Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2008, 4:05 am

Since I was 13, I wanted to be younger. (Mom just reminded me the other day that I started desiring this when I was 13. I told her that I guess it had something to do with having a paraprofessional follow me around at my school much of the time that year.)

I hope (and kinda believe) that age-reversal booths may come by the 2020s. I doubt they'll change your height at first, but will change how old you look. (I met a 12-year-old who was my height, so I'll bet 12 is the best I can do.)

My life is already difficult in college, so I have reason to believe it'll only get More difficult after. (At this point, I'm uncertain whether I'll even graduate.)

I don't know whether I'll even have a home by then. Anyway, I get to the booth, pay a fee, and walk out a 12-year-old boy. Then hopefully my 2nd adolescence will be the best years of my life.

I'll bet a billboard ad may go like,

Quote:
Feeling too old?
Want to be 12 again?

Visit an Age-Reversal Booth that will premiere in 15 major cities nationwide or buy your own from (URL).

Even senior citizens can get this huge new lease on life! Coming Summer 2024.

(Warning: An ARB will not change your height.)

Now some questions

--- 1. When this technology comes, will the governments make laws to regulate it? Why and what laws?

--- 2. How would society like the idea of kids running their own households?

--- 3. Would these people who became adolescents again be able to enroll in schools again?

--- 4. What are you afraid of with this technology?

--- 5. What age(s) would you want to reverse down to if a booth like this came near you?

--- 6. If an adult found out that the kid they've been dealing with is actually a de-aged adult, how may they react?

--- 7. Will this new revolution in rejuvenation cause suicide rates to plummet?

--- 8. Will the users' driver's licenses remain valid after de-aging?

(Wow, this sounds like such an exciting prospect! I would get to be any age I want within reasonable height bounds and keep enjoying what I couldn't enjoy anymore after I got too old.)

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 7:50 am

When I was young, I wanted to be older. Even at this point I feel a little young to be successful. That'll probably change by the time I hit 30, but for now I feel like people look down on me due to my age...

If de-aging technology existed, however, it would probably only work on adults and only backwards to the point of reaching adulthood. Why anyone would want to be a destructive child anyway is beyond me...

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Dec 2008, 8:30 am

Why "destructive" child, Toad?

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 8:34 am

Because children are inherently destructive?

I was destructive as a child, and nearly all the other kids when I went to elementary school were destructive in nature...

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 8:51 am

That would be a pedophiles dream That would be screwed up

lau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 9:24 am

I'm unclear what you think "age-reversal" would mean.

Merely making cosmetic changes to your body wouldn't "de-mature" you, so when it becomes popular, it will become normal to establish a person's age by means other than what they look like (today). E.g. you will ask them, and maybe believe what they say, same as is the case here, on WP.

I don't see why there should be any restriction on your choice of body mass. Why should you not be taller, shorter, fatter, thinner, however you wish?

If your "age reversal" is meant as a total regression to childhood, with its inherent loss of the mature person, I would say that the booths need to be renamed, as suicide booths.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 9:35 am

To answer EgaoNoGenki's points:

1. When this technology comes, will the governments make laws to regulate it? Why and what laws?
    What governments?
  2. How would society like the idea of kids running their own households?
    If the process destroys brain function, they are kids, so can't.
  3. Would these people who became adolescents again be able to enroll in schools again?
    If the process destroys brain function, they will need to.
  4. What are you afraid of with this technology?
    Nothing.
  5. What age(s) would you want to reverse down to if a booth like this came near you?
    Three thousand.
  6. If an adult found out that the kid they've been dealing with is actually a de-aged adult, how may they react?
    By feeling stupid?
  7. Will this new revolution in rejuvenation cause suicide rates to plummet?
    No.
  8. Will the users' driver's licenses remain valid after de-aging?
    If the process destroys brain function, no.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2008, 1:29 pm

There is a snag as this kind of 'technology' may violate the second law of thermodynamics in which things always grow older and never younger. It would be good as then I would be able to have a second childhood and have the opportunities that I never had in the 1970s and no place in the rotten special needs system. If I had access to such hypothetical technology then I would have a flexible brain to build on what I have already learned by myself. As I have pointed out this may violate the laws of science as this would remove the mistakes that people accumulate in their DNA such as the wrong base pair occurring where It should not be or the wrong base. This would be a reversal of chemical and biological reactions which is why I am quite pessimistic about the idea. If science does say it can be done then it woulld be a good thing for some people.

Compiku
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Dec 2008, 12:16 pm

Are we talking about simply changing one's appearance to look younger, or to actually reverse the aging process, making one physically younger? If it's the former, it wouldn't really change much, because you'd only look younger. I imagine that such technology would mainly be used by middle-aged adults who want to look 21 again.

I think what you're talking about is a machine that somehow makes you physically younger, but retains your mature mind. (If that's the case, I don't see why your height would be fixed...you'd just "ungrow".) But that technology would create all sorts of other issues? If, for instance, you found a kid wandering the mall, how would you tell if he was an adult on his own or an actual kid who's lost? And there are issues such as marriage...if a married man becomes a child, can he still be married to an adult? Can two former adults get married if they are now children?

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 5:11 pm

Aspiewordsmith wrote:
There is a snag as this kind of 'technology' may violate the second law of thermodynamics in which things always grow older and never younger.

Well to be more precise the second law stipulates that all systems must decay and eventually fail but it doesn't preclude intervention to reverse or eliminate its effects (restoring something to its original state before decay began).

