailed icons and other things in that sense, but why does everything have to look so metallic when all I want to do is check my e-mail and do a little photoshoping.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2004, 9:11 pm

UltimApe wrote:
I hate how Microsoft made that "blue theme" the default and its one of the first things I switch off while using xp. I also hate how mac OS x looks by default almost as much as I hate xp's look. I'm all about efficiency, and don't enjoy having a companies' idea of beauty bungle up speed for what I'd really want a computer to do.

I hate that too with a passion. I've also got everything turned off as I prefer the "classic" windows look too.

UltimApe wrote:
I'm all about efficiency, and don't enjoy having a companies' idea of beauty bungle up speed for what I'd really want a computer to do.

That's the beauty of bloatware, an OS that occupies 400mb on you hard drive

What I'd like to see MS do is what Apple did for all their OS's pre-system 7 and write the whole thing in assembler. There was nothing quite like the system 6 days, a full blown GUI with extensions to go with it, and it all fit on a 720k floppy disk!

neutron189
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Aug 2004, 4:08 pm

WINDOWS AND MAC ARE BAD USE LINUX (i am only using windows until i find out more about linux)

UltimApe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2004, 4:12 pm

I've tride a bunch, but they aren't quite as easy to use. Plus, very very few games work on it.

When *linux gets directX, and better hardware support. I'll be jumping the boat as soon as possible.

alex
Developer
Developer

12 Aug 2004, 5:06 pm

UltimApe wrote:
I've tride a bunch, but they aren't quite as easy to use. Plus, very very few games work on it.

When *linux gets directX, and better hardware support. I'll be jumping the boat as soon as possible.

Linux has directx and good hardware support if you get the right hardware.

V111
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Aug 2004, 7:36 pm

yeh i do use tweak ui for winxp to fix some of the annoying effect in windoze along with the non-xp theme. I would switch to a non- windoze ops if could get a good step by step book about how to install it. it's force of bad habit that keeps me using windows. As for macs they now use a form of unix/linex and yes there gui is not as user hostile. As for games iam very sick of first person shooters only one program keeps me from switching to a non-windows software

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2005, 2:59 pm

Alex wrote:
Linux has directx and good hardware support if you get the right hardware.

Yeah, but get the wrong hardware and you're screwed :P

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 9:34 am

Quote:
I hate that too with a passion. I've also got everything turned off as I prefer the "classic" windows look too.

mmmm. . . .had a VERY fun day turning off all the XP features that I hated. Gotta love that classic windows look.

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 9:40 am

<Hugs his win98 SE partition>

<Hopes never to have to use more recent windows editions>

<Realises he's typing this on XP because he's at a seminar thingy>

Arse

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 9:51 am

Got to agree.... 98SE is buggy and unstable, but much more lovable than XP. I used the classic look for XP but it just wasn't the same... *sniff*

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2005, 9:29 pm

Quote:
WINDOWS AND MAC ARE BAD USE LINUX (i am only using windows until i find out more about linux)

Actually, windows is just fine if you know how to use it. 99.9% of ALL computer errors are user errors. Linux is much easier to crash, in my experience, then windows 2000.

2K all the way. =) I have most everything turned off that I can, and still get angry with some of the 'pretty' stuff going on.

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 5:10 am

Kitsune wrote:
Actually, windows is just fine if you know how to use it. 99.9% of ALL computer errors are user errors. Linux is much easier to crash, in my experience, then windows 2000.

I must be a really terrible user. I can crash a machine running win98SE without even touching it! :P

For some reason though, I have to really mess about with linux to get it to get it even slightly upset.

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2005, 3:59 pm

You're using a monsterous mutation of DOS with windows 98 SE. Use NT/2K. =)

It took me all of five minutes to completely destroy linux. It isn't as stable as people think. (Took out mandrake.)

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 4:05 pm

What did you do? Randomly start deleting system files? Piss on the computer?

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2005, 4:06 pm

My 32K BBC B never ever ever crashes :D

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Jun 2005, 4:25 pm

Nope, I started installing things onto it to increase it's capabilities. =)

It had trouble installing, would not recognize the hard drive or say it did but installed anyway.

It's incredibly easy to crash, though. A friend bet that I couldn't crash his and I had it down in under thirty minutes. He had secured the computer for the most part.

Still, comparing anything to a DOS based operating system will make anything look like an angel. Stop using Windows 98 sucker's edition, throw away moron's edition, and get rid of 95 tons of MS BS.

2K is the only good windows OS. =)