Page 1142 of 1259 [ 20134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1139, 1140, 1141, 1142, 1143, 1144, 1145 ... 1259  Next

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 10:15 am

The Innocents (1961)

One of my all time favourite movies is The Others (2001) and a few days ago I watched a YouTube video in which someone said that The Others had taken a bit of inspiration from The Innocents, so I really wanted to check it out. I thought it was pretty great most of the way through, I laughed a lot at the old fashioned English dialogue (it was (is?) a UK movie) which made it fun for me, but I also gasped in horror several times and was genuinely scared now and then, which I had not expected from an old b&w ghost movie from the early 60s. I was impressed by the movie but the ending really slowed down for me, I wasn't scared or really even interested by the final scenes, which left me feeling flat and kind of tainted my overall impression of the movie. I still liked the film overall though.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 5:36 pm

cecilfienkelstien wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Candyman (2021 version)

What's your verdict?

My mom, my NT sister, and I enjoyed this film because this film used tension instead of graphic violence to make sure this film was worth 90 minutes of our time.

The three of us also had a favorite "kill scene." :twisted:

8)

Sounds fun.

It is.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2022, 7:37 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Last night we watched:

Men [2022]
<=>"What haunts you will find you."

I'd agree with Kraichgauer, it is a "Very good British horror flick."

It is visually exquisite.
(At times the visuals reminded me of Annihilation [2018], another Horror film also directed by Alex Garland.)

And Men also did a wonderful job of creating a mood. It did not take long for me to decide it was "eerie", and then for my bride to declare it was "creepy", and then for us to agree it was "weird" (in a horror movie sense).

Side note—My bride and I both noticed the credits included credits for:

<=+=+=>COVID Supervisor
<=+=+=>COVID Testing Secretary
<=+=+=>COVID Secretary
<=+=+=>COVID Monitor
<=+=+=>COVID Runner

Thanks for the nod to me! 8)

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 5:35 am

Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999)

It was pretty hilarious at times but there was a lot of super problematic stuff in it...including excessive use of the R slur, mostly aimed at a character that I guess was supposed to be autistic? That and a few other things kinda ruined the movie for me.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2022, 8:55 am

Hackers
Fun

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 11:07 am

I used a cat as bait...my bride likes kitties so I've persuaded her to watch the movies in our collection that have Orangey the Cat in them. There's not too many of them in our collection and they're reasonably good.

Last night we started with This Island Earth [1955]. I think it is one of the better 1950s Science Fiction films...a group of films she usually avoids.

I am pleased to report that my bride liked the movie! And she enjoyed Orangey's performance...a supporting character and only a speaking part if you include a very upset meow but Orangey did good!

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 3:22 pm

Day Shift.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 3:55 pm

Vanilla Sky (2001).

Did not like it.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2022, 9:07 pm

Escape From Angola (1976)

1976 - I remember it quite well! One of the biggest international news stories was the bloody civil war in Angola, where three guerilla movements were fighting for control of the country after the departure of the Portuguese colonial administration in 1975. There was the left-wing MPLA, backed by the Soviet Union and Cuba, the more Western-orientated FNLA, and the joker in the pack was UNITA, led by a very rum character called Jonas Savimbi.

All of this attracted particular attention in the UK when a number of captured British mercenaries underwent a show-trial in the Angolan capital Luanda, and several of them were executed.

So I was looking forward to seeing this film, hoping that it would draw on these events and reflect the political and military situation to at least some extent. No such luck, of course. It's all dumbed down, with the only guerilla movement being the fictional GVA, who seem to have no clear objective here except to seize some explosives to destroy a dam, and to attack an American family's wildlife reserve.

This family is in fact the main focus of the film, along with a lot of animal-based activity, some of it played for laughs. The family doesn't even bother to escape from Angola in the end, which makes one wonder about the film's title.

Despite all of this, it's still just about watchable.

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 9:03 am

An Unfinished Life.
Very good.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 3:00 pm

Summer of Soul(The Revolution Will Not Be Televised)
Documentary Directed by Questlove about until recently a forgotten piece of history , the 1969 Harlem Cultural Festival known as the "Black Woodstock" because it occurred the same summer as Woodstock and the wide variety of talented acts of different genres that performed. The festival occurred over six Sundays(including one concurrently with Woodstock). The documentary does a good job of explaining the context as well as showing the performances.

Anybody interested in music, history, or groovy 60s fashion will enjoy the documentary.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 3:24 pm

Doberdoofus wrote:
Day Shift.
Day Shift [2022]?

What did you think of it?

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2022, 5:57 pm