Think of a mechanical clock. Over time the gears will wear the springs will get weak and it will eventually stop working. A skilled clockmaker can fabricate new gears and springs to replace the bad ones as they begin to fail and in theory so long as materials and someone to reverse the effects will always be available the clock will work forever.

The machine the original poster is talking about would only reverse the effects of decay not negate the decay process.

Don't do anything at all
-----------
"White Rabbit" - Jefferson Airplane

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 6:12 pm

Cute idea ... still in the fantasy stage, though ... :(

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2008, 6:29 pm

EgaoNoGenki wrote:
SI don't know whether I'll even have a home by then. Anyway, I get to the booth, pay a fee, and walk out a 12-year-old boy. Then hopefully my 2nd adolescence will be the best years of my life.

And who's going to take care of this permanent adolescent? Most sane people would rather not raise an adolescent once, to do so indefinitely with no end in sight would be a fool's errand.

Quote:
--- 1. When this technology comes, will the governments make laws to regulate it? Why and what laws?

Such technology will never exist. Ever. There are so many reasons why it could never be even remotely plausible. If we suspend reality to assume that it could exist, many governments would likely ban it, or put stringent restrictions and heavy taxes on it.

Quote:
--- 2. How would society like the idea of kids running their own households?

Are you assuming this thing actually makes you less mature mentally/emotionally, or does it just change your physical appearance?

Quote:
--- 3. Would these people who became adolescents again be able to enroll in schools again?

I doubt it. Schools don't want any more hassle to deal with.

Quote:
--- 4. What are you afraid of with this technology?

Primarily that it's just stupid. It shows an unwillingness to accept reality and mortality.

Quote:
--- 5. What age(s) would you want to reverse down to if a booth like this came near you?

I will be whatever age I am naturally, and eventually I will die.

Quote:
--- 6. If an adult found out that the kid they've been dealing with is actually a de-aged adult, how may they react?

Dunno about other adults, but I'd give the freak a good solid kick in the head.

Quote:
--- 7. Will this new revolution in rejuvenation cause suicide rates to plummet?

Not a chance in hell. If anything, suicide rates will increase.

Quote:
--- 8. Will the users' driver's licenses remain valid after de-aging?

Depends on more specific details that you did not provide.

Quote:
(Wow, this sounds like such an exciting prospect! I would get to be any age I want within reasonable height bounds and keep enjoying what I couldn't enjoy anymore after I got too old.)

Reality doesn't work like that. You're getting older, accept it. Enjoy what time you have left in your youthful years. You seem to have an unhealthy obsession with aging, and I suggest you seek professional counseling to help you sort through these issues.

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 11:20 am

EgaoNoGenki wrote:

There's no such thing as too old really (short of being physically unable to do an activity like run or jump). I'm 30 and I still watch cartoons, play with toys (with my grandchildren.. long story) and play video games and I intend to keep doing those things until the day they're pried from my cold dead hands.

Don't do anything at all
-----------

lau
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:21 pm

Fraya wrote:
EgaoNoGenki wrote:

There's no such thing as too old really (short of being physically unable to do an activity like run or jump). I'm 30 and I still watch cartoons, play with toys (with my grandchildren.. long story) and play video games and I intend to keep doing those things until the day they're pried from my cold dead hands.

You let your grandchildren play with your toys?!

If I had grandchildren, I certainly wouldn't let them near my toys.

:)

Fraya
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2008, 6:23 pm

lau wrote:
Fraya wrote:
EgaoNoGenki wrote:

You let your grandchildren play with your toys?!

If I had grandchildren, I certainly wouldn't let them near my toys.

:)

No I play with theirs.. my toys are off limits :)

Don't do anything at all
-----------

EgaoNoGenki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 9:28 pm

Orwell wrote:
Such technology will never exist. Ever. There are so many reasons why it could never be even remotely plausible. If we suspend reality to assume that it could exist, many governments would likely ban it, or put stringent restrictions and heavy taxes on it.

If you lived in 1858:

* You'd believe that no human would ever take to the skies in powered heavier-than-air machines.

* You'd believe that the human voice and conversation would never be carried to and heard in real-time on the other side of the world.

* You'd believe that a written letter would never be sent to the other side of the world in mere seconds. (Typed, usually, but written letters can run through a scanner first.)

*You'd believe that going a hair over 50 MPH would cause people to asphyxiate from being unable to breathe the air that moves by them too fast for their mouths to catch.

If you lived in 1948:

You'd believe 1984 would be like "1984," just as Mr. Orwell believed, Mr. Orwell.

If you lived in 1958:

* You'd believe that homosexuals would NEVER be accepted in society.

If you lived in 1978:

* You'd believe that "640k ought to be enough for anybody!" (actually 1981, but 1978 for the sake of numerical yearly symmetry.)

Quote:
Are you assuming this thing actually makes you less mature mentally/emotionally, or does it just change your physical appearance?

Just our physical appearance. Why would we want to regress mentally and emotionally? I'd want to take advantage of the easier school assignments so I'd go to advanced-placement classes, get enough scholarships for a free ride through college, and have a whole LOT more going for me, much like how a whole lot goes for gifted students in their lives.

Quote:
Dunno about other adults, but I'd give the freak a good solid kick in the head.

Too many people want to go back to an earlier age and correct the mistakes they made the first time, improve on what and however they did the first time, and everything to make the second life better than their first. You'd have too many new kids to kick.

So what makes you say that? Why would you want to? And to harm a child carries a stronger societal stigma on you, even if the child was once an adult.

Last edited by EgaoNoGenki on 04 Dec 2008, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.