Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

one1ai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2005, 11:01 am

Hi, I just wonder if anyone is interested in ai?

I am, but after I did a stupid thing.....like talking to my parents about it many days in a row they started to tell me to stop thinking about it.
Now when I'm searching the web about it, they tell me to close the computer.

I learnt not to talk about my special interests with my parents.

codeman38
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2005, 11:15 am

AI is one of the things I'm looking at doing research on in graduate school, actually.

And I can associate on parents not getting your perseverations and even wanting to keep you away from them. Not fun. -_-

Mythical
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Apr 2005, 11:27 am

I've always been interested in AI, but only recently actually started to do any research on it..

Parents can be so annoying sometimes :(

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2005, 6:01 pm

I'm not interested in AI, but I'm interested in tuberculosis, and my mom has told me that my obsession is a slap in the face to the people who have the disease, and she always tried to make me not like it. She realized that she can't change it, so she's accepted me the way I am.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 5:44 pm

AI: Artificial Inteligence? u mean PC games or realistic?

Hmm. Either way, yeah. Admitedly, realistic cause it will match me move for move in a PC game w out cheats :P

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2005, 9:13 pm

one1ai wrote:

I am, but after I did a stupid thing.....like talking to my parents about it many days in a row they started to tell me to stop thinking about it.

It sounds like your parents have watched Terminator too many times.
Artificial Intelligence could be an extremely good paying career.

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2005, 6:52 am

Quote:

TB_Samurai wrote:
I'm not interested in AI, but I'm interested in tuberculosis, and my mom has told me that my obsession is a slap in the face to the people who have the disease, and she always tried to make me not like it. She realized that she can't change it, so she's accepted me the way I am.

Wow. Those sound like really bad responses from your parents. What would the have you do instead? Play football? Hang about in the park, get pissed and set fire to bins? You could potentially go on to make great contributions in your respective fields, and it shocks me that your parents wouldn't want to encourage that. Especially the 'slap in the face' comment; how's it disrespectful to want to learn about something? Should war historians be chastised for their disrespect of the dead? Should epidemiologists be made to feel ashamed of their subject?

PeterMacKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2005, 7:01 am

Btw, I have an interest in AI myself, though I have a wide range of interests and it's only one of many. Right now I'm reading "Expert Systems and Applied Artificial Intelligence" by Efraim Turban, which looks at the subject from the perspective of commercial applications rather than addressing the more esoteric theoretical aspects (also, it's from 1990 or so, so the more esoteric bits were especially so when it was written).

I'm slowly learning python, and every-so-often I try putting together an a-life simulation, but so far my programming skills aren't up to that standard and I just end up with broken A* implimentations, collision detection that gets about as far as "objects x and y have collided" and critter domains that are just 2D planes or 3D boxes.

BlackLiger
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2005, 10:57 am

I like AI also, although mine is in the context of Computer Games.
http://www.bolton.ac.uk/courses/course_ ... ode=single Take a look. Especially if you are in the UK and preparing to go to University.

Torak
Raven
Raven

28 May 2005, 4:46 pm

My knowledge of AI is limited to Expert Systems, both from university and to an extent from my career.

I find the misunderstandings of AI among many people amusing, particularly when they all think of The Terminator.

An intelligence functions exclusively within its own sensory context. Game AIs have the data submitted to them by the game as their senses, Expert Systems have the user input, we have our five senses.

AI rules are pre-defined, ours are evolved, although AIs could be made to evolve more efficient rules, some game AIs do.

In that context the only things that distinguish us are spontaneous emotional response and insanity. I don't believe either of those could be put into any logical context and thus a 'human AI' is, for all intents and purposes, impossible to implement bearing in mind that computers function on pure logic and attempting to make a rational 'rule set' for the irrational defeats the purpose of the exercise.

<philosophy diatribe finishes> :wink:

*re-reading my post*

I'm stating the obvious there.

But I digress... Expert systems are something I have done to a degree in a very simple way for handling legal and medical admin processes. I've never looked into anything deeper yet, although maybe I should.

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2005, 9:32 pm

Too bad AI couldn't be made to consistantly add code onto itself and make itself more advanced, eh?

www.elderscrolls.com The Radiant AI system really impresses me, read up on it.

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2005, 8:29 am

I like AI in terms of trying to represent human behaviour in conversation form.

http://www.pandorabots.com/pandora/talk?botid=f5d922d97e345aa1

The ALICE foundation have been exploring conversation. They are essentially trying to mimic small talk.

To read about the creator of ALICE:

http://www.alicebot.org/articles/bush/w ... ation.html

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 3:20 am

I've always been intrigued by AI and the possibility that one day it could rival human intelligence. Only started trying to implement my own experiments quite recently though, just very simple stuff using genetic algorithms and backpropagating neural networks.

Have you seen NEAT? http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~kstanley/

andy1976uk
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2007, 3:25 am

Kitsune wrote:
Too bad AI couldn't be made to consistantly add code onto itself and make itself more advanced, eh?

www.elderscrolls.com The Radiant AI system really impresses me, read up on it.

Might want to look at genetic programming. :)

Atomika
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 1:13 pm

The one huge obstacle with creating "strong" AI is that it will take computer programers several hundred years to program as much information into a computer possessed by a 2 year old human.

But, in MIT and in other places, they are experimenting with neural-nets and they are programming computers to "learn" information to get around this obstacle. I think in MIT they have a robot that can actually play air-hockey and can distinguish between objects. Also, in Japan they have are working on a robot that has geniune emotions. I hear that it likes the smell of alcohol.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2007, 4:48 pm

no, I'm not interested in politicians