Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2022, 3:58 am

I've watched the 3 episodes that are out, and I just can't get into it, the show is both trying too hard to be edgy with over the top snark and profanity, gore, nudity, crude jokes, etc, but it won't fully commit to the bit, e.g. there's a character who is supposed to be an old white supremacist type snapping off Nazi salutes, but his racist dialogue is like Disney Racist, both silly and not offensive enough to sell the character. There's a lot of stuff like that in the show, where it's doing a bunch of bro jokes where you can almost feel James Gunn nudging you with his elbow "eh, eh, yeah, I went there, Peacemaker owns a Fleshlight, LOL!! !", but then shies away from anything that might be actually offensive, it makes it feel fake to me when he's trying so hard to do transgressive anti hero. Basically, Deadpool did this shtick better, and felt a lot less forced for the most part, this is more like they watched a bunch of 00's Will Ferrell movies and decided to drop the manchild character he always played into an off-brand MCU and punch it up with a bunch of sex, gore, and of course, so you know who's directing, a very specific soundtrack, it's just not working for me so far, and this kind of thing is usually up my alley.

We'll see if it gets better, it has potential, but so far they're squandering it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:58 pm

To each his own. My wife and I laughed our heads off.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 4:17 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

See, that's funny, cause part of what has me puzzled here is that I feel like I should like this, but I don't, hence me musing about why it isn't landing with me. Maybe you're just more in the target demographic? I'm only an honorary nerd, I didn't actually read comics or obsess over sci fi as a kid, I just got it second hand from my friends, so maybe some of the references and jokes are going right by me, though at least I know that this character inspired the Comedian (now that is a show I'd watch).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2022, 5:13 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

See, that's funny, cause part of what has me puzzled here is that I feel like I should like this, but I don't, hence me musing about why it isn't landing with me. Maybe you're just more in the target demographic? I'm only an honorary nerd, I didn't actually read comics or obsess over sci fi as a kid, I just got it second hand from my friends, so maybe some of the references and jokes are going right by me, though at least I know that this character inspired the Comedian (now that is a show I'd watch).

As a born-nerd, having married a nerd wife, I think that makes a lot of sense.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 10:12 pm

Just watched two more episodes, up to #5, it's growing on me a bit, like it's not trying quite so hard to be edgy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2022, 11:39 pm

I don't think it was meant to be edgy; rather it was meant to be more satirical.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 2:02 am

Episode 6 was pretty wild, James Gunn sure does like his gore paired with musical numbers. I still have mixed feelings about this show, but it's at least entertaining and manages to surprise me from time to time.

Also, why didn't anyone just close their mouth?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2022, 3:16 am

Dox47 wrote:
Episode 6 was pretty wild, James Gunn sure does like his gore paired with musical numbers. I still have mixed feelings about this show, but it's at least entertaining and manages to surprise me from time to time.

Also, why didn't anyone just close their mouth?

Why do people go down into the basement when the lights go off, in horror movies? Same reason.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2022, 3:39 am

Episode 7 is leaning hard into the redemption arc, but I just don't feel like they committed enough to making Peacemaker a bad guy in the first place, even having seen The Suicide Squad, he's just a dumb guy with a terrible father. I'm also annoyed at the toothless white supremacists, I feel like Gunn just used them as a generic hate sink rather than bothering to make them genuinely hateful, and in the process exposed that he's not as committed to his pushing the limit bit as he wants the viewer to think.