Page 1 of 9 [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

patrick6
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:31 am

What is it that gives people a consciousness? (I've never understood this. What is it that allows ME to control this body of mine? Sure, everything is 'wired' in a certain way, but where does the consciousness come from? Do you think that robots will ever be capable of acquiring a conscious?)

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 11:59 am

We don't know. We don't know what causes consciousness, where it comes from or where it goes. That's where faith comes in.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:11 pm

Something metaphysical

And no, only 'weak' AI is possible, but don't underestimate its potential for a minute

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

I believe that "something metaphysical" to be the soul, the breath of life given to Adam by God. I believe that very strongly. When the body dies, where does the soul go? Does it go directlly to the afterlife or does it "sleep in the earth" waiting for Judgement Day like all the others?

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2008, 1:08 pm

Not science, move this to the philosophy section.

Also, consciousness is obviously a product of the brain. Not even the obvious fact that we think with the brain can deter philosophers, however, as they attempt to explain anything we don't know about, even if it's stupid.

Daran
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 1:31 pm

patrick6 wrote:
What is it that gives people a consciousness? (I've never understood this. What is it that allows ME to control this body of mine? Sure, everything is 'wired' in a certain way, but where does the consciousness come from? Do you think that robots will ever be capable of acquiring a conscious?)

Consciousness is in everything and not just in people, only it is more expressed and more visible in higher beings such as human beings. It is not just YOU who controls your body, well perhaps not consciously. Even when in a coma or in deep sleep, the body functions well without your consious control.
Even non-living things have some kind of consciousness, but theirs has no independent "I-consciousness" so the fear of robots taking over is irrational.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2008, 1:47 pm

I just ate an apple and now I feel terrible.

I'm also torturing the keyboard.

chever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 2:16 pm

Drakilor wrote:

Also, consciousness is obviously a product of the brain. Not even the obvious fact that we think with the brain can deter philosophers, however, as they attempt to explain anything we don't know about, even if it's stupid.

The brain itself is a wagon without a horse.

(The wagon is clearly useful, but doesn't go anywhere without the horse.)

Daran wrote:
Even non-living things have some kind of consciousness, but theirs has no independent "I-consciousness" so the fear of robots taking over is irrational.

They can definitely emulate self-interest very well.

Ever play Battle for Wesnoth?

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 2:31 pm

Daran wrote:
...Even non-living things have some kind of consciousness, but theirs has no independent "I-consciousness" so the fear of robots taking over is irrational.

I actually disagree with this in many ways.
  1. I challenge you to give any definition of what constitutes living wersus non-living things.
  2. Define "consciousness" while you're there. I think you may well go circular.
  3. The "I-consciousness" game seems also blurry, to me. I'm sure I've met people with less of that than some computers. (My slightly pathetic attempt at a joke.)
  4. The "fear of robots taking over" is perfectly rational, as that is exactly what will be happening. That is, from the perception of some people. Personally, I can't wait for them to take over. And, in point of fact, it will be me taking over, via enhancement or copying or whatever really happens.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2008, 2:34 pm

chever wrote:
Drakilor wrote:

The brain itself is a wagon without a horse.

(The wagon is clearly useful, but doesn't go anywhere without the horse.)

I love metaphors; they allow me to easily make pseudo-substantial points in any argument.

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 3:27 pm

consciousness is one of those definitions that is always right, as there is no agreed or accepted definition.
so my definition may be accurate and precise and different to yours, but it is one of the few definitions in the english language that can have a ubiquitous meaning and no answer in wrong.

it is one of those ( classic) philosophy 101 questions to generate discussion in a room full of strangers.

define consciousness you ask?

if you have to ask no explanation is possible, if you dont have to ask then no explanation is necessary.
however it exists whether you have to ask about it or not.

im sure , in this forum thou, somone will punch a hole in that definition.

differentiate between living and non living thing?

living things have life.

again im sure this will be diluted in a short time space.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 4:58 pm

I personally think that consciousness is most likely entirely encoded in the brain, no metaphysical explanations needed.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

chever
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:33 pm

Drakilor wrote:
I love metaphors; they allow me to easily make pseudo-substantial points in any argument.

Briefly, explain how a state of consciousness arises strictly from electrical and chemical activity.

Your snipe:

Quote:
I just ate an apple and now I feel terrible.

I'm also torturing the keyboard.

cuts both ways: maybe your thermostat should be entitled to sue you for uncompensated labor.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 5:51 pm

chever wrote:
Briefly, explain how a state of consciousness arises strictly from electrical and chemical activity.

Briefly, explain how a state of consciousness does not arise strictly from electrical and chemical activity.

Drakilor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Sep 2008, 7:53 pm

chever wrote:
Drakilor wrote:

Don't be ridiculous; I obviously don't know. Do I need to fill a gap by babbling about souls and ghosts that rely on a lot more presumptions that "it just happens" does?

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 8:01 pm

lau wrote:
chever wrote:

Briefly, explain how a state of consciousness does not arise strictly from electrical and chemical activity.

p-zombies!

teh 1337 skillz!