Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2022, 9:29 am

Do TV stations keep archives of all programming. If so, is it possible to view programming from a certain point in the past as it originally aired (commercials and all)?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 1:32 am

No, is the short answer.

The programmes themselves are stored, either by the broadcaster or the production company depending on who actually owns it but these are the original articles that would have been broadcast.

There's no financial incentive for the broadcasters to store such a thing because if you wanted to re-broadcast a show you'd want to do it at the best possible quality (so you'd go back to the original source, not a copy that would have lost some fidelity in transmission) and you'd want to sell new advertising against it.

There is no indeoendent organization that I'm aware of that records the broadcasts as they go out, and if there was they wouldn't be able to re-show it due to the copyright issues in both the show and the commercials.

So unless someone happens to record it on a home VCR or whatever, it's lost.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2022, 1:32 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
No, is the short answer.

The programmes themselves are stored, either by the broadcaster or the production company depending on who actually owns it but these are the original articles that would have been broadcast.

There's no financial incentive for the broadcasters to store such a thing because if you wanted to re-broadcast a show you'd want to do it at the best possible quality (so you'd go back to the original source, not a copy that would have lost some fidelity in transmission) and you'd want to sell new advertising against it.

There is no indeoendent organization that I'm aware of that records the broadcasts as they go out, and if there was they wouldn't be able to re-show it due to the copyright issues in both the show and the commercials.

So unless someone happens to record it on a home VCR or whatever, it's lost.

Even a lot of older broadcasts only became archived because someone recorded them. I've noticed with the 80s era racing I watch, IMSA and Trans-Am recordings are all from TV broadcasts and the NASCAR recordings are from a mix of TV broadcasts and direct satellite feeds (pirated, I assume).

Both Trans-Am and NASCAR are dependent upon those fan recordings for full race uploads.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2022, 12:04 am

Wouldn't it be great if we could find such archives? The episodes would also have all the scenes without any scenes being edited out.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2022, 11:30 pm

There are old TV programs on youtube that are VHS recordings they made when the program aired that include commercials. Last night I watched the final episode of M*A*S*H* that had original commercials. Although whoever recorded it 39 years ago, must have hit the pause button during some of the commercial breaks.

It's the most watched episode if any TV show in history.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 5:50 pm

There are cable channels dedicated to replaying programs baby boomers grew up with.

Paley Center for Media

Quote:
The Paley Archive is made up of over 160,000 television and radio programs and advertisements, covering more than a century of media history, beginning with a 1918 speech by labor leader Samuel Gompers. The collection spans all genres: comedy, drama, news, public affairs, performing arts, children's, sports, reality, animation, and documentary. The Archive also includes an international presence, with assets collected from seventy countries.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2022, 6:25 pm

https://youtu.be/LjL7aRUSDHs

The Mauve Factor
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Oct 2022, 2:27 am

I know it's all very hit-and-miss, but you can sometimes find exactly what you're looking for if you search hard enough on either Youtube or Archive.org. Finding shows with the commercials intact sometimes feels like a goldmine, especially when somebody has contributed an entire series just from home-taped VHS or whatever, but it totally happens, and likely more than a lot of people realize.

Oddly enough, commercials themselves have gained a bit of a second-life on Youtube (in the archival, nostalgic sense), so you can sometimes just supplement those in for what you're lacking. It's not the same, but it's close!

Side-note, I totally watch 90's and 00's commercials for that nostalgic factor. lol