Page 9 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 1:28 am

gamefreak wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
All Windows OSes.

What I hate most about Mac and Linux fanboys is that they generalize every version of windows as a piece of crap.

Most Linux fans will run windows on at least one computer... I'm currently running Winxp, Win2k, Ubuntu 8.04, and the current release of Fedora (which is impossible to work with by the way)... In general, the people in the linux camp that are outright windows bashers are usually emotionally invested in the concept of Free Software (as Stallman defines "free"), don't game, or are so capable in Linux that they can actually get Wine to work without a hitch. Otherwise, any such Windows bashing is more about things that most Windows users bash Windows for: BSoDs, security issues, draconian anti-piracy measures, etc.

The macfans, on the other hand, are mostly irrational in their attacks on Windows (being solely based on the marketing lines fed to them by Apple). Any time I see a Mac crash, I have the insatiable urge to yell out "IT JUST WORKS!" (obviously in a sarcastic manner), just because of the brain damage I suffer from some (though not all) macfans parroting the advertising lines verbatim...

As for the OP, I guess the worst system ever would have to be a tie between Windows ME and Fedora 9 (which I can't get to work for the life of me... I'd just as much rather go back to 8...)

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 1:23 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
gamefreak wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
All Windows OSes.

What I hate most about Mac and Linux fanboys is that they generalize every version of windows as a piece of crap.

Most Linux fans will run windows on at least one computer... I'm currently running Winxp, Win2k, Ubuntu 8.04, and the current release of Fedora (which is impossible to work with by the way)... In general, the people in the linux camp that are outright windows bashers are usually emotionally invested in the concept of Free Software (as Stallman defines "free"), don't game, or are so capable in Linux that they can actually get Wine to work without a hitch. Otherwise, any such Windows bashing is more about things that most Windows users bash Windows for: BSoDs, security issues, draconian anti-piracy measures, etc.

The macfans, on the other hand, are mostly irrational in their attacks on Windows (being solely based on the marketing lines fed to them by Apple). Any time I see a Mac crash, I have the insatiable urge to yell out "IT JUST WORKS!" (obviously in a sarcastic manner), just because of the brain damage I suffer from some (though not all) macfans parroting the advertising lines verbatim...

As for the OP, I guess the worst system ever would have to be a tie between Windows ME and Fedora 9 (which I can't get to work for the life of me... I'd just as much rather go back to 8...)

The thing is about Linux Fanboys IN SOME CASES [Please don't excuse me of generalizing.] is that they just hate Windows and other proprietory pieces of software like Norton and Ms Office is because they have to pay for it. They believe in the liberal believes that the media gives them that all software shall be free. Just like the canadians and free healthcare. However the linux fanboys don't realize that if Microsoft didn't charge for software that the tech industry wouldn't be like it is today. They also don't like Microsofts stict anti-piracy measures as well as Symantecs and other proprietory software like FirstClass.

Example- When Bill Gates and Paul Allen released BASIC in 1975 most people had the believes that you pay for the hardware and steal the software. Bill Gates actually found out that the Homebrew Computer Club in San Francisco pirated a single copy of visual basic from somebody and mass produced pirated copies to all members he was pissed. This was back in 1976 when home computers were not mainstream yet. Microsoft made a smart move early to make anti-piracy measures like product keys and locks were the software will only work on that particular model computer.

Look at the revenue that Microsoft is bringing to the tech industry and America and tell Bill Gates he is stupid for charging for software he and his programmers worked years on. You won't get far because you are only one in a billion. The fact is Bill Gates is one of the greatest buisness men this country has ever seen. Microsoft could have been the big reason why there was an economic boom in the 1990's. [NOT BILL CLINTON AND THE DEMOCRATS FOR THE LIBERALS OUT THERE.] Microsoft has shaped the tech industry to the point that even average joes can use a computer and in fact even set up a computers. Even a dummie can set up a hardware driver or program in Windows.

I do like Linux and in fact I have worked on building drivers for Red Hat. I like the fact that the software is also free. However Unless linux programmers found ways to get more people in there communities and more programmers with experience linux isn't going to get far. That will only be if the linux communities have better ways to communicate with hardware vendors. Or make an agreement with vendors to have a CO-OP team working decisevely on linux drivers and incompatibilities. [Like ATI and the Ubuntu Community.]

