Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 12:08 am

ive googled and googled for solutions, but i simply cannot understand wth people are talking about, plus 90% of people seem to have a _similar_ but different problem, email related problems, etc.

i am just worried that whenever i open word (which i do often, cus i write) it uses memory so badly, im afraid ill fry my computer (again) which i cant afford.

i know its a windows problem (and not a trojan or whatever... ), cus i see other people complaining, but as i said... i cant make anything out of those sites and their explanations :(

anybody know what i can do?
i tried deleting a template file, but it still eats up everything i got of memory when i open it again.

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 1:41 am

How much memory do you have? as was just discussed in another thread, if your using vista you need a min. 3 gigs of memory before it will start to run 'fast'. Sure you can have it going good on a low spec. PC, but dont expect it to go fast. I have vista on my mothers pc with 512mb of memory and a old P4 cpu, runs fine for her surfing the web and card games.
One way you can get it going faster is to turn off all the "fancy looks". Sure it will look like windows 95, but it will go faster. Another thing is to turn off all services that are not needed, disable all program startups that are not needed.
Look at the task manager before starting wordpad to see how much memory is being used, and then look after you start word to see how much it is using. If I know the before and after and how much memory your system has, and how many processes are runing, might be able to tell you what is going on.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 2:32 am

You cannot fry your computer from excessive memory usage.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 4:06 am

This can be also happen with OpenOffice (and some browsers, namely and shamely Firefox) under Linux. My experience is that this happens if they are to long open (>24 hours). A similar problem is well known for the Acroreader under Linux, when the ld-linux allocates more and more heap (I saw in the extent of 2GB).

My advice: Close such applications at least ones a day.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 5:05 am

Fuzzy wrote:
You cannot fry your computer from excessive memory usage.

Yeah, only crash it from it. That is annoying as well but has no property damage.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 3:37 pm

i am using win XP, from 2002. old. didnt notice untill now tho, cus i havent written a lot.

roadracer; my computer runs like a roadrunner, i have long since shut off everything i dont need, everything is humming at an absolute minimum. winword just eats up everything seemingly by itself.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 7:04 pm

Dussel wrote:
This can be also happen with OpenOffice (and some browsers, namely and shamely Firefox) under Linux. My experience is that this happens if they are to long open (>24 hours). A similar problem is well known for the Acroreader under Linux, when the ld-linux allocates more and more heap (I saw in the extent of 2GB).

it chews up all my RAM the second i open the program.

anyway, i actually downloaded openoffice, i used it before, but some douche insisted i got rid "of that crap" and install ms office instead.

i opened the very same docs, that i am working on w winword, and my ram is fine and dandy. the problem seemed to be winword, for some reason.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 7:14 pm

ZEGH8578 wrote:
Dussel wrote:

That is what I would call a bug. As I said I see such an behaviour when certain programmes are running for days and then they slowly allocate more-and-more heap.

ZEGH8578 wrote:
anyway, i actually downloaded openoffice, i used it before, but some douche insisted i got rid "of that crap" and install ms office instead.

There is some criticism regarding OpenOffice, namely that is to blown-up and became to big - But when I would apply this to Win-Word, the result would be even worst.

Even on a Win-Machine, I would not see a reason not use OpenOffice - especially in a heterogeneous environment, because OpenOffice runs on almost any modern OS.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 8:03 pm

Dussel wrote:
ZEGH8578 wrote:
Dussel wrote:

That is what I would call a bug. As I said I see such an behaviour when certain programmes are running for days and then they slowly allocate more-and-more heap.

ZEGH8578 wrote:

There is some criticism regarding OpenOffice, namely that is to blown-up and became to big - But when I would apply this to Win-Word, the result would be even worst.

