What are your feelings about Will Smith today?

Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:18 am

he was tolerable in "gemini man" only because of the technical wizardry of the movie itself.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
yes, tough guy lee marvin was amiable with the film crew and extras. that is but one example. there are many actors who are decent human beings.

Different generation. Pre-1980 most actors and actresses were decent, If you read Sharon Stone's take it started with 80s actors like Schwartznegger, Van Damme, Segal, Stallone and Michael Douglas who started the trend of being demanding and narcissistic pricks on set. Might have something to do with their pay-cheques giving them more play money than actors of previous generations.

yes, money=power, and power corrupts.

Probably...from the 80s the box office blockbusters were attracting hundreds of millions of dollars worldwide so actors like Stallone or Douglas could demand multimillion dollar contracts. It's not a coincidence they started throwing around their fame/money like they were petulant children.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know squat about him as a person. .

That's the key thing here. I try and separate the artist from their art. Will's movies are iconic.

Tom Cruise is an epic dickhed, but I like his moves too. 8)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
he was tolerable in "gemini man" only because of the technical wizardry of the movie itself.

I-robot was iconic, so was Enemy of the State and I am Legend.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:21 am

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I know squat about him as a person. .

That's the key thing here. I try and separate the artist from their art. Will's movies are iconic.

Tom Cruise is an epic dickhed, but I like his moves too. 8)

true

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2023, 1:22 am

auntblabby wrote:

He was great in "I am Legend".
Perhaps he engaged in "Method Acting" too profoundly, and it stuck. :scratch: :mrgreen:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 6:58 pm

My mom, my NT sister, and I thought it was a gag when he slapped Chris Rock. 8O

But nope, it was real. :evil:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 7:47 pm

TheJazzLovingGuy123 wrote:
I am wondering if you have the same feelings about Will Smith or if you have different feelings about him after he slapped Chris Rock in the face at the Oscars last year. If you would, please share them with me to give me some support as I feel so alone in this situation.

I'm 24 and I have Asperger's and I have liked the actor Will Smith for a long time. With the 'repetition' problem I have, I would constantly brag about him even before he slapped Chris Rock in the face. When I saw him slap Chris Rock in the face for the first time, I completely lost it. I was talking about some of his acts with my mom, and I said, "I really do like Will Smith." and she said, "I'm sorry to hear that you do after he slapped Chris Rock in the face." but I don't really care. My dad has been dealing with my 'repetition' problem any way he can. There are times I feel so left out about this, not knowing that I am not being betrayed in any way.

Some of Will Smith's acts I really enjoy are "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." as it's one of my favorite shows. I have an interest in the 2001 film "Ali." where I think he did great portraying as Muhammad Ali even though he had to gain some weight to do it and I even like the boxer Muhammad Ali myself. I love the Bad Boys movie series he and Martin Lawrence starred in, and I enjoy watching when I'm sick or if the weather is really bad outside.

You can continue to enjoy his movies.

Dont have to disown his work because he is flawed as a person. And just how flawed he really is is an open question.

And it could be worse. You havent seen pics of him hanging with Jeffery Epstein yet, have you?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 9:58 pm

if he makes a 120-frame sequel to gemini man, i may go see it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 11:13 pm

As said one should try and separate the art from the artist. If I boycotted every performer I thought was a jerk or whom I hated their political opinion I would voluntarily deny myself 90+ percent of the good work I would have enjoyed sans boycott

I don't know Will and have not followed his personal life or opinions so I have no judgment about him.

As far as the incident goes as those of you who read my posts know I am anti-cancel culture and give comedians a lot of slack. But unless you know ahead of time the person is ok with it joking about a person's medical condition is as low as one can go. One never knows what one will do when situations come up. Maybe being on national TV would deter me but I think if somebody made fun of somebody I care about medical condition I would be writing this post from jail because Will Smith stopped way way before I probably would have.

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
My mom, my NT sister, and I thought it was a gag when he slapped Chris Rock. 8O

But nope, it was real. :evil:

I was convinced it was a stunt right up until Smith was banned for 10 years. Entertainers creating faux feuds for publicity purposes is a normal part of doing business. Everybody said I was crazy because it looked realistic, but Will Smith is a veteran actor who surely knows how to make fake look real.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2023, 11:36 pm

You could nnot pay me to see him perform. Chris Rock, on the other hand, is someone whom I would pay to see.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 12:49 am

Fnord wrote:
You could nnot pay me to see him perform. Chris Rock, on the other hand, is someone whom I would pay to see.

Well whaddya know! he actually gave his last concert in Nov 18 2021. I think he's too old now, might need a walking frame :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 3:56 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Well whaddya know! he actually gave his last concert in Nov 18 2021. I think he's too old now, might need a walking frame :lol:

Which "he" do ya mean? Smith or Rock?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 3:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
his wife was an equal part of the madness IMHO. it appears that she may have goaded him.

This.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 4:00 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Which "he" do ya mean? Smith or Rock?

Smith

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2023, 4:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
You could not pay me to see him perform. Chris Rock, on the other hand, is someone whom I would pay to see.
Well whaddya know! he actually gave his last concert in Nov 18 2021. I think he's too old now, might need a walking frame.
Movies, concerts, whatever . . . Will Smith's career is dead, as far as I am concerned.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.