Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

viska
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2008, 10:33 pm

Hi,

I'm building a linux machine that will be on my network. It's going to share a largish hardrive with my windows machines over samba. What filesystem should I format this drive in?

Aesteros
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Feb 2008, 3:03 am

I usually use XFS on my desktop for it's fast load-times and low processor usage, which both are needed for an optimal server, but I never used it in a server environment. Don't use ext3/ext4, they use too much processing power for the good of a server. One problem of XFS is that it isn't as stable as the other FS's. I think JFS may be a good compromise between stability and efficiency; . It all depends on who you ask. The ext's may be the standard, but it's definitely not the best.

Also, a more specific question that may change everything:

Will it write more data or will it store and read more data than it will write??

viska
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2008, 9:14 am

Probably read more data. I'm basically going to put music and movies on it.

This disk is also going to be separate from the main OS disk. So I can use ext3 on the boot disk and whatever on the storage disk.

viska
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 1:52 am

I've narrowed it down to XFS or JFS. BTW, the volume size is going to be 2.5 - 3 terabytes.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2008, 2:25 am

I'd recommend ReiserFS if you use a rather flat directory structure or otherwise JFS. The ext2/3s have the advantage that they can be accessed with all kinds of Live-CDs in case the main system isn't available (misconfiguration, filesystem error, the latest newly compiled kernel...)

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

viska
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2008, 11:53 pm

I have it up with ext3 right now, just testing. It's a 2.7 TB volume :)

The only bad thing is that the copies between my windows machine and it are 10 megabytes per second, even though I have a gigabit NIC on both cards and a gigabit router.