Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2005, 5:03 am

I was just wondering since we were talking RSS feeds and podcast hosters use the same methods too. I was wondering if any here subscribed to audio feeds or hosted any.

I didn't really get into it. But when iTunes added some podcast support and listed selected podcasts in the iTMS. I decided to give it a small try. Don't really care for it too much myself yet.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2005, 3:49 pm

I never understood the tech behind podcasting. Is it a free online radio broadcast-like thing? The thought of a WP podcast has popped up before, and I'd be interested.

nocturnalowl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Sep 2005, 5:15 pm

Their free usually. Their not streamed online, but really downloadable files such as MP3 and other type of audio files. Some radio programs offer a recording of their shows after they end, so maybe by going to the programs or radio stations website, maybe they will post the episodes. Other podcasts are like weblogs but audio blogs. So anyone with a website can record their thoughts, make an MP3 file or whatever and upload them to their site.

You can download them separately by clicking on the file; or suscribe by clicking on some podcast link which says something like RSS or "Subscribe file" You need some podcast software such as iPodderX or even the recent iTunes (4.9 or above) if you want to hear them and subscribe.

Clicking the Suscribe link may automatically open the podcasting software but for others, they might have to copy the URL address which usually ends in files such as /rss.xml or anything else, and then paste it into the URL address bar which shows up by selecting "subscribe podcast" or something similar on the application.

By subscribing you can program the software to update and download recent episodes automatically or manually. Select and download any available podcast that the host carries, or grab all of them (auto or manually also). But be careful some files may get big and can use up a lot of disk space. Though the software does allow one to delete the files that are not needed anymore.