Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 1:55 pm

I guess the "/ignore all" policy Microsoft used to employ isn't working anymore...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fuphN0yFE

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3fuphN0yFE[/youtube]

As much as I don't like Microsoft, it's about time there was a response...

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 2:30 pm

Way to go Microsoft! One of my favorite live365 stations features a Pc biased Pc vs.Mac on their site http://www.ijdeevo.com .

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 2:43 pm

The fact that Microsoft opens the commercial with the blatant truth "I've been made into a stereotype" is what I really like about this commercial...

The base complaint I have about Apple's current advertisement line (referring to Macs as outside the PC realm, when Macs are really just PC's running a different OS) still applies, but since this ad is more of a direct response to the typecasting that Apple pulled off, I don't blame Microsoft as much for it...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 5:02 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
Microsoft finally strikes back

I'm sure Steve Jobs is shaking in his boots. :roll:

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 6:32 pm

ToadOfSteel wrote:
(referring to Macs as outside the PC realm, when Macs are really just PC's running a different OS)

I'd have to take a look at the schematics on that to confirm that claim. Although, I DO see what you are saying. I think what really makes them different is the processor architecture, the common PC using the age old x86 where x referred to 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 ... I would like to see at least how similar these are between the two. Maybe Apple used the x87 ?

kip
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:33 pm

Keith wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:
(referring to Macs as outside the PC realm, when Macs are really just PC's running a different OS)

I'd have to take a look at the schematics on that to confirm that claim. Although, I DO see what you are saying. I think what really makes them different is the processor architecture, the common PC using the age old x86 where x referred to 0,1,2,3,4,5,6 ... I would like to see at least how similar these are between the two. Maybe Apple used the x87 ?

Actually, Apple used to use the PPC architecture, which was RISK based. Made for faster computers overall, plus, the hardware was limited which allowed them to not have to package as much crap in to get the same result.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

chever
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 7:37 pm

* RISC

kip
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2008, 8:56 pm

Yea, don't mind my spelling. Mindless customer resembling idiots all day lower my IQ tremendeously.

Cause seriously, you don't have to confirm if we have serial mice 15 TIMES. It doesn't matter if you're legally blind, you're on a PHONE. I finally told him all mice eat cereal and hung up.

?the end of our exploring, will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time. - T.S. Eliot

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2008, 7:33 pm

kip wrote:
Keith wrote:
ToadOfSteel wrote:

Actually, Apple used to use the PPC architecture, which was RISK based. Made for faster computers overall, plus, the hardware was limited which allowed them to not have to package as much crap in to get the same result.

True, but that was quite a while ago. Modern Macs use the same Intel chips as everyone else, and they buy all their other components from the same third-party vendors as all the other big hardware manufacturers do. In terms of hardware, there is not much difference between Macs and other computers.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2008, 11:32 pm

Orwell wrote:
kip wrote:

True, but that was quite a while ago. Modern Macs use the same Intel chips as everyone else, and they buy all their other components from the same third-party vendors as all the other big hardware manufacturers do. In terms of hardware, there is not much difference between Macs and other computers.

The sad thing is, if Apple didn't control their copies of OSX so tightly, one could install it on other non-mac machines (as far as I know, I haven't tried it myself)...

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 12:04 am

ToadOfSteel wrote:
The sad thing is, if Apple didn't control their copies of OSX so tightly, one could install it on other non-mac machines (as far as I know, I haven't tried it myself)...

Installing OSX on non-Apple hardware is something of a dominance display by alpha nerds. It is possible to do it, but not at all easy and, from what I've heard, you don't really get that great a system out of it.

Besides, why bother? Ubuntu is better than OSX.

ToadOfSteel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 6:37 am

Orwell wrote:
Besides, why bother? Ubuntu is better than OSX.

Hence why Apple never talks about Ubuntu (or any Linux distro for that matter)... only msft...

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2008, 2:22 pm

About time they did that.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 1:22 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ldiazsantana/2869094754/

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 6:11 am

Historically apple had the edge because they used the best and fastest components today's macs are just a pc with a different OS, also don't forget that MS owns 50% of Apple Mac. THe reason that we are all stuck with Intel and MS is because Apple refused to license the building of Mac clones and nearly went under because of this.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2008, 6:13 am

What do you mean MS owns half of mac? Dont you mean intel?