Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 9:15 am

n4mwd wrote:
One of the concerns I have is the Solid State Drive. How does it work? The typical Flash drive has a limited number of times it can be written to and then it dies. How did they overcome that limitation or did they?

The typical read/write limits of a average SSD are not greater than the life expectancy of the computer itself.

That being said, the SSDs are not energy efficient after all, as they have only a singluar state: on. The mechanical disks spin down. I forget where I saw the test though.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 1:39 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
n4mwd wrote:
One of the concerns I have is the Solid State Drive. How does it work? The typical Flash drive has a limited number of times it can be written to and then it dies. How did they overcome that limitation or did they?

The typical read/write limits of a average SSD are not greater than the life expectancy of the computer itself.

That being said, the SSDs are not energy efficient after all, as they have only a singluar state: on. The mechanical disks spin down. I forget where I saw the test though.

That sounds scary. So you are saying that this thing will be useless in a year or two?

I am told that the SSD drives in the asus are considerably faster than a typical flash drive. Hopefully the technology also applies to the number of writes as well. Its sad if what you say is true about the power management being substandard.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 4:02 pm

No I think you took that the opposite way.

from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240282-28-excited

Quote:
Flash wear out is not a concern with SSD's. Someone at StorageSearch.com crunched the numbers and determined that a 160GB SSD drive with an 80MB/s throughput run at 100% write utilization would take 51 years exhaust the write limit of the flash memory. That's a brutal worst-case scenario. In real life, reads and writes average about 3:1, which means the predicted failure will take over 80 years.

so I looked it up at storageseach.com. This is what I found.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2008, 4:18 pm

To date, the limited write cycles of SSDs are still present. The Japanese are developing SSDs with a significantly higher number of write cycles, but these are not available to consumers yet.

As for the power efficiency tests that stated that SSDs were not more power efficient, those tests were later found to be false under normal working conditions. However the increase in power efficiency is not enough to justify buying SSDs for now at their price compared to hard drives imo.

wolphin
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Sep 2008, 11:30 pm

back to the laptop, that looks pretty awesome. :)

how far can you bend the screen back? can it go all the way horizontal/parallel with the keyboard?

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 2:59 am

wolphin wrote:
back to the laptop, that looks pretty awesome. :)

how far can you bend the screen back? can it go all the way horizontal/parallel with the keyboard?

On the EEE? Yes.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2008, 3:01 am

I goes about 160 not quite the 180

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:19 pm

I hate you "mr bogan", if that's your real name :evil:

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 10:45 pm

computerlove wrote:
I hate you "mr bogan", if that's your real name :evil:

You should take your revenge by building a itx nano computer. I'm going to. Maybe not that one.. one with sata2

http://www.mini-itx.com/2007/05/16/inte ... ktop-board

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 12:08 am

Thx Fuzzy! Of course I'll take revenge against this "mr bogan" person! :evil:

have you tried one of those minis?

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 3:38 am

computerlove wrote:

No I havent. Perhaps next payday. Aren't they just the neatest little things?

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 7:25 am

computerlove wrote:

:cry:

Well at least I've got my asus eee :o

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 7:52 am

MR_BOGAN wrote:
computerlove wrote:

:cry:

Well at least I've got my asus eee :o

:)

Maybe I should make a club for cute little computers?

But you are the only one that has one yet!

At least until computerlove steals it.

:lol:

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 8:19 am

yes we need to keep the club a secret from the mexican ninjas, hopefully computerlove doesn't read this.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 10:06 am

WAHT?! :twisted:

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2008, 10:17 am

Fuzzy wrote:
No I think you took that the opposite way.

from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240282-28-excited
Quote:
Flash wear out is not a concern with SSD's. Someone at StorageSearch.com crunched the numbers and determined that a 160GB SSD drive with an 80MB/s throughput run at 100% write utilization would take 51 years exhaust the write limit of the flash memory. That's a brutal worst-case scenario. In real life, reads and writes average about 3:1, which means the predicted failure will take over 80 years.

so I looked it up at storageseach.com. This is what I found.

http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Don't believe it. They are using spin calculations. As in, they are spinning truth out of lies.

What they are saying is if you write values to every location in an entire drive, then it will take 51 years before flash burnout. This creates the illusion that the drive will last that long. Notice how they use the size of the drive in the calculation. The size of the drive is irrelevant. It only takes one bad flash location to ruin the entire drive.

For example, suppose you have a clock application that saves the current time to a file on the disk every second. This means one write every second. Since the flash devices burn out after 2 million writes to a memory CELL - not 2 million writes to the entire drive - the burnout can be calculated as follows:

2M / 86400 = 23 days. Where 86400 is the number of seconds in a day.

Modern operating systems generally use a lot of paged memory (swap partition or swap file). The eee surf doesn't seem to use that, but most linuxes do and so does XP. This virtual memory swapping does a lot of disk writing.

What that means is that the ssd would probably fail if used as a server without an external hdd.

With that said, I got mine and it seems to run fine for now. Its underclocked and I need to figure out how to set it back to its 900 mhz advertised rate. It came with instructions on how to get it to run with XP. Unfortunately, the driver CD for XP was in spanish so I have to call the company and get an English one.