Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

SPCDavid
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2008, 12:30 pm

Out of all the possible colonies, venus might be one of the more promising. I know what most of you are thinking about venus and it's surface, but I'm talking about Venus' atmosphere which mimics earth's surface pressure and temperature. And it's lower atmospheree is so thick that flotation/aviation would require less effort.

A colony would be a great haven for people with AS, i know it sounds a little sci-fi but ,hey, it's something to dream about.

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2008, 2:09 pm

I would go with mars. Venus, as earth, will be engulfed by the sun when it will expand into a red giant, at the end of his life, in 5 billions years or so....

SPCDavid
Raven
Raven

15 Sep 2008, 2:49 pm

We'd have found a different system by then (or died in the process)

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2008, 5:18 pm

we still have time to do something on Venus in the while .... i saw an article not long ago about floating cities, let me find the reference..... here:

http://www.space.com/businesstechnology ... -city.html

the city would float at 31 miles from the ground

Quote:
"At that altitude, the atmosphere of Venus is at its most Earth-like. The atmosphere has an air pressure of about one bar and the temperature ranges in the 32-122 degrees Fahrenheit range (0-50 degrees Celsius). You'd need breathing apparatus, but probably not a space suit."

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 5:48 pm

Techno Viking would instal large scale, ultra thin, carbon solor blockers limiting the heat the planet Venus recieves thus lowing its temperture. Technoviking would then add, atmospheric extractors, that use boallons to stay alowt in the dense atmosphere, convertying co2 to c, and o3, to make ozone, As the atomosphere becomes less dense the extracters would sink lower into the atmosphere, and switch over to convertiong co2 to c and ot, thus making a oxygenated atmosphere with less greenhouse capabilities, till it no longers requires the solor blockers to remain cool. Once their task is complete Teck No Viking then will use them at Mars as solor relfectors to heat the planet up, melting the caps, and createingan atnmosphere rich in water vopr wch will then act as green hous gasses to help warm the plent up.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 2:17 pm

I think the problem with Venus is the same as the problem with Mars. The magnetosphere is not nearly strong enough to offer the protection needed for a stable habitable atmosphere.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:09 am

coyote wrote:
I would go with mars. Venus, as earth, will be engulfed by the sun when it will expand into a red giant, at the end of his life, in 5 billions years or so....

So what? Our species will not be around that long.

ruveyn

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:29 am

coyote wrote:

Yah and thats such a short time to have a colony

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:31 am

1. Put in orbit mylar reflectors so it doesnt get sunlight to cool it down.
2. convert co2 to o2 and o3
3 with the lack of sunlight and dinmiasshing greenhouse gasses temperture plumets
4 any water in the atmoshere can nor form rain, further cooling it.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:40 am

coyote wrote:

Actually thats now debatable..Earth may just miss it

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:42 am

ruveyn wrote:
coyote wrote:

So what? Our species will not be around that long.

ruveyn

Nope not with that atitude

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 11:17 pm

I remember they had some plans for blue or green algae...

btw - my Avatar is a picture I did on another site, titled 'Life on Venus, the 1st half-second'..;)
Sort of shows you what a human body would do under the heat, wind, acid, etc.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 11:53 pm

The Venerian atmosphere consists largely of sulfur and sulfuric acid. Even high in the atmosphere, you'll encounter unpleasant temperatures, given that the planet rotates a) "backwards" (so the sun rises in the west and sets in the east), and b) slowly, such that a local day is longer than a local year. And let's not forget the windspeeds that this situation gives rise to...

Overall, I think I'd rather just turn a few of the larger asteroids into spacegoing habitats. It's a lot easier, and once you've ballooned one up, you just need to mine water ice (from asteroids or the rings of Saturn) and run current through it to extract oxygen to fill the inside.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 1:49 am

DeaconBlues wrote:
The Venerian atmosphere consists largely of sulfur and sulfuric acid. Even high in the atmosphere, you'll encounter unpleasant temperatures, given that the planet rotates a) "backwards" (so the sun rises in the west and sets in the east), and b) slowly, such that a local day is longer than a local year. And let's not forget the windspeeds that this situation gives rise to...

Overall, I think I'd rather just turn a few of the larger asteroids into spacegoing habitats. It's a lot easier, and once you've ballooned one up, you just need to mine water ice (from asteroids or the rings of Saturn) and run current through it to extract oxygen to fill the inside.

Well if we drop the tempature and make it wetter we can add organisms that thrive in the stuff to clear it up

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 11:27 am

Eggman wrote:

Well if we drop the tempature and make it wetter we can add organisms that thrive in the stuff to clear it up

With what shall we wet the Venusian atmosphere?

ruveyn

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 3:16 pm

atmaspehric water has been detected It is beived to used to have oceans, and it caold all still be up in the atmosphere