Manatees and Dugongs 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Octopuses 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 18

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 1:01 am

lau wrote:
Of course, depending on what you mean by "smartest", if the criterion is measured in any of the following ways:
  • Most numerous.
  • Most habitats.
  • Most variants.
  • Largest percentage of the mass of the Earth.
  • Fastest evolving.
  • Longest period of existence.
  • Longest lived.
  • Fastest to reproduce.
  • Most adaptable.
  • Etc.
... the the answer is "bacteria".

Not all of those. Most habitats would probably go to Archaea. Longest lived might also be Archaea. Fastest to reproduce, fastest evolving, and most adaptable are definitely viruses.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 7:52 am

Very true, Orwell. I was making the point that most people have a rather limited view of what "animal" means... and also don't have a clear idea of what "smart" might be.

I omitted another measure: "Most likely to still be around, not only in a few billion years, when Earth gets fried by the sun, but way beyond that."

b9
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 8:21 am

i think that "smart" means "intelligent" and i think "intelligent" means "able to solve problems".
i do not equate "sociality" or "friendliness" with "smartness".

so there are 2 animals i am intrigued by. they are octopus's and crows.

i saw a program where a hungry octopus was presented with a completely sealed jar with a prawn inside it.
the octopus could not smell the prawn, so it identified the prawn from memory as something that tastes nice.
then the octopus explored the jar and he seemed to look carefully at the jar without touching it much.
after a while he wrapped his tentacles around the lid and unscrewed it in the right direction and got the prawn.
he must have worked out with intelligence how to get the prawn.

also, their eyes are very similar in design to human eyes and they see much the same way we do. it is weird to think of an animal like an octopus having as clear a view of the world as me.

then there are crows. they are extremely smart. maybe more so than octopuses.
they use tools.
i saw a show where a crow wanted to get a grub from inside a knot hole in a tree that had fallen down.
the crow went and found a stick, and then chewed the end of the stick with his beak so it frayed and looked a bit like a brush.
then he carefully held his tool in his beak and lowered it into the hole and "brushed" the face of the grub with it. the grub got mad, and eventually bit the brush and held on.
the crow then pulled the stick out with the grub attached and dined happily.
he then did it again and again.
he fashioned a tool with abstract thinking that worked very well.

another more impressive thing i saw was where a crow was presented with a piece of meat that was dangling from a string.

the meat was too far from the ground for the crow to reach if he landed on the ground, so the crow had to get the meat that was dangling by a cord while he was on a perch that the cord dangled from.

but there were about 50 cords dangling from the perch, and they were all strung through rings and guiders that made it hard to see where each string originated from.
it was like a macrame puzzle where you had to trace with your eye, every string through all it's twists and re-routings through rings and guides to see what string should be pulled in order to lift the meat up to be retrieved.

the crow stood on the perch and looked carefully at the strings, and his first choice of string to pull up was the correct one.

i was astounded.

Puppet
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2008, 11:59 am

There are so many answers to your question that I don`t even know where to start.

Depends on how you define smart, and what you`re comparing.

In average, I think apes are the smartest.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:15 pm

lau wrote:
Very true, Orwell. I was making the point that most people have a rather limited view of what "animal" means... and also don't have a clear idea of what "smart" might be.

I omitted another measure: "Most likely to still be around, not only in a few billion years, when Earth gets fried by the sun, but way beyond that."

OK, but bacteria aren't animals. Not even in the same domain of life.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:33 pm

Orwell wrote:
lau wrote:

OK, but bacteria aren't animals. Not even in the same domain of life.

OED wrote:
1. a. A living being; a member of the higher of the two series of organized beings, of which the typical forms are endowed with life, sensation, and voluntary motion, but of which the lowest forms are hardly distinguishable from the lowest vegetable forms by any more certain marks than their evident relationship to other animal forms, and thus to the animal series as a whole rather than to the vegetable series.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:39 pm

The usage of the word "animal" as restricted purely to a member of the kingdom animalia has not reached the Oxford English Dictionary yet.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:55 pm

lau wrote:
The usage of the word "animal" as restricted purely to a member of the kingdom animalia has not reached the Oxford English Dictionary yet.

Then the OED is wrong. I mean, did you read the definition you posted? It refers to "animal series" and "vegetable series"... an extremely primitive (and grossly inaccurate) classification scheme. A bacteria, protist, fungus, or archaea is not an animal. Certainly plants are more closer related to animals than any of the prokaryotes.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 12:57 pm

lau wrote:

Easily archaea.

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2008, 7:22 pm

Orwell wrote:
Well, humans are the third smartest species on Earth, while dolphins are the second smartest.

I was hoping someone would bring that up, and I was disappointed that mice weren't on the poll.

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Dec 2008, 9:40 pm

humans, we, though most dont like to think it, are animals

FireFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Dec 2008, 8:06 pm

Why is there no option for "other"?

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 8:17 pm

The Borg

lau
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 8:34 pm

Cheesecake.

(I'm not at all sure why I said that.)

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 9:33 pm

Good to know that somebody else appreciates those amazing archaea.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2008, 9:43 pm

CanyonWind wrote:
Good to know that somebody else appreciates those amazing archaea.

They always get short shrift, and we still don't know enough about them. It's a shame, because they're really cool little things.