Page 1140 of 1262 [ 20185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1137, 1138, 1139, 1140, 1141, 1142, 1143 ... 1262  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2022, 11:34 am

Last night we watched:

Visitors [2013]

The trailer above represents the film well. It is, essentially, a music video.

Godfrey Reggio, director of the Qatsi trilogy, and Philip Glass, composer for the Qatsi trilogy, collaborated again in Visitors. Unlike the Qatsi trilogy, the music in Visitors stays peaceful and calm for the entire movie and is all like the music you hear in the trailer above.

I liked Visitors and my bride did not. But, I like Philip Glass' music and she does not.

I think the IMDb listing for Visitors is flawed.
<=>- I would not have called Visitors a "documentary". I think its genre is "music".
<=>- The only "trance-like relationship with technology" explored is the viewer's likely trance-like state.
<=>- Yes, Visitors is in English...if you count the title and credits. Nothing is spoken and nothing else to read.
<=>- "Black and White" is almost true. There is, however, a blue dot.

As shown in the trailer, much of the movie is looking at people looking back. They are not still photos, they are people being still. And I was very impressed that they got a gorilla to sit still and stare back at the camera.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 8:32 am

Taken 3
Pretty good.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 3:19 pm

Slaughterhouse 5 (1972 adaptation of Kurt Vonnegut's antiwar novel directed by George Hill)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2022, 5:01 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Visitors [2013]
As shown in the trailer, much of the movie is looking at people looking back. They are not still photos, they are people being still. And I was very impressed that they got a gorilla to sit still and stare back at the camera.
I was impressed enough by the gorilla that I looked for more information. Her name is "Triska".

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 10:02 am

Eve's Bayou
very good film from 1997

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 12:17 pm

Wedding Season. It's about Asha, an Indian-American economist who is fed up with her parents trying to marry her off to Indian men she hasn't met. So with their latest choice, Ravi (who is equally fed up with his parents trying to marry him off), she pretends to fall in love with him and he with her, to keep their parents quiet. They go as a couple to the huge number of Indian weddings in the season, everyone is happy...until the truth is revealed!

A sweet film to pass the time with some sharp cultural observations.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 1:30 pm

Taken

good

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 4:09 pm

The Night Strangler.

1973 horror/comedy sequel to The Night Stalker. Intrepid but highly eccentric reporter, Carl Kolchak, finds evidence that a spree of strangulation murders in Seattle are being committed by a killer who reemerges every 21 years since the 19th century in order to prolong his life. But as always, everybody sees him as just a kook. Very funny, especially as Kolchak has this thing about him that gets everybody YELLING AT THE TOP OF THEIR VOICES!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2022, 11:39 pm

Men.

A newly widowed woman, after seeing her husband die in what was either an accident or suicide after she threatened to divorce him, tries to get away from her feelings of guilt by taking a vacation to a small English country town. There, she experiences surreal and terrifying visions, which she can't tell are real or not.
Very good British horror flick.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 8:35 am

bend it like Beckham
fun

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2022, 2:08 pm

Braveheart
Pretty good.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 9:16 am

Lethal weapon
A christmas classic

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 3:40 pm

Last night I watched:

Duck Soup [1933]
<=>"War Is Swell...when the Marx Brothers are in it.
<=+=>They'll be out of the trenches by Christmas...if the food doesn't improve."
The last movie with the four Marx Brothers: Groucho, Harpo, Chico & Zeppo.

The Trivia section of it's IMDb listing contains some things I did not know until reading it today:

Quote:
"Duck soup" was American English slang at that time; it meant something easy to do.
Quote:
Italian dictator Benito Mussolini banned the film from Italy because he thought it was a direct attack on him. When news of this reached The Marx Brothers, they were reportedly ecstatic.

It's listing in Wikipedia says:
Quote:
While contemporaneous critics of Duck Soup felt it did not quite rise to the level of its predecessors, critical opinion has evolved and the film has since achieved the status of a classic. Duck Soup is now widely considered among many critics and fans to be a masterpiece of comedy as well as the Marx Brothers' finest film.
And one of the sources Wikipedia cites says:
Quote:
...it is downright remarkable how well the film has aged as a satire on war films and incompetent governments; watching it today, there are moments that seem so familiar to today’s state of the Union that the film seems more horrifically prophetic than funny.

I think Duck Soup is good Marx fun but based on the above I guess the movie must be better than I thought when watching it.
I freely admit that assessment is inspired by some comments made about Wagner's music.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2022, 11:46 pm

The Night Stalker.

The made for TV movie that started the later Kolchak series, of the never-believed reporter who realizes what the police refuse to grasp: that the latest serial killer in Vegas is a vampire.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2022, 8:32 am

Missing
a good western.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2022, 4:43 pm

Candyman (2021 version)