Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

What's your favorite monitor: CRT or LCD?
CRT 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
CRT 19%  19%  [ 19 ]
LCD 31%  31%  [ 31 ]
LCD 31%  31%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 100

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 11:48 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
When I was in grad school, I went out and bought a 32" LCD HDTV on Black Friday for my computer screen (desktop). It was wonderful for working on my dissertation, setting across the room on my couch while typing it. I had thought of upgrading to a 60" LCD HDTV, but I am not as impressed with the durability compared to the older ones (I will keep what I have for now). Plus, I found two 32" LCD HDTVs that were thrown away by college kids last year ( :x we are a wasteful society). I rescued both of them and they work fine (one is missing the remote, but not a problem as a spare computer screen). I need to see if I can split the computer screen between the three of them...

As for the future, OLEDs are good, but there is something much, much better on the horizon. You only need to dig a bit into the scientific research articles to see what it will become (think OLED paints for your house). That would mean that you could literally change the inside of your room into different TV screens. Or even the outside of your house/car. The key is getting the electronics to work in tandem with the paint, but I do think it will be a doable idea. I am working on an research idea that is one/two step(s) ahead of that idea, so that when OLED paint comes to market...

It would be really great if we could do murals covering an entire wall and change at will.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2015, 4:15 am

I'm surprised that this thread got dredged up from over 9 years ago.

Also, FWIW, I'm posting this from my desktop system with a small 35" LED flatpanel display.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2015, 1:41 pm

CRT monitors give off a high-pitch, low-volume whine that I can hear. It drives me nuts.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 3:54 am

LOL. LCDs. CRTs are dead. Why would someone revive an ancient thread like this? :?: :skull: :?:

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2015, 7:13 am

I believe CRTs have a certain value quality-wise, but with the improvement in LCD/LED TV technology, I don't see a contest that puts CRTs well ahead of the competition.

Snow_
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2015, 7:59 am

(Don't have enough space )

LCD.

LilZebra
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2015, 8:01 pm

The question isn't specific enough, if you're inquiring about television or computers.

Perhaps Gen Y thinks that the two have combined.

For television watching I still prefer a CRT...a 27" would be best.

For computing work I prefer LCD because they run cooler and are easier to transport.

For televsion viewing I prefer a 4:3 (square) screen.

For computing I prefer a widescreen display, which is good for viewing documents (PDFs, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 4:37 pm

steve30 wrote:
I'd say modern LCDs have easily surpassed CRTs in general, though a good quality CRT monitor is still very good, and very usable.

No, they have not surpassed them; the display time is near non-existent and only ips monitors even come close to the contrast and color depth of CRTs but their display time are not as good as NT monitors. The main adavantage of LCDs is the picture stability, which is the reason some them comfortable to watch.

LupaLuna wrote:
I have to say that I am torn between CRT and LCD. I like CRT for it contrast, and most importantly, it color vibrance. The colors are sooo much prettier on a CRT, especially when watching cartoons. Unfortunately, CRT have a nasty flicker problem to them, even at 120Hz, the flicker just gives me headaches.

Next time you buy a monitor, seek a ips one.

MindOfOrderedChaos wrote:
Yeah CRT's are cheap. I can pick up a 17 inch CRT for $20 in New Zealand. But I can't get a 17inch LCD for $300.
Honestly with that kinda price difference I would rather have my money than a little bit of extra desk space on a desk I only use for my computer any way.

Even with inflation (This is a 2005 post.) this is much cheaper that the LCDs of today. :(

Pete1051 wrote:
But until OLEDs become more affordable I'm staying with CRTs. We'll start seeing OLED monitors within the next 5 years. They will make an LCD look thick and clunky. kodak has prototypes 1/8" thick, with color quality rivaling that of CRTs. By 2015 we'll be sticking roll up screens in our pockets.

Pete

Turn out that 2005 post was too optimistic. Which is too bad.

OLEDs have the problem of a short lifespan, quantum dots could eventually work with the OLEDs advantages while still having a longer lifespan. Of course it could mean that monitors manufacturers may prefer to push for OLEDs.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 9:29 pm

LCD due to the fact they are light weight energy efferent and offers a decent picture where as CRT's to get a decent size screen one would have to break his back trying to lift the thing I have yet to see any CRT's offer HD resolution or is ATSC compatible and the biggest thing with CRT/LCD is LCD is practically immune to burn in from still framed or lower third graphics

I'm holding off on mentioning OLEDS the ones I see on display at local stores tend to burn out fast or otherwise have a bad/faulty panel

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 10:38 pm

eric76 wrote:
I idly considered getting an LCD screen the other day, but my monitors are currently all CRT. One of them is an old fashioned VT-100 compatible terminal.

The LCD I considered was a used 52 inch diagonal.

I have to ask, what do you hook the terminal up to...and why? And how??? I honestly haven't seen one since I last used an Alpha Micro in the late 1990's - and even then it was considered ancient technology.

Last edited by Edenthiel on 02 Sep 2015, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 10:45 pm

Tollorin wrote:
Pete1051 wrote:
By 2015 we'll be sticking roll up screens in our pockets.Pete

Turn out that 2005 post was too optimistic. Which is too bad.

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite ... ature.html

Not roll up screens; projected screens. Far more convenient. :wink:

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2015, 10:55 pm

I miss our old CRT TV... :(
Nothing against LCD except maybe the LED can apparently make you blind http://www.thinkspain.com/news-spain/22 ... vestigator
Playing old video games on an LCD just isn't the same.