Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

drowbot0181
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2008, 9:01 am

This is from a month ago, but I still wanted to share because it is very excited, if you like astronomy:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=96949608
Being able to capture light from these planets opens up a lot of new possibilities. I can't wait until we can do this for more Earth-sized planets.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2008, 11:02 pm

Yeah, it's mainly that the 'habitable orbit zone' is so close to the star, and the planets would have to be of a certain size, that picking them up is too difficult at present. I think they found one planet that was 'super-Jupiter' sized, but was able to have liquid (almost boiling) water on it.

DarthMaxeuis
Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2008, 4:37 am

Great one.
They also found extrasolar planets with unknown configuration, like solid planets that are 2 times bigger than Jupiter.
And even one planet is revolving around two stars. They called it Tatooine (I guess you know why :wink: )

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2008, 7:00 pm

pakled wrote:
Yeah, it's mainly that the 'habitable orbit zone' is so close to the star, and the planets would have to be of a certain size, that picking them up is too difficult at present. I think they found one planet that was 'super-Jupiter' sized, but was able to have liquid (almost boiling) water on it.

The habitable orbit zone is actually bigger than what was originall expected, especially if the orbits of the planets are highly elliptical.