Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 1:30 am

Like seriously, this is the future...meat grown in the lab, no animals involved. Freaking meat grown in a lab, and from what I hear not only does it taste as good as the real thing but if anything even better. I mean if this actually gained some more steam, this could be the future of food or part of it anyways. I just don't see why I am not hearing more about this, like its revolutionary technology and it could help feed the world.

I mean sure people can go vegan or vegetarian and this and that, but that kind of diet is not for everyone...if they can just grow meat though, than no more getting bitched at by vegans about animals being killed and no more having to find an 'alternative' to be more animal friendly, because you could get real meat that did not come from a living animal.

I mean some might, say but how much do you know of this labratory meat, how do you know its safe...well at least I would know it likely does not have plastic in it. I mean I have heard so much about it, every time I eat fish or sea-food I know I am also eating ocean plastic since apparently it is everywhere at least microparticles that fish end up devouring.

I just see all the go vegan/vegetarian and don't eat meat to save the animals, well how about go lab meat....to save the animals and also provide a viable way to provide food to the world.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 5:03 am

The technology isn't really developed yet, they're still doing research on lab grown meat. I'm sure it will become popular in the years to come when it's available on the market. On the other hand, genetic engineering technology has also allowed companies like Impossible Foods to create heme from yeast, which makes plant-based alternatives taste pretty much exactly the same as meat.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 9:13 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why isn't laboratory meat a bigger deal?
Some of my friends have told me that when they hear or read about "Test-Tube Meat", they imagine something like Soylent Green or some other movie that features mad scientists playing God and messing around with Things Man Was Not Meant To Know.

As for me, it tastes like chicken.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 2:51 pm

Because such meat would have to be chemically and genetically altered, which is disgusting and unhealthy. I'd rather become a vegetarian than eat the stuff.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2018, 8:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Why Isn't Laboratory Meat A Bigger Deal?
I know right? I'm surprised that people aren't more excited about this revolutionary technology!

I've heard environmentalists saying that in the future we may have to give up meat because it uses too many resources, yet they completely ignore this alternative.
Sweetleaf wrote:
I mean sure people can go vegan or vegetarian and this and that, but that kind of diet is not for everyone...if they can just grow meat though, than no more getting bitched at by vegans about animals being killed and no more having to find an 'alternative' to be more animal friendly, because you could get real meat that did not come from a living animal.
I agree that eating a lifeform that doesn't have a nervous system is entirely ethical because it can't possibly feel pain but vegans often want to eat "natural" food (even if it's been modified from its natural state through selective breeding and cooking) and they might think vat meat isn't "natural" enough for them.

Remember that some of these people think that consuming engineered DNA may l harm them, even though foreign DNA is completely destroyed by the digestive process. Some of these people want us to use "organic" farming techniques even though it grows less food per acre and requires more land to be cleared. These are the same people who block the development of hydroelectric dams and who effectively put a stop to research into safer nuclear reactors and then complain that we're burning too much coal.

I think that if this vat meat technology becomes very cheap it will be adopted by the developing world, not by the middle vieux riche of the developed world who can afford the luxury of deliberately using inefficient farming techniques.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 1:12 am

Jono wrote:
The technology isn't really developed yet, they're still doing research on lab grown meat. I'm sure it will become popular in the years to come when it's available on the market. On the other hand, genetic engineering technology has also allowed companies like Impossible Foods to create heme from yeast, which makes plant-based alternatives taste pretty much exactly the same as meat.

I just saw an episode of the new Bill Nye show a few months back where they had some people try the lab meat, and they said it was really good, like as good if not better than the real thing so I am certainly looking forward to being able to buy that stuff. I mean its a good idea like they could potentially feed a lot more people that way than with using farming. But yeah so far from what I have heard seems like it tastes just fine and most people probably would not even notice much difference.

So that is what I mean it seems its advanced enough to go on the market, but it hasn't yet and I have to wonder why, because that is the future...its like one step closer to a star trek scanner that can just replicate you a meal.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 5:27 am

Right now, the meat is too difficult and expensive to produce on a mass scale.

As far as vegetarians are concerned, they still require real meat for the process.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 5:56 am

From what I've heard, they have issues with the marbling.