Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

28 Feb 2021, 4:40 pm

Anyone else like "Girl's Last Tour":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girls%27_Last_Tour

I know a lot of people didn't like it as it was way too contemplative, which is why my wife and I loved it so much: it's kinda the antithesis of nearly all the anime we've tried to watch. Most anime takes itself way too seriously, or everyone's yelling at one another with spiky crazy colored hair, or stuff's blowing up, or all the female characters are manic pixie dream girls, "If they liked it once, they'll love it twice..."

I do love me some silly old stuff like "Gigantor", "Astro Boy" and "Speed Racer".

By far the best anime film I've seen is "Akira":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akira_(1988_film)

While not perfect, few films are though, it never pulls any punches: I saw it when it first came to the States back in the late 1980's.

DIVAIR

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 6:32 pm

Ah yes, the post apocalyptic series of two girls and a tank, just living their everyday lives, and they dab in the opening song. It is a good show, I was particularly fond of its environmental story telling, that is not a focus but you could start to piece together what happened in the past, but you could piece together what happened. One detail I especially liked was what was not there, and it gets explained by the end.

I would place Girls Last Tour a bit into the slice of life genre of anime, but it also has its fair share of existential stuff one could point to another post apocalyptic series, making it a weird blend. I not too long ago made some post for slice of life recommendations, and I can think of Hakumei and Mikochi as something that feels like similar veins

And maybe not entirely the same thing in not being too serious at times, but I would feel remiss to not mention School Live, it can have a cute appearance, but super not for the feint of heart, and best watched with no prior knowledge, other than maybe a warning of being able to take heavy stuff.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2021, 9:55 pm

I really enjoyed it too. It was very relaxing in kind of an eerie way. It reminds me of book I can't quite remember :D it's somewhere in the recesses of my mind.

Anyway you might like made in abyss or as i suggested to someone else on here Somali and the forest spirit.

A word of warning. Made in abyss stops in the middle of the story and gets very dark. I heard eventually the rest is supposed to be made but... with anime it could be years or not happen. So you can read the manga for the rest of the story, I think its a great story and worth it.

"I sat with my anger long enough, until she told me her real name was grief."

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2021, 11:24 pm

Spunge42 wrote:
A word of warning. Made in abyss stops in the middle of the story and gets very dark. I heard eventually the rest is supposed to be made but... with anime it could be years or not happen. So you can read the manga for the rest of the story, I think its a great story and worth it.

The movie was especially rough, Bondrewd left me feeling pretty devastated and emotionally drained. Although Ozen is one of my favourite anime characters in general, a giant who starkly offsets the child characters with their hard to read motives, whether they are a villain or not, a human or a monster.

DIVAIR
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2021, 11:42 am

Thanks, I'll give 'em a look :) My wife and I for the most part liked "Paranoia Agent" by Satoshi Kon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paranoia_Agent

Lil' Slugger was particularly menacing 8O After that we thought we'd try some of his films. The first one we tried was "Paprika", just couldn't get past the horrible fat-guy stereotype :x We were able to finish "Perfect Blue", but found it very trite.

We loved-loved-loved "Aggretsuko":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aggretsuko

Especially the first season. I found the dubbed version impossible to watch though because I can't stand the American voice actor's, I find them cloying: why can't they get different fresh voice talent?

Another one we enjoyed immensely was "Future Boy Conan":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Boy_Conan

His super strength was a bit to choke down, but other that it had great character development and story arc.

DIVAIR

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Mar 2021, 1:25 pm

DIVAIR: aggretsuko was definitely fun times. I haven't finished paranoia agent yet, but the first 2 episodes seemed interesting. You might like Hozuki's coolheadedness. The main character is the chief of staff of hell. I love how they make the running of hell like a big company. :lol: and I love the idea of animals torturing people in animal cruelty hell. I mean after I die, sign me up. I'd totally work there for eternity. :heart: I also love how deadpan hozuki is no matter what happens.

Bradleigh: where did you watch Hakumei and Mikochi? I've looked for it several times and haven't found it. Not on crunchyroll, funimation, Netflix, or Amazon or a couple other places :evil:

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2021, 3:39 pm

Spunge42 wrote:
Bradleigh: where did you watch Hakumei and Mikochi? I've looked for it several times and haven't found it. Not on crunchyroll, funimation, Netflix, or Amazon or a couple other places :evil:

The legal stream seems to be on HIDIVE, or maybe VRV.
You might otherwise have to look for an illegal streaming site, something like GOGO Anime.

Spunge42
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Mar 2021, 12:14 am

:heart: Bradleigh thanks a bunch! :heart:

I didn't know about hidive and vrv. Seriously how did I miss those channels. But they still don't have tsuritama :cry: I've been wanting to watch it again and can't remember where I watched it and can't find it legally anywhere. But they had some others I've been wanting to see or rewatch.

Also, I thought I'd suggest Land of the Lustrous. It's so beautiful. I enjoyed the story and character design too. If you like the post humanity kind of stories, where it's kind of desolate etc. The music is calming. And definitely watch in original language.

If y'all have seen it what did you think of it? I really hope studio orange does another season!!

IrishBear
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Mar 2021, 11:55 pm

I did really enjoy GLT, I thought it was well made and just loved the OST, the OP but really just enjoyed it as a whole tbh I think it was a good take on apocalyptic genera and one of the anime I recommend to people.
I can also highly recommend Somali And The Forest Spirit, Made In Abyss seen both and was highly entertained by both.
My Fav anime 1) Hunter x Hunter 2) Neon Genesis 3) Sailor Moon 4) Code Geass and Haruhi Suzumhiya 5) Elfen Lied
also recently Finished Death Note and now reading the Manga and it's so fantastic

as for movies A Silent Voice loved it but first time watching it so overwhelmed to meltdown level. I just could so relate to the being bullied part.
Akira cause it's a classic and the animation still holds up