Even on a Win-Machine, I would not see a reason not use OpenOffice - especially in a heterogeneous environment, because OpenOffice runs on almost any modern OS.

my winword never runs more than a couple of hours a day. i got a very specific writing routine, i only write late after midnight, before going to bed. thats what i mean by it eating up my ram "immediately", every evening i open it to continue my writing, it starts by hogging all my RAM, and continues doing so untill i shut it off. i shut it on again, and its right back at eating up my RAM, as if it has a default of using everything i have.

when installing open-office, i unchecked everything but the text editor.

i'm happy! :D

roadracer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2009, 10:44 pm

Then that sounds like a memory leak with word. Look in task manager to see after you close it if the proces is actually stoped, and also that there is only one proces going. Try google for word memory leak. Unfortnantly, it is not a easy fix, because it is usually caused by installing something like a update, or a prgram that caused a error in windows, that is leading to the memory leak in word. If you installed something, then this started happening then that might be what caused it, but chances are that uninstalling what caused this will not fix it. It is a long shot, but try using a program like CCleaner to clean the registry of errors. If you cant find any fixes online, and cleaning the registry does not help, then it would probably be better to just switch to a differnt program. I use openoffice also, great program.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 6:39 am

ZEGH8578 wrote:

my winword never runs more than a couple of hours a day. i got a very specific writing routine, i only write late after midnight, before going to bed. thats what i mean by it eating up my ram "immediately", every evening i open it to continue my writing, it starts by hogging all my RAM, and continues doing so untill i shut it off. i shut it on again, and its right back at eating up my RAM, as if it has a default of using everything i have.

when installing open-office, i unchecked everything but the text editor.

i'm happy! :D

I am getting a picture... of you adding text to a document, every evening, in your "very specific writing routine".

It's not that you now have a very large document?

(Also, Word may be saving every edit you have ever made to the document. Check the file size. Although you may not be seeing a large document, it may well still be a massive file.)

MS Word is pretty good at destroying its own documents. I've had occasions where I've had to use OpenOffice to recover a Word document that Word couldn't even open.

(And... why did you un-check all the other OpenOffice components? You might just as well have them. They're nice. :))

Thatmew
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 2:07 pm

If all else fails, you can use the much more compact AbiWord.
http://www.abisource.com/
I used it for some time before I switched over to Open Office, but it is rather nice for the job it does. Also, the inquiry continues.
How much RAM do you have, and how much swap file/ page file do you have reserved. My computer, only 256 MB RAM runs smoothly with its...382 MB page file, smaller than I thought. Have you attempted to modify the performance settings in the advanced system settings tab of the system settings? Some of those flashy effects may hinder your performance. The Edition of your XP version may also greatly effect the system performance. That happens to be one of the reasons I happen to be using Professional, Home Edition is a bit messy.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 7:15 pm

Thatmew wrote:

I've always found AbiWord buggy and feature-poor, not to mention that its compatibility with other file formats seems to be spotty. Even on my minimalist Debian system I use OpenOffice.

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:03 pm

lau wrote:

(And... why did you un-check all the other OpenOffice components? You might just as well have them. They're nice. :))

because im compulsive :oops:
*twitch*

im not gonna be power-pointing or anything anyway. i got excel, and i wanted a functioning document editing program.

as for the file size, it could be what your saying, but it still shouldnt hog all that RAM, and opening the same file w openoffice doesnt use a fraction of the RAM, which tells me that winword has been acting up on me.

and yeah, i had some cold-sweat moments, where winword would be doing VERY strange things, probably cus of it being on the verge of collapsing on itself. luckily i didnt lose any work...

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 9:05 pm

Thatmew wrote:
I used it for some time before I switched over to Open Office, but it is rather nice for the job it does. Also, the inquiry continues.
How much RAM do you have, and how much swap file/ page file do you have reserved. My computer, only 256 MB RAM runs smoothly with its...382 MB page file, smaller than I thought. Have you attempted to modify the performance settings in the advanced system settings tab of the system settings? Some of those flashy effects may hinder your performance. The Edition of your XP version may also greatly effect the system performance. That happens to be one of the reasons I happen to be using Professional, Home Edition is a bit messy.

i got 1,25 GB ram, it REALLY should be able to uphold a document, no matter how large it is. i am also very nitpicky about my computer, its squeaky clean, i got about 15 GB of free space at all time, and a minimum of processes running.

as i said, openoffice managed to open the exact same documents, and with no memory-leakage problems. as for me, problem is solved. as for winword, well, i guess the mystery continues :D