Even if it means fundraising a bunch of money to start advertising linux and getting more programmers and workers working on linux. The thing is linux isn't going to get far if nobody knows about it. People have to know about the software and know that the software is easy to use and fits needs before using it.

-----Microsoft Fanboy Since 1981

Triangular_Trees
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 4:50 pm

There is a free version of Norton.

And updating it completely screwed up my computer a few years ago. Luckily I had a friend who knew how to fix it so I didn't ahve to pay for it. Ran one software update and then Norton blocked my computer from starting up unless it was in safe mode.

Quote:
Microsoft made a smart move early to make anti-piracy measures like product keys and locks were the software will only work on that particular model computer

I've been trying for just about 2 months to get software i legally purchased download. First the company ignored me, then when I threated to call the BBB they claimed my code was invalid. I had the place I purchased it from call them as prove I purchased it this year. So then they sent me something to do, which didn't work - and which must obviously be a very common error because they had a video about the step by step process for this, and it even ends with "its not rare to still get the invalid code error. If this happens to you...." Now it appears they are back to ignoring me

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt74894.html

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 5:50 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:

The thing that I think a lot of people don't understand (in particular, people who are not power-users when they switch to Macs), is that, like any computer, you have to upkeep a Mac as well. That means, making sure the disk doesn't get errors (if it means doing disk utility or being lazy and running fsck), repairing permissions upon occasion, dumping caches every so often, but especially making sure the computer gets to do its "cron" tasks (the maid isn't going to clean up if you lock her out by shutting down your computer before the time she's scheduled to arrive, particularly if these people have their computer off throughout the night.) I can easily take care of all of that crap (minus the fsck/disk utility part) using an app called IceClean. I do maintenance about once a month. My OS X hardly has any hiccups ever.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 6:12 pm

gamefreak wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
All Windows OSes.

You can go ahead and label me as a Mac fangirl. I've been using them since 1987. But there are things that have rightfully landed the Windows OSes in my personal "crap" category (Also note that Mac OS 9 makes this category too, because it's overall stability blows). I laugh at the things they have on default in Windows. If I wanted my OS to nag me about every thing available, I would've programmed my mother into it. When things pop up and nag me, I forget what I was doing. That can account for lost productivity, especially if I had an idea in mind that got interrupted with that crap.

If I wanted a variety of different keystrokes for one common action (like closing out of an app), or something to mean something different in every app, I would've chosen Windows. Apple has standards to where things are predictable, the same commands (quit, hide, save, open, save as, print, undo, redo, even preferences and help) are in all the same places in the same menus and have the same keyboard shortcuts across the apps (if they violate this, there's a good chance that those app developers will get yelled at and will get only one star for their mac software on places like macupdate and versiontracker, seriously no lie :lol:). Certain types of buttons open drawers in the side of the window, and you can expect the same buttons in the same certain places, And things are explained to where you will know what something does even long before you click on it. What does this mean? It means I can spend less time figuring out how this crap works, and more time actually learning how to do stuff in it by using it. That makes me by nature more productive under using the mac os x operating system. Hell, if I was even more lazy, I could record stuff to automate tasks for me and it wouldn't take any fuss whatsoever.

It's intuitive and fits my aspie mind well, unlike Windows who nags you like your NT mother but doesn't show you where to find things/how to do things to enhance your productivity, of course, aside from already making you forget your train of thought.

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2008, 6:36 pm

musicforanna wrote:
gamefreak wrote:
DeLoreanDude wrote:
All Windows OSes.

You can go ahead and label me as a Mac fangirl. I've been using them since 1987. But there are things that have rightfully landed the Windows OSes in my personal "crap" category (Also note that Mac OS 9 makes this category too, because it's overall stability blows). I laugh at the things they have on default in Windows. If I wanted my OS to nag me about every thing available, I would've programmed my mother into it. When things pop up and nag me, I forget what I was doing. That can account for lost productivity, especially if I had an idea in mind that got interrupted with that crap.

If I wanted a variety of different keystrokes for one common action (like closing out of an app), or something to mean something different in every app, I would've chosen Windows. Apple has standards to where things are predictable, the same commands (quit, hide, save, open, save as, print, undo, redo, even preferences and help) are in all the same places in the same menus and have the same keyboard shortcuts across the apps (if they violate this, there's a good chance that those app developers will get yelled at and will get only one star for their mac software on places like macupdate and versiontracker, seriously no lie :lol:). Certain types of buttons open drawers in the side of the window, and you can expect the same buttons in the same certain places, And things are explained to where you will know what something does even long before you click on it. What does this mean? It means I can spend less time figuring out how this crap works, and more time actually learning how to do stuff in it by using it. That makes me by nature more productive under using the mac os x operating system. Hell, if I was even more lazy, I could record stuff to automate tasks for me and it wouldn't take any fuss whatsoever.

It's intuitive and fits my aspie mind well, unlike Windows who nags you like your NT mother but doesn't show you where to find things/how to do things to enhance your productivity, of course, aside from already making you forget your train of thought.

You got a point there. However do you knew what to do if you get a kernel panic error. Also Windows can be predictable if you don't install programs on your computer that changes you're default settings. I also don't like that Macs only have 1- Button on the moise. That makes you less productive because you have to pull it commands like making new folders/ office documents and display properties via keyboard shortcuts. Also Windows only nages you if you been too lazy to put security updates on your computer. If you turn automatic updates on and get all the latest security updates it won't nag you.

Its also easier to slipstream windows to have all your favorite buttons where you need them. Increasing Productivity, However you do have a point when it comes to macs and graphic design and similar multimedia functions. Example- I added a calendar and a llong list of quick-lauch buttons on my Taskbar. If i want to go with the Mac interface I can put my taskbar on the top of the screen and have my buttons. You can also use skin changers on Windows to slipstream your computer like a Mac.

http://www.download.com/WindowBlinds/30 ... 26826.html

gamefreak
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 8:04 pm

Alright, the worst OS ever is XP Professional 64-Bit Edition. At least WinME was compatible with most software & hardware back in the day & will run alright on decent hardware & all windows updates.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 8:20 pm

Vista or Linux

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 8:21 pm

gamefreak wrote:
Alright, the worst OS ever is XP Professional 64-Bit Edition. At least WinME was compatible with most software & hardware back in the day & will run alright on decent hardware & all windows updates.

One of my biggest remaining gripes with MS Windows is that they're still using 32-bit OS's. You've said that Vista 64-bit is better, but there are still issues surrounding it compared to 32-bit. OSX has achieved perfect integration with supporting 32-bit software inside their 64-bit OS, and while it's a bit more of a struggle in Linux you can still get everything to work just fine in 64-bit Linux. Apple, interestingly enough, also pulled off the 13th Labor of Hercules that was switching from Mac OS9 to a BSD UNIX core in OSX while maintaining a really good level of interoperability between them. In retrospect, I'm amazed that they managed to pull that one off.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 8:23 pm

What's more surprising is that the PC world is still using the x86 architecture, which Intel tried to scrap 15 years ago. x86 isn't even RISC (it's CISC), and Apple dumped CISC in '94!

The only reason x86 is still around is because MS refuses to change (surprise).

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:10 pm

gramirez wrote:
What's more surprising is that the PC world is still using the x86 architecture, which Intel tried to scrap 15 years ago. x86 isn't even RISC (it's CISC), and Apple dumped CISC in '94!

Apple is using the same processors as everyone else now, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 9:17 pm

There are 2 64bit versions of Windows XP
Windows XP x64 Edition and Windows XP x64 Professional. The first being made for the Intel 64bit architecture and the latter being made for the AMD and adopted by Intel...

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2008, 10:09 pm

I think Windows ME wins for me, hands down.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 12:32 am

Orwell wrote:
gramirez wrote:

Apple is using the same processors as everyone else now, so I'm not sure what you're talking about here.
Ahh true. Though I was referring to PowerPC.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 1:09 am

gramirez wrote:
Ahh true. Though I was referring to PowerPC.

Whatever advantages PowerPC may have had, it's dead now. The next release of OS X (Snow Leopard) is Intel-only.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 4:50 am

Yeah. RISC was a nice idea, but a few things came along that stole its market share. Multi-core processors, 55nm grids, processors that ticked past a gigahertz or so...

So Intel held on to their market and the whole Moore's Law thing ticked on a few more cycles.

Back to the original topic: worst operating system ever... hard to recall. There was a realtime OS I worked with once on a PDP-8... it ran a sawmill, but every now and then would seize up and bring everything to a shuddering halt. Ever seen a 3m bandsaw come to a shuddering halt?