Do you remember the FIRST movie you ever saw in a theatre?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 11:49 pm

I actually wasn't sure, so I had to look up a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_film
On the right side, you can click any year and find a good amount of Hollywood films from that year. I did find two or three movies that were missing from the list though, so it's not 100% exhaustive.

Anyway, it looks like my first one was probably Hook, which was released December 11th, 1991. So I was probably 8 years old when I saw it.

I kept searching and found a pretty good list of every '90s movie I could positively remember seeing (and a handful that I wasn't sure about)...most of them were in 1993/1994.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 12:09 am

I saw JAWS in the cinema in summer 1975 but I'm not sure if it was my first movie or not. I also saw The Apple Dumpling Gang that summer. I don't know which one I saw first, and I might have seen some children's movies even earlier than 1975.

I have a vague idea that I might have seen Snow White in the cinema in 73 or 74 but I can't be certain.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 12:54 am

I don't know if it was my first movie, but my parents said we saw Nemo when it came out (so I was around 2) and I had a meltdown, so my dad had to sit outside the theater with me. lol

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 1:49 am

Hard to pin down the very first in my memory.

Maybe the original "Mary Poppins" (with Dick Van Dyke, and Julie Andrews), or "Swiss Family Robinson".

threetoed snail
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Apr 2021, 2:42 am

The Lion King.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

17 Apr 2021, 4:18 am

It was nearly Indiana Jones 2 or 3 (depending on when they were on in the UK - I was born in '83) but my mum thought it might be a bit scary for me so it ended up being "The Jungle Book" some time in the mid 80s. The only thing I can remember about it was finding the snake scary and hiding my face in the seat when he was on.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:58 am

Pokemon the First Movie

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:00 am

I think it was Toy Story but I don't remember it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:21 am

The Longest Day when I was 5 years old. My father took me.

1962 film about D-Day.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 1:11 pm

The Land Before Time

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:24 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
I actually wasn't sure, so I had to look up a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_years_in_film
On the right side, you can click any year and find a good amount of Hollywood films from that year. I did find two or three movies that were missing from the list though, so it's not 100% exhaustive.

Anyway, it looks like my first one was probably Hook, which was released December 11th, 1991. So I was probably 8 years old when I saw it.

I kept searching and found a pretty good list of every '90s movie I could positively remember seeing (and a handful that I wasn't sure about)...most of them were in 1993/1994.

No i dont remember which movie was the first one for me.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 5:45 pm

It may have been either The Lion King or Jumanji.

So likely I was 4 years old (to my NT sister being 7 years old) if was The Lion King.

If not, I was 5 years old (to my NT sister being 8 years old) if it was Jumanji.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 6:12 pm

In theaters? Possibly the Phantom Menace but I only would have been 4 so I dunno. Maybe Toy Story 2, Tarzan, or Dinosaur (2000)? The earliest I remember seeing in theaters was the Fellowship of the Ring but I was 7. I watched a lot of VHS tapes of films in the 90's so I can't remember.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 9:58 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I saw JAWS in the cinema in summer 1975 but I'm not sure if it was my first movie or not. ...
I have a vague idea that I might have seen Snow White in the cinema in 73 or 74 but I can't be certain.

A few years back, our theatre was doing this thing where they'd show older movies for cheap...most of them were BluRay, but some were DVD. Jaws was one of the movies. It's not quite the same, but it was still pretty cool. I remember they did Wayne's World, too.

Pinocchio was another early one for me, when they brought it back in late 1992.

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
I don't know if it was my first movie, but my parents said we saw Nemo when it came out (so I was around 2) and I had a meltdown, so my dad had to sit outside the theater with me. lol

Finding Nemo, I presume? I saw that one at the drive-in, as the second feature...the other screen was showing Malibu's Most Wanted...I had to pass.
I can't remember what the first feature was...Terminator 3, maybe?

threetoed snail wrote:
The Lion King.

I'm like 75% certain that we didn't see that one in the theatre. Maybe.
But my brother got it on VHS (we had very few that weren't just taped off cable), and my best friend's sisters watched it so often that they memorized every line...so between that, I've seen it way more times than any person needs to...

Udinaas wrote:
I think it was Toy Story but I don't remember it.

I saw that one, too. Our class actually went to see it for a field trip. Kind of weird when you think about it.
Actually, she took us on quite a few "just for fun" field trips. I remember we went to the skating rink once.

funeralxempire wrote:
The Land Before Time

I want to say we saw one of those, but I'm really not sure, and I couldn't say which one.

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
If not, I was 5 years old (to my NT sister being 8 years old) if it was Jumanji.

Jumanji on the big screen was great =) Between that, Hook, and Mrs. Doubtfire, (and Mork & Mindy on TV), it seems like Robin Williams had a pretty big influence on my childhood.

Feyokien wrote:
Possibly the Phantom Menace but I only would have been 4 so I dunno.

I saw Episodes 2 and 3 at the theatre (Midnight showing for both), but somehow I managed to miss out on the first one =(
Would've been awesome to see the Special Editions, too, even though I really don't like them.

Feyokien wrote:
I watched a lot of VHS tapes of films in the 90's so I can't remember.

Yeah, that's my problem too. There's a LOT of movies that I distinctly remember seeing in theatre, but there's a good handful that my memory's a little fuzzy on.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:05 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
HeroOfHyrule wrote:

Finding Nemo, I presume? I saw that one at the drive-in, as the second feature...the other screen was showing Malibu's Most Wanted...I had to pass.
I can't remember what the first feature was...Terminator 3, maybe?

Yup! I forgot the full name of the movie, oops. lol

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2021, 10:26 pm

HeroOfHyrule wrote:
my parents said we saw Nemo when it came out (so I was around 2) and I had a meltdown, so my dad had to sit outside the theater with me. lol

I took my little boy to see an animated movie in the mid 90s. I think it was called Iron Man? Something like that? He also had a meltdown and went hysterical from the sound being so loud. We spent the entire time in the lobby getting rude looks from people. Then he developed a fear of loud noises in general which lasted for several years. Funny I had forgotten all about that.