Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2008, 6:33 pm

Hello,

Is there a big difference of speed between Tiger and Leopard ?

Cause I'm gonna get a Mac Mini (1.83), before he came with Tiger.

I chose this one cause it's the cheapest, I'll add more ram and I'll change the drive for a 7200 rpm.

bikermark
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2008, 6:53 pm

According to my quick check on wiki, the Leopard tank, made in the 1960's, was rated at 40 mph, while the Tiger I tank was rated at 23 mph. Either one could ram stuff, but I don't know what their rpm's were.

Mark

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2008, 7:05 pm

bikermark wrote:
According to my quick check on wiki, the Leopard tank, made in the 1960's, was rated at 40 mph, while the Tiger I tank was rated at 23 mph. Either one could ram stuff, but I don't know what their rpm's were.

Mark

I'm sorry, but I was talking about Apple Macintosh, OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and OS X 10.5 (Leopard).

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 8:49 pm

I'd say go for Leopard. Tiger came out before all new Macs had Intel chips, and was patched for intel compatability, so it's Intel compatability may be a bit slower than Leopard, which has been coded to run better on Intel systems. Can't say I've really noticed a huge speed increase, but a lot of the features of Leopard make working with it a little quicker.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2008, 9:32 pm

dangit axta, ya stole my line!...;)

the Leopard also is more accurate, has a higher sustained rate of fire, and better armor.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 May 2008, 4:41 pm

I find Leopard faster. My macbook came with Tiger.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 May 2008, 3:17 am

Leopard's not necessarily "faster" but it is more stable, so it's better in that way.

Sometimes more stable means faster, too. Finder in tiger used to beachball all the time when it would get stuck doing things. Now Finder in leopard is multi-threaded or something and is a lot faster responding when part of it is stuck.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 5:11 am

Leopard more than likely has much better support for multi core processors (multithreading) While Tiger could run on dual G4 systems, thats quite different from the modern Core2Duos in most Macs.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2008, 6:13 pm

I currently have Leopard on my new computer (which I bought just 3 hours ago).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

atxa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2008, 7:34 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Another new Mac user, Cool !

I'll get mine next week.

Jonny
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2008, 3:52 pm

wolphin wrote:
Leopard's not necessarily "faster" but it is more stable, so it's better in that way.

Sometimes more stable means faster, too. Finder in tiger used to beachball all the time when it would get stuck doing things. Now Finder in leopard is multi-threaded or something and is a lot faster responding when part of it is stuck.

Yup! I even noticed when right clicking on a file in Finder, the menu pops up musch faster.

z0rp
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2008, 3:21 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

What's your new computer? I'm assuming a mac, though you could be a hacker for all I know and get it the other way as I and plenty others have done..

exiled_sage
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Aug 2008, 2:32 am

"Faster" is kinda open to interpretation...
Are we talking about the "Feel" of the operating system or the actual percentage of system resources (Ram, Cpu cycles, etc) just the OS by it's self uses?

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2008, 5:30 am

Leopard is definitely much slower on my ancient Titanium Powerbook G4 — so slow that I gave up on it and went back to Tiger. I don't know about the Mac Mini, but it'll surely do a better job. Either way, I would wait for Snow Leopard. Apple was apparently worried enough about Leopard that they're releasing the next version as a bug fix only. There will be no significant new features. And it will cost just as much. So if you're going to buy it, wait and buy the fixed version. That is assuming that your Mac Mini has an Intel processor, since Snow Leopard no longer runs on PPC.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Aug 2008, 6:25 am

"Snow Leopard" or 10.6 will have a lot more than bug fixes, it'll just mostly be under the hood. Lots of developer improvements like OpenCL and other parallel programming infrastructure have a lot of potential. And server types are drooling over full ZFS support.

Plus, I'm sure more features are coming (or else it hopefully won't cost as much as a full upgrade